Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)
  • What bike for my next (big) birthday?
  • jools182
    Free Member

I’m 39 now and dreading the next big birthday. As I didn’t get anything memorable for any other landmark birthdays I’ve decided to take things into my own hands and buy myself something.

If I start saving now I might be able to buy myself a new frame next year, but I want something special

My current thoughts are a Nicolai Helius AM or a Liteville 301

Both could cope in the Alps, have custom colours and 5 year warranties

jools182
    Free Member

vs

any other suggestions?

davidtaylforth
    Free Member

Nicolai looks awesome. If I wanted a full suspension bike and had the money, thats what I’d buy.

jools182
    Free Member

I do like the Nicolai a lot, works out at about €2400 with shock

Liteville comes in at €1960 with shock

Seems capable of all mountain duties too, with 120, 140 or 160mm travel depending on rocker link

Still trying to decide

infidel
    Free Member

I test rode a Nicolai AM 2 weeks ago and ordered one the next day. Loved the way it feels – very inspiring to ride and I love the solid feel it has. Beautiful to look at – industrial and so well put together. The options made my head spin a bit but the mtbr owners forum (clicky) is full of good advice and there are several nic owners who are really knowledgeable on this forum – will dig out a link for you.

edit – here

jools182
    Free