Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 69 total)
  • What bike for South Downs Way in a Day attempt?
  • pnik

I’m going to do the SDW in a day, not like the super heroes, one way, in the hours of daylight. I’ve a 2004 Orange 5 and a basic Charge Duster. Was wondering whether something like a scandal 29er, might be the way to go, I have a opportunity to get a good deal on a new 5, but suspect thats not really a mile munching all day bike really. Or should I just invest some love in lightening one of the existing beasts. Suspect a 29er Santa Cruz fs would be ideal, but I dont have those funds.
    And yes I know I have opened the flood gates to some abuse, but…

wwaswas

short travel fs or hardtail with a bit of compliance and a Ti/carbon post.

You want something light with a bit of give at the back really.

No experience of 29ers but I think the sdw is the sort of terrain they’d probably excel at.

ibnchris

Do it on what ever is most comfortable. So probably the existing 5 with a tad more air in the shocks. It’s long hard slog…

Despite what some people say I think full sus works well for marathon style adventures. YOur body feels noticeably less wrecked afterwards.

loum
    Free Member

I’d guess your Charge Duster would be ideal. Compliant steel HT frame – perfect. If you need to spend, look into tyres. Wet chalk is horrible, but sorry, I don’t know the answer to WTF SDW.

ruscle
    Free Member

One with an engine 😉

brassneck

Tyre wise I’d go with racing ralphs, or if it’s been wet Bonty Mud X.

Actually if it were raining I’d wait till it dried up 🙂

Shorty121
    Free Member

I would suggest the full sus as it gives a bit more comfort over long distances

Mackem

The duster, but buy a new bike anyway.

thomthumb
    Free Member

duster sounds ideal imo.

ibnchris

+1 on avoiding if wet. SDW is horrible in the mud, mainly because it’s more like clay. I’ve been brought to a complete standstill up there before. Admittedly it was on hardtail with v-brakes.

TimP
    Free Member

I am hoping to have a go later this year in a very similar way. I have a Sub5 and a Genesis i0. I was planning to swap to the Genesis at Brighton (I live there so was planning on getting the wife to bring it up to the Devils Dyke car park)

nuke

I reckon wwaswas has it right.

If you’re not use to spending hours and hours in the saddle, comfort is key imo. Way I figure is that you can drink/eat if you’re dehydrated/low in energy but aches/pains from constant riding are far harder to resolve on a ride once they’ve started.

So choose the bike that’s most comfortable over long distances…if that’s the Orange, look at ways of lightening it up (Tyre choice will help…lighter tyres with less rolling resistance).

phinbob

I’ve had two goes:-

1st time in a group (4) with a heckler FS – result FAIL – too many differieng paces at different points on the ride, plus a heavyish bike.

2nd time (month later) solo on a Boardman Alu Hardtail – result – success – went for small block 8’s and kept it light.

I’d say if you have a XC hardtail of the pretty light variety, like a spark or something use that but keepint it light and efficient is the best way.

JoB
    Free Member

whichever bike you’re going to be swearing at less grinding up the 37th long draggy climb

PolisherMan

I did it on a 4″ FS with random cheap semi-slicks bought for it, mate did it on steel hardtail with wornout fat tyres for a bit of comfort…..we were both sha…. rather tired 10 1/2 hours later.

StefMcDef
    Free Member

True dat, about the comfort. The length of the ride amplifies aches and pains.

Don’t overpack your rucksack, thinking you’ll need to take the kitchen sink in case anything goes wrong. The time I tried the SDW a heavier-than-usual camelbak had the most deleterious effect on morale.

loum
    Free Member

as another point, how about london to brighton off road as a trial/warm-up.
    Its about 120 km , so nowhere near as far or hilly, and deffinately a “do in a day” mission. I’d like to try SDW myself, but will be doing the london-brighton route first, and hope it’ll teach me a bit about what kit for the other.

diawl2
    Free Member

Something with wide handlebars to mount your iPad or whatever so you can watch movies to pass the time. It’s excruciatingly boring!

tomaso
    Free Member

Giant Anthem or some other short travel XC whippet would be good.

br
    Free Member

Whatever you do, avoid it if there has been (heavy) rain recently, and it gets harder/hilly the further away from Winchester you are…

Double padded shorts helped me 🙂

dantsw13

Pnik, not sure how familiar you are with the SDW? The climbs are long but fairly non technical, likewise the downs. I would say definitely suiting light rather than gnarly. I would definitely not go for the 5 (great bike tho it is) as it will hurt on the climbs with no advantage on the long but not tech downs. If you can manage all day on the Duster, and you have it built light, perfect. If you were buying just for this event, I would recommend a sub 27lb 100/120mm FS, maybe even a 29er(never ridden one tho)

wwaswas

tbh, as preparation for the ‘sdw in a day’ ride I’d do a ‘half the sdw in a day’ one.

you’ll really know what works and also have an idea of the route.

