Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)
  • What bike if you only have room for one?
  • jamesgarbett
    Free Member

It must be a mountain bike but if I wanted to use it for commuting etc would this be a good choice?

29er hardtail
    Air sprung forks with lockout
    Spare set of wheels with slick tyres

Much as I like my Crosscheck I can’t quite bring myself to use it on rocky descents but soon I will only have room for one bike

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

I’d have a Stumpjumper FSR. They’ll do pretty much anything IME. 🙂

richcc
    Free Member

You almost guessed the right answer but fluffed it.
    26″ wheel Cotic Soul
    Air sprung forks with lockout
    Spare set of wheels with slick tyres

Hope that’s sorted you out

Stoner
    Free Member

Its what I would do (but then I only own 29ers)

Try and make sure your calliper mounting are both post mounts so that you can do quick calliper re-centering when you swap the wheels over, unless you build the wheels on identical hubs and rotors. Alternatively you might need to shim the rotor on one set to match the other.

stevede
    Free Member

What a horrible predicament! If i were to be forced kicking and screaming down this route i’d be looking at something like a Giant Trance or a Stumpy, at the moment i ride a Cotic Soul and a Spesh Pitch and as much as i love the Soul i couldn’t have it as my only bike.

clubber
    Free Member

I’d stick with my Swift – with a spare set forks to swap between rigid and front sus

in reality, I ain’t giving up any of my five main bikes 😉

rob2
    Free Member

If I had to keep one it would be my chameleon.

Truly brilliant bikes

Totally irrelevant to the OP, but I generally only ride one bike – an ’08 S-Works Enduro, does everything brilliantly.

Have a HT steel Kona in the shed though

yossarian
    Free Member

I had to do this for a bit and I had a swift plus alfine. Just swapped the tyres out and rode rigid everywhere. It won’t kill you.

catnash
    Free Member

Stumpjumper evo. Lock out the fork and rear pro-pedal for the fireorad stuff. Great all-round bike for my needs.
    For commuting I’d use it as well.

ruscle
    Free Member

I only have 1 bike as don’t see the point with having anymore as I only want to ride this bike, my Yeti ASR-5 with 140 talas, CK hubs on stans rims, reverb post with brooks saddle, xx gears with middleburn duo cranks and hope tech x2 brakes and riding on fat conti tyres. Never will wish for more.

robdeanhove
    Free Member

Easy! A 29er hartail, just like my Santa Cruz Highball of course

Here’s a pic of actually commuting to work too!

With a lockout fork, of course, as you say. It’s fast and light enough for XC. Did a great job leading a few laps of TwentyFour12 24hr solo (until I swapped bikes with a puncture and the rear mech exploded on the other).

I wouldn’t bother with a second set of wheels and tyres, just pop a fast rolling tyre on the back, something like a Crossmark or a Saguaro with a reasonably solid centre rear tread. My experience is the faff of swapping cassettes, wheels, re-aligning brakes isn’t worth it and the knobblies stay on. The cost of a full wheelset, spare discs, tyres, cassette pays for a lot of new rear tyres 😉

Rob
    bigrobracing.co.uk

ton

swift, with 2 sets of forks, on air sus and one rigid, and two sets of wheels…………..just like i am sorting now.

robdeanhove
    Free Member

Ooh – An Alfined swift… now that’s a low maintenance thought…..

yossarian
    Free Member

Ooh – An Alfined swift… now that’s a low maintenance thought…..

I’ve pumped the tyres up a few times and I think that’s about it.

smell_it
    Free Member

I only have one mtb, ai cotic soul with a fairly moderate spec, what a horrible predicament.

sv

I have a Pitch (with DHX5 coil and Lyriks) and a steel 456 and may have to reduce to n=1 🙁 . Thinking I might return the Pitch to something a bit lighter (RP23 and a nice 140mm fork) but could also go 456 only bit maybe a carbon one, mmm what to do!

robdeanhove
    Free Member

There’s a second question:

“What to do with all the cash if I sell all my other bikes and leave myself with just one?” 😉

Rob
    http://www.bigrobracing.co.uk

TheGingerOne

Rob, If you had a chain wear indicator tool you would not need to swap the cassette over when changing wheels.
    I run 2 sets of wheels on my Tinbred (both Hope sport hubs) and have not changed either cassette yet, after over 3 years of use and a couple of chains. I just swap the wheels over in seconds, though am toying with rebuilding the commuting wheels with 700c rims.

chiefgrooveguru

A Cotic Soul – and a Brompton for tarmac duties, thus solving the space problem!

toys19
    Free Member

It’s the Bfe for me. Love it.

rickmeister

That will be the Mojo I have now, its my only bike…

jameso

For a bit of road, dirt-road mix rides and singletrack, a good rigid 29er is hard to beat as an all-rounder. If you have sus forks for the off-road weekends even better, but the fun-factor of a rigid 29er may mean you’re happy on the rigid forks all the time – depends on where you ride off-road and who you ride with really.

I have too many bikes and have bought a rigid 29er to replace my CX bike, my rigid SS MTB and potentially my 26″ 120mm HT. Keep a FS for weekends away and use the 29er for all but long road rides. I can imagine being quite happy on it as an only bike if space dictated it.

Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)

The topic ‘What bike if you only have room for one?’ is closed to new replies.