Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • What bike for the transrockies
  • ianpinder
    Free Member

If you didn’t have a budget what bike would you buy for the transrockies

MrNutt
    Free Member

maybe an alpine 160 built up with the best money can buy? if I wanted more lightness then it’d be a five built up without compromise.

13thfloormonk

Mrnutt, are you thinking about a different race? 80-100km days for seven days at full race pace on a 7" full suspension bike? ; )

The Five might make more sense but i’d have my current bike (Charge Duster with 4" rebas, XT discs and tubeless mavic wheels with a shimano drivetrain, ti seatpost , flat bars and stubby bar ends) but with the top of the range equivalents, so

Ti Duster Frame
    4" Reba world cups/teams
    XTR discs
    Continental Rubber Queen 2.2 tyres on whatever the lightest tubeless set up is atm, Stans?
    Moots post (comfort and lightweight)
    XTR drivetrain with maybe some extra thought put into the crankset, Middleburn on SKF or something similarly robust
    Prologo Vertigo Max saddle (personal, but the fat nose makes seated, steep climbs easier)

I don’t think that race takes many prisoners, but the above bike would be light, tough yet capable on descents.

mrpink
    Free Member

My Turner Flux with a mix of sram xo and xtr.

ChunkyMTB
    Free Member

Turner Flux for me too, mrpink speaketh sense.

thomthumb
    Free Member

superlight full suss i reckon.

maybe a scott spark or genius carbon or the commencal carbon super 4

stuartie_c
    Free Member

I’m having the same thoughts for the Transalp.

Options are Kinesis Maxlight XC Pro 2 or Titus Racer X.

I’d like to have each built up as light as possible, though the Kinesis is looking pretty reliable as it stands, even if it’s not as light as it could be.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Folks I know who did it last year were on a Contessa Genius and a Cove Hustler. Both with a "sensible" build. Nothing loony light, but nothing too heavy.

You need to be able to shoulder the bike for long periods, as well as having enough bounce to help you get through the rough stuff when you’re knackered.

To my mind, a light(ish) 4" travel bike would be the pick.

roundwheels
    Free Member

motor bike?

BearBack
    Free Member

Scott Spark and an entry into the BC bike race 😉

njee20
    Free Member

A friend of mine’s just got one of these frames to build for the TransAlp. It came in at 1020g, which is seriously impressive for that money.

From what I understand the Trans Rockies is more technical, so I’d use a very light FS, something like my Epic, with some very light wheels and bits. Could get it to 20lbs without too much faff!

ianpinder
    Free Member

I was thinking of a nice custom nicolai helius rc, or a nice hardtail, built up with full xtr, probably shimano brakes, tho maybe hope brakes and kings on 819 tubeless wheels and some bolt thru rebas or fox 120s

beej

Most common bike there last year was Rocky Mountain ETSX-Team – couple of friends did it (and they were on RMs too). There is lots of carrying too though.

matt_outandabout

superlight?

matt_outandabout

actually – Jet9…

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)

The topic ‘What bike for the transrockies’ is closed to new replies.