Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • What bike should I get?
  • jb79
    Free Member

This is getting expensive… so what should I do?

Currently got a ti 456 with fox talas 110-140 forks which I’m just not liking very much – feels a bit dull and slow to me. Before that I had a santa cruz BLT (2) which also felt a bit slow, thought it was the suspension (hence switching to the 456) but I guess it might have been the geometry. My background is in XC racing (in the mid 90’s) but it’s definitely background and I don’t like riding those sort of bikes much now. Favourite sort of riding is flowing singletrack and don’t mind the odd fireroad climb. Beginning to wonder if it’s just the rider that’s the problem or whether it’s just that biking has moved on and I’ve got fatter?!

stumpy01

Something like a Spesh Epic/Epic Evo or maybe a Giant Anthem??

Not sure about ‘fast/racy’ hardtails……

Why not demo/trial a few things before buying another bike that feels ‘slow’??

PS – It could be that you have indeed got fatter. 😀

davidtaylforth
    Free Member

Cotic Soul, get one of them.

thomthumb
    Free Member

Giant Anthem

thats what i was going to say.

FunkyDunc
    Free Member

What he said… get fitter!

However I think there is some thing to be said for more modern slack angled bikes being harder work than back in the day bikes… well thats my excuse any how and why I am currently buying an Anthem X2

jb79
    Free Member

Undoubtedly need to get fitter. I think the dullness of the bikes I’ve had recently actually = stability if you can push them hard enough, but I can’t so they just feel dull. Cheers for the suggestions.

z1ppy

So you want a fast racey feeling bike but not a XC race type style… err…ummm…

jb79
    Free Member

Yup, that’s right!

What I mean is I’m past the 90’s long top tube hardtail, 80mm travel fork etc type of bike and want something a bit more comfortable but that doesn’t feel a bit dead – not really sure how different the newer more xc orientated bikes are compared to what was around back in the 90’s.

Kryton57

Maybe consider a steel frame – that’d feel a bit more lively and might be cheaper too. Genesis Latitude fits that “lively not dull” description – there are others but thats the one I’ve ridden/have and can vouch for.

Oh, and a pair of racing ralphs for speed. 🙂

Pawsy_Bear
    Free Member

Zesty 714

z1ppy

I don’t think any modern XC hardtail is going to be as ‘bad’ as early 90’s HT’s. Your going to get at least 100mm of suspension (that works unlike 90’s stuff), and no one produces bikes with silly steep angles anymore (do they?).
    Sounds like a HT would be more you cup of tea than a full susser though.
    Get down to you LBS(s) for some demo’s.

wrecker
    Free Member

Look at a turner flux.

donsimon
    Free Member

Off road I spend my time between a race oriented Orbea Alma or the lardier Pipedream Sirius. While they are different, they provide different experiences, however, neither of them are slow. I think you need to look at the motor.

Trekster

You just need to test ride as many bikes as you can. Took me 3yrs and many demo days and test rides. Ended up with a bike that was(is)not very fashionable but it is the bike I found suited my “style” and needs. There is no one size fits all, hence the choice. I am currently liking the looks of the Scott Genius. The rear shock is now 5/6 yrs into development so should work fine now

messiah
    Free Member

Post up a pic of your Ti456 so we can see how you have it set up… it might be the huge saddle bag 💡

But seriously, they are not slow feeling bikes and can easily be set up in a racey type stylie, so it would be good to understand your set up.

ruscle
    Free Member

Try your talas on a Yeti ASR-5 frame, thats what I run, fast bike, loves the flowing single track as well as the quick and rough stuff. Frame can be had for around £1350 from Freeflow bikes, or you can get it full price from them with CK headset and BB. Great bike, best I have had the pleasure to own.

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)

The topic ‘What bike should I get?’ is closed to new replies.