• This topic has 44 replies, 26 voices, and was last updated 10 years ago by kcal.
Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 45 total)
  • What bike rack, towing ball 2 bikes. On a 205 GTI…
  • hexhamstu
    Free Member

Going to pick this up on saturday and need it to carry two bikes.

Recommendations?

Is this as crap as I think it is?

kcal

no idea but brings back memories, F reg for me too — F 875 PST where are you now??

parkesie
    Free Member

Bikes in the car or theyl be off on the 1st bend 🙂

bookwyse
    Free Member

http://www.halfords.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/product_storeId_10001_catalogId_10151_productId_751137_langId_-1_categoryId_165477

I have one of these that I’m going to be selling soon if your close to Kent or enroute to Derby.

sharkattack

Lost a couple of bikes off the back of a 1.9 Gti once. No matter how good the rack was we could always corner too fast for it.

himupstairs

nice.
    had one too – same colour and age – and tended to just sling bikes in the back. they are surprisingly spacious for a wee car.
    re. the ebay one – doesn’t look like you’d be able to get in the boot without removing it, which might be a bit annoying.
    a friend had a similarish one and although basic it did the job. just have to make sure it’s fitted properly and bikes are well tied on.
    or they’ll be off on the first bend..

hexhamstu
    Free Member

Yeah they are surprisingly big with the seats down, but I have a dog now who needs to go in the car.

Thanks for the offer bookwyse but I’m in Swansea.

Edric64
    Free Member

Not crap at all I paid £15 for one of those racks about 8 years ago and have used it lots .Managed to get 3 bikes on it once.

pugster007
    Free Member

I had an F reg Pug Gti, F408 KFC.

project
    Free Member

Had a similar bike rack worked well but tie and chain bikes onto it as theyll just be lifted off, also beaware in some areas children and adults with childlike minds will start trying to do pull ups on the bars at the traffic lights,even when you drive off.

AND DONT FORGET THYRE THERE WHEN REVERSING, YOU MAY SPEAR A GRANNY,

PePPeR

Lovely looking car but the GTi’s don’t look right with a tow bar on them and as it shows in the picture its a pain as you have to remove the ball to keep the number plate visible!

jam-bo

Thule express 970. Got one on the back of my a3. Lives in the boot, takes 20s to fit. Secure as.

dc11
    Free Member

Ahh, brings back fond memories. Cheap petrol and lift-off oversteer.

higthepig
    Free Member

Your chioce of car is totally unsuitable and you should sell it to me at a loss

takisawa2

And, get those wheels put back to standard man… 🙂

fourbanger
    Free Member

My first car was an XS, then got a 1.6. Still want another drop the seats, plenty of room. Off to check autotrader…

slowoldman

Thule EuroWay G2 921 here. Easy to fit in a few seconds. Locks to tow bar, bikes lock to rack. Tilts so you can get in the boot with it fitted.

Not cheap, but then nor are bikes.

withersea
    Free Member

Loving the car. Drove a proper rally version once (simmonite sisters) oh my god how fast!

hexhamstu
    Free Member

Lovely looking car but the GTi’s don’t look right with a tow bar on them and as it shows in the picture its a pain as you have to remove the ball to keep the number plate visible!

Obviously the tow bar is not ideal, but it’s already on there so why not.

eat_more_cheese
    Free Member

G543NUM. God I miss that fast little tyke.

orangeboy
    Free Member

Lift over steer and crazy corner speed. I so want other
    No help with the rack sorry

michaelbowden

G843ALP. I miss it.

hexhamstu
    Free Member

Haha, how did this become a “list your old 205 gti number plates” thread?

H413SAO
    F838ROU
    G727BRU
    G883TUW

kcal

can I add the predecessor to F875PST, E280KAS – 1.6 GTI.
    Preferred the 1.9 🙂

Lent it to a mate while I was abroad, luckily he returned it with it and him in one piece!

not sure I have any pics, will have to look..

oliverd1981
    Free Member

Aiston Rack.

If you ask him nicelly hell’ give you some offcuts to strap to the front bumper to help keep the front wheels on the ground

hexhamstu
    Free Member

Aiston Rack.

If you ask him nicelly hell’ give you some offcuts to strap to the front bumper to help keep the front wheels on the ground

How easy are the Aiston Racks to put on a take off?

tarquin
    Free Member

Try and fit the bikes in the car first!

I used to put my MTB in the back of my 306 Rallye OK, front wheel off and lay the rear seats down. Was a 20″ frame too so not a small bike.

hexhamstu
    Free Member

There will be a giant dog in the car. The bikes won’t go in it. It’s easier to put the bikes on the back of the car than the dog.

hexhamstu
    Free Member

He’s as big as a horse, so many I could tow a small horse box.

Sundayjumper

Anything by Thule. Can’t go wrong with Thule.

And as mentioned, that cheapie rack will block access to the boot, which is going to be a massive PITA if you’re needing to get the dog in & out. I’d go for a roof rack.

kcal

hexhamstu, I’m not that close, but I may have a set of roof bars for a 205..

hexhamstu
    Free Member

kcal – Member
    hexhamstu, I’m not that close, but I may have a set of roof bars for a 205..

How much do you want for them?

kcal

I’ll need to check they are actually for the 205 — and I still have ’em in the garage (Aladdin’s cave of stuff!!).

Postage + nominal donation to charity box? I’ll get a pic or two and email you stu?

[Edit] – been to garage. had a look. there are a couple of bars – steel Thule type bars. Look like some ski racks and some other bits.

Thing is, not sure if the bars are for the 205 or the BX I had before the 205s.. !! there’s a foot pack attached, maybe if I take a pic it might clarify if it might fit?

parkesie
    Free Member

image by Parkesiemtb, on Flickr

Hedge bound missiles.

murf
    Free Member

I’ve got a Gti6 powered 205, it’s a lot of fun!

Parkesie, how did you manage that? Looks like you’re parked there deliberately!

hexhamstu
    Free Member

kcal – email me a picture I’ll ask around “myusername”@gmail.com

Cheers!

brassneck

Go Outdoors were sellling 2 bike Saris Bones boot racks cheap at the moment, worth a look they’re good carriers.

parkesie
    Free Member

Was a little ambitious on a 90degree right and didnt quite make the exit 🙂 was properly stuck in the hedge.

hexhamstu
    Free Member

Lucky you missed the sign! Must have been pretty close.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

How easy are the Aiston Racks to put on a take off?

Needs a socket and driver (or a spanner), but it’s still as quick as any other method, no need to thread anything they just nip up. I just keep one in the boot for the car as the only way it’s slower is if you lose the spanner/socket.

Completely secure though, I’ve used mine without any additional straps or ties with no worries on some bikes. Others the angle of the tubes mean it’ll still roll off the suppourts if you shove it, so a bungee through the rim and wheel suppourt stops that.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 45 total)

The topic ‘What bike rack, towing ball 2 bikes. On a 205 GTI…’ is closed to new replies.