Maybe do from Brighton to Eastbourne? It’s only a third or so but has some of the tougher climbs and will be then end of it when you do it for real so might help to know it in advance?

jambalaya
    Free Member

I was up walking on the SDW last weekend, a really lovely sunny afternoon. As my boots stuck in the strange mixture of chalk, clay and mud it occurred to me what a hate mission riding there in those conditions must be. Completing the ride is a significant achievement is a masochistic sort of way.

wwaswas

a hate mission riding there in those conditions must be

I think most of us who live local ride it when it’s like that just so we can be ever so grateful when it’s dry and make the most of it 🙂

bikewhisperer
    Free Member

wwaswas has it spot on. I did it on a nice light steel hardtail with a carbon post and 100mm forks. If it’s dry get some fast rolling tyres on, if it’s not then wait until it’s dry! Flints can be a problem cutting thin tyres, but I got away fine on some Bontrager Joneses. It’s worth taking something to act as a tyre boot just in case. I had a chopped open toothpaste tube.

ibnchris

does anyone have the london to brighton off road route as a GPS file? Where does it start. In London I mean!

RoterStern
    Free Member

I did it quite a few years ago in torrential rain. I wouldn’t recommend doing that and one of our group decided to do it on his CX bike. He spent most of the downs sliding on his ass and the rest of the time fixing punctures about every 5 miles or so!So I wouldn’t recommend that either.

Paceman
    Free Member

Whatever you’re comfortable on and normally ride for epic rides will do nicely. Stamina, staying hydrated, and refuelling properly are your main enemies for a SDW in a day attempt… oh and a tailwind helps 😀

loum
    Free Member

ibnchris
    I’ve seen it on garmin connect. Search london brighton there. Starts near richmond park, goes west along the river then turns south at weybridge area, crosses the M25 very close to the a3, then joins downs link.

One other question please, without wanting to get into the larger debate, would people wear a helmet on this ride?
    Personally I think I would especially if solo, but would be very tempted to strap it to the camelbak on the climbs.

njee20
    Free Member

Yes I would. How is that remotely relevant 😕

ibnchris

Cheers Loum, will have a look.

I always used to be a part time helmet wearer (off for climbs and pootles) and then started getting seriously nagged by my girlfriend.

I then found a helmet that I barely notice and so it stays on the whole time. It’s taken me around 20 years of riding to find that helmet mind. It’s a very cheap Bell one. Just seems to work.

jimification
    Free Member

Hardtail if you’re going for a fast time, full bouncer if you are just trying to complete it. Try to go as light as possible as you will be carrying everything up 10,000ft of climbing. If there’s a headwind forecasted, pick another day.

I did it on an old Sub 5 a couple of years ago and that was a good choice – you really appreciate the comfort after 80 miles!

Good luck!

zilog6128

does anyone have the london to brighton off road route as a GPS file? Where does it start. In London I mean!

http://www.bikely.com/maps/bike-path/London-to-Brighton-off-orad

aracer
    Free Member

would be very tempted to strap it to the camelbak on the climbs.

Because you notice the weight less when it’s not on your head? 😯

If it’s a heat thing, then maybe you just need a better helmet – I overheat more than most, but wouldn’t even consider the idea of taking my helmet off for that reason except in a heatwave.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

Helemt – yes, why wouldn’t you, unless you intended to have a TJ induced rotational injury, I don’t buy his claim that it’s more likely than the “smashing rocks through skull” type injuries. I’m lucky though, my wierd shaped head fits Giro L/XL helmets perfectly, currently rocking an E2 which I barely notice despite my long flowing lucious locks mop top.

Bike – Anthem-X 29er? I do buy into the whole better rolling/more comfortble thing, and I’d not want slack angles over that kind of distance as I find them hard work manhalndling wide bars/short stem/slack forks on long rides. On a budget any of the 29er hardtaisl would probably do, I’d happily do it on my rigid swift.

bikewhisperer
    Free Member

If there’s a headwind forecasted, pick another day.

Or just get on the train and do it the other way around!

Paceman
    Free Member

would be very tempted to strap it to the camelbak on the climbs.

How heavy is your helmet???

thomthumb
    Free Member

if your thinking you can stop at top & bottom of every climb and take bag off helemt on, bag back on or the reverse you have the SDW all wrong.

there are no massive climbs (feel like it though) but it’s up down up down for 100 miles.

wwaswas

as above – you have to keep riding, if you stop at the top of every climb you’ll double the time it takes you.

loum
    Free Member

aracer, as you suspect – entirely a heat thing.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 69 total)

The topic ‘What bike for South Downs Way in a Day attempt?’ is closed to new replies.