Viewing 27 posts - 1 through 27 (of 27 total)
  • what bike stuff should I buy in america
  • Fantombiker

Am travelling to New York with work, will have a bit of time to go shopping, got to thinking which bike parts are cheaper in USA, for examples clothing, wheels, shimano? anyone got any bargains?

AlexSimon

Anything imported by Jungle 😉

singlesteed
    Free Member

Intense cycleworks carbine 275 would be on my wish list if I were over there,
    Bargain at Jenson outlet!

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    TiRed

my last purchase was a PDW spanner. I declined the ex-demo Giant Propel SL with Zipp and full Dura Ace one pain of death from the finance director – she did approve a frame only though 😀 . Clothes tend to be good value if discounted – they have much better sales. I bought a nice pair of Specialized shorts down from $90 to $10!

velocipede
    Free Member

I agree with that last comment – I couldn’t believe how cheap intense bikes were in Vermont last month but I didn’t have the cash!!

I did pick up some very nice pearl izumi shoes for £20!!!

nikk
    Free Member

Stuff like Chris King and Cane Creek parts are better value in the USA, and easy to bring back. Keep your purchases under £390 and you don’t have to pay import duty / VAT on return.

Intense cycleworks carbine 275 would be on my wish list if I were over there

Frame USA $2249.99
    Frame UK £1,999.00

$2249.99 in £ = £1412.76

Plus 20% vat = £1694.40

Plus import duty 6.5% = £1804.536

Plus flight in aircraft and insurance?

So you have saved less than £200, and got a grey import frame that, if anything goes wrong, has to be warranted in the USA. That is if it costs nothing to fly over and isn’t damaged on the way.

To me, personally, that is not worth it.

jota180
    Free Member

Garmin stuff has always been way cheaper in the US when I’ve been
    Last time I bought 3, sold 2 here and ended up with mine for free

jonba
    Free Member

Not bike related but peanut butter M&Ms.

gofasterstripes
    Free Member

Stock up on capital A’s, as you’ve clearly run out.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Whatever just remember to declare on the way home 🙂

Steve77
    Free Member

Frame USA $2249.99
    Frame UK £1,999.00
    $2249.99 in £ = £1412.76
    Plus 20% vat = £1694.40
    Plus import duty 6.5% = £1804.536
    Plus flight in aircraft and insurance?

If you buy it online from a retailer in a different state you won’t pay any sales tax, and a lot of people less honest than you or I will then bring it straight through the green channel on the way home and save £600

munrobiker
    Free Member

Priceline and Jenson USA are the websites to look at.

As a rule Shimano is more expensive, big Non-EU brands like Giant are the same and anything discounted is much cheaper.

My next bike will come from the US when I visit the inlaws around 2017, old £10 bike from gumtree over, new bike (having been ridden) back. $200 in charges from the airline but it will still be a great deal.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

old £10 bike from gumtree over, new bike (having been ridden) back

As mentioned previously customs really don’t care what you took out, if you can’t prove that you got the bike in the UK you will still be liable for Duty and VAT. (proof means a receipt etc.)

yourguitarhero
    Free Member

Get a Turner Czar second hand on eBay posted to your accommodation.
    Have a fake receipt from whoever you bought it used off of Gumtree UK ready to show customs if they complain.

munrobiker
    Free Member

As mentioned previously customs really don’t care what you took out, if you can’t prove that you got the bike in the UK you will still be liable for Duty and VAT. (proof means a receipt etc.)

Noted, I’ll have a fake to hand when I do it.

toby1

Beer is pretty good in the US, hope that helps.

Get yourself to Blind Tiger on Bleeker street for an evening.

zerocool

We were in NY last year and none of the bike shops we found were that great. Certainly didn’t have a good selection of MTBs. Maybe you can mailorder some stuff though

fr0sty125
    Free Member

I have noticed Marzocchi seems to be significantly cheaper in the US.

passtherizla
    Free Member

Clothing is always a lot cheaper.

MoreCashThanDash

Bookmarks thread and passes it colleagues in “that” part of HMRC to keep an eye out for Munrobiker on his return.

Obviously tax avoidance by celebs and corporations is morally indefensible, but if it’s bikes…… 😉

matther01
    Free Member

KS LEV if you don’t already have a dropper

mikewsmith
    Free Member

@mikewsmith Yeah but thousands of us fly with bike every year – I don’t know anyone who’s arrived home after a riding break and been asked to prove they bought their bike in the UK and weren’t importing it.

Most of those are within Europe which is a common market, true international can be different.

munrobiker
    Free Member

Meh, I don’t support what the current government does with my taxes anyway.

nedrapier

Indulgent or slighlty indulgent bling like King cages, (Ti or SS respectively).

Stuff that’s nice, but you could only bring yourself to buy if was half the price.

BillOddie

Assuming you mean NYC, rather than upstate…

Clothing, Chris King, etc would be my call.

Most bikeshops in NYC are (or atleast were) very fixie/road focussed.

The massive outdoors shop Paragon Sports (18th and Broadway) is good for clothing.

Also Patagonia outdoorsy kit is ace and much cheaper there, there is a flagship store in NYC.

shifter
    Free Member

I’ve been to America with a bike and a snowboard many times, never been asked for a receipt. Likewise phone, tablet, camera, clothes.

TiRed

And obviously something from Colorado.

I brought back Kreiteler Rollers a few years ago and a Stages Power meter. Both were unavailable in the UK at the time.

Viewing 27 posts - 1 through 27 (of 27 total)

The topic ‘what bike stuff should I buy in america’ is closed to new replies.