Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • What bike to take to Nice?
  • PhilChap

I’m driving over to Nice with the family. We will not be going to bike specifically but it would be rude not to indulge in a bit of riding whilst there. Is it worth taking mountain bikes for us all or should I take the road bike instead for some solo rides? I have never been to France and have no idea of the terrain in that region.

titusrider
    Free Member

Road bike, Col du vence, madone and the high one above barcellonette if ur feeling adventurous!

Easier to navigate and find the good stuff as much as anything

Sandwich

Have a look at Cafe du Cycliste as they have a gpx file of a day ride or two on the area. Col d’Eze and Col de la Madone in one ride. If you can get a lift up to Col de Turini then there’s a lovely downhill ride to Menton to enjoy.

jameso

If you can get a lift up to Col de Turini then there’s a lovely downhill ride to Menton to enjoy.

The off-road riding between the Col Turini and Moulinet (south of Col Turini) is excellent, just look for Piste VTT signs. There’s more good stuff between Moulinet and Sospel, and S of Sospel also, but it’s less easy to find. Easy to end up on steep, loose and rocky choss that’s hard-going in either direction and it seems to get looser the further south you go. Stunning road riding though. If I was based in Nice I’d take the road bike for easy ride fixes.

PhilChap

Cheers, road bike it is 🙂

jonba
    Free Member

how good is your road bike?

I ask because if it is standard carbon with ultegra then you’ll be able to hire something if a similar standard very easily. If you are not too precious about riding your own bike this will save you carrying yours around for the rest of your holiday. Prices in Europe are normally around 30Euro a day for hire.

Road is easier to do without info. Look for the famous hills above and plot a loop out on your map. Much easier than finding secret mountain trails.

honourablegeorge

Take a full susser, drive up the coast to Molini or Finale.

dragon
    Free Member

If you are on the road bike in that region there is shed loads to do. The coast road from Cannes to Saint-Raphael (Frejus) is lovely.

PhilChap

I am taking the van over so space is not an issue. If I take all the MTB’s then I can’t see the wife and kids bothering much. I have a charity ride in September so need to fit a few miles in somewhere. Sounds like the road will be less hassle and enjoyable. Thanks for the suggestions.

plumber
    Free Member

Take a full susser, drive up the coast to Molini or Finale.

Yes

Sounds like the road will be enjoyable

no

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

The topic ‘What bike to take to Nice?’ is closed to new replies.