Viewing 31 posts - 1 through 31 (of 31 total)
  • What bike for the alps
  • olliehux
    Free Member

I am going to the alps ect.morzine,les gets .i will be doing downhill but not too mad. I am wondering what bike would be the best.i don’t really want a full dh just something that can handle dh and do a bit of xc
    Many thanks

nickjb
    Free Member

What do you have at the moment?

olliehux
    Free Member

Just a hardtail nothing for dh

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    Captain-Pugwash
    Free Member

http://www.saracen.co.uk/bikes/all-mountain/ariel-151

Lovely to ride up and down hills.

coolhandluke
    Free Member

My first time to Morzine I took my 2006 s-works Enduro with 130mm forks, because that’s what I had.

It was fine.

Next time I took the same bike but with DHX coil shock and 160mm Fox 36’s, that was fine too but in a better way.

The third time I was on a 2010 Enduro with fox 36’s , it was ok but as I was always riding my hardtail those days, it took me a few days to get into the Enduro and get up to speed with not choosing lines etc, it was my alp bike and only got used in the Alps.

Forth time as third, still took me a few days to get up to speed, again

Moral of the story, take what you have that most suits the place and make sure you are used to it or the first couple of days can be a bit of a learning curve.

This time, I’ve only got one bike (Santa Cruz blur with cane creek double barrel and Pikes) so hopefully the getting used to it stuff won’t be happening. No mincing on day 1.

Edit, the best time I had was on the s-works, because I was used to it as it was my only bike.

As an option, buy a full sus frame and swap your bits over. My mate bought an old Commencal frame and took it to andorra last year, he survived and so did the frame, you could probably buy it from him if you like, I think he’d take £150 if it was offered to him.

olliehux
    Free Member

Thanks

Rosss
    Free Member

I’ll be taking my 160 Ibis Mojo HD this year too. I went two years ago with a Norco team DH but I found DH bikes too restrictive on which trails you can get to/ ride.

olliehux
    Free Member

So an “all mountain” would probably be the best

coolhandluke
    Free Member

Yep

mattbilliard
    Free Member

I use my Blur LT. My mate rides a hard tail and is just as quick as me

Northwind

Are you definitely going to Morzine, or is it just “the alps”? Reason I ask is, there are places to go and some cater brilliantly to more normal bikes, frinstance I’ve been out twice to the Les Arcs area and I’d not dream of taking the dh bike there, my normal full suss is perfect and my hardtail would be fine too. So, maybe you could tailor your holiday slightly more to the bike? (whether that be the bike you own, or the bike you’re about to buy).

(also, if I was to go on a pure dh holiday and take the big bike, I’d be in hospital by the wednesday!)

dantsw13

Ollie – will this be a regular Alps trip, or a one off?
    Can you justify an “Alps Bike” as a second bike, or will it be your main bike afterwards?

I’d recommend a second hand AM bike with 160 forks, and sell it afterwards for similar cash.

I have a Santa Cruz Heckler with Marzocchi 55’s for Alps trips.

Olly
    Free Member

160mm in whatever you can buy/like.

Single pivot would be less to go wrong (pain in the arse spending money going to the alps then smashing something important early on in the week) I would go for reliability over anything else.

Heckler with 55s is a v good call.

Coil/Air hybrid 55rs are pretty cheap and should be good!
    Hecklers are easy to get hold of and solid.
    Whatever brakes you like, but with nice big rotors for cooling on the longer descents. (your arms will likely give up before your brakes do)

Think about spares too, if you are uplifting, chuck in a singlespeed tensioner and conversion kit to guarantee you wont need it.

torihada
    Free Member

Northwind – Member
    Are you definitely going to Morzine, or is it just “the alps”? Reason I ask is, there are places to go and some cater brilliantly to more normal bikes, frinstance I’ve been out twice to the Les Arcs area and I’d not dream of taking the dh bike there, my normal full suss is perfect and my hardtail would be fine too. So, maybe you could tailor your holiday slightly more to the bike? (whether that be the bike you own, or the bike you’re about to buy).

Good advice above.

If I was going back to Morzine/Chatel I’d take my DH bike. For Les Arcs this July I’ll be on a 160mm FS.

Jeffus
    Free Member

160mm – 140mm would be spot on for most trails , last time I went I had a SC Heckler 150mm rear 160mm up front, both coil, sturdy wheels and dual ply tyres Super tacky front and a bag of brake pads, cause I was a wimp braking too much…. 😀

cardo

Orange 5 with 140 or 160 forks and a set of DH tyres and you will be able to ride pretty much everything.. Really simple to maintain very tough and a very capable bike that makes descending easier than it should be. You will see plenty of them out there, you’ll discover why.

reggiegasket
    Free Member

a lot of the trails in Morzine/Les Gets/Chatel are pretty DH and last time I was there (2 years ago) they were fairly rough in places. If you stick to the standard marked trails then I’d say go as DH as possible, as it will get a proper battering. If you can go off piste a bit more then an AM rig starts to make more sense. I did this last time on a 160mm Remedy with Lyriks and a coil shock which worked well but on the DH runs this was only just enough really.

mrhoppy

olliehux – Member

Good god no man. It’s Enduro or nothing now!

tasteslikeburning
    Free Member

I’ve had great fun on my Zesty (140mm) riding Morzine/Les Gets/Chatel. Some sort of chain devise, dual ply tyres and better brakes or at least better than Formula R1’s!

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Morzine? The biggest and cheapest you can find on pink bike

coolhandluke
    Free Member

Morzine? The biggest and cheapest you can find on pink bike

Good advice, a mate, on his first time bought a Cannondale Gemini? for £320. He rode the wheels off it for the week and sold it for £400 when he got back. It had been well hammered and then some, but one thoughtful owner did repaint it, with a brush!

mrblobby
    Free Member

Did Morzine, Les Gets and Chatel a few years ago on a NP Mega I’d built up with a set of 160 lyriks. Won’t be going quite as fast as on a proper DH bikes but I didn’t feel it held me back. Was good to be able to explore the more XC/enduro type trails as well as the DH runs. Would still like to go back sometime on a proper DH bike though.

glasgowdan
    Free Member

If you want to get the most of your holiday, and the plan is downhill, then get a bloody downhill bike. You’d be amazed at how much a 160mm bike can get pinged around on a lot of the dh trails out there. A dh bike will let you pick your lines and stay on them, maintain your speed and make the most of all the trail features. I wouldn’t do a dh holiday to morzine on anything but a dh bike.

carlphillips
    Free Member

^^+1 what he said.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

How long are you going for?
    Is this getting like skiing? People buying phatt powder planks for a one week a year trip?

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Is this getting like skiing? People buying phatt powder planks for a one week a year trip?

Most people only ski for 1 week per year though.

If you have an XC bike the cost to do the “Alp Upgrades” is normally about the same as something big from pink bike.

ajt123
    Free Member

If you want to do the downhill stuff round Morzine I would go for a 180mm free-ride bike – something like a Scott Voltage – plenty of bounce and solid as a rock, but a bit more playful than a full DH bike – I assume you’re not a racer boy?

Probably go coil too. Cheaper, less to go wrong and no worries about weight with uplift.

chakaping
    Free Member

I’d look for a nice secondhand Spicy.

tomaso
    Free Member

If you want to hit the big stuff then its DH bike you need. YT Tuesday and Saracen Must are the bargain go to DH sleds. But also seen Summums go for £1300.
    However you won’t die on your hardtail. I went in 2002 on. Klein with Marz air forks and a single disc up front – it was great 🙂

Carpediem
    Free Member

I’m in a similar predicament – Going in June for the first time. Currently Riding a 2010 Enduro. Going to put some high roller 2’s and Minions on ( use these on uplift days in Cwmcarn, so I know the feel of them ) and upgrade front brake ( back done already) I’ll be getting forks and back shock serviced too ( again, this will be the first one for them – will upgrade the cartridge too under advise )

Apart from spare pads, mech hanger and other lil spares, I’m thinking this will be fine.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

tomaso – Member
    If you want to hit the big stuff then its DH bike you need. YT Tuesday and Saracen Must are the bargain go to DH sleds. But also seen Summums go for £1300.

Go look on pink bike for under 500. 1300 is not cheap for a try it toy.

Viewing 31 posts - 1 through 31 (of 31 total)

The topic ‘What bike for the alps’ is closed to new replies.

Members Notice New deal added to Members Discounts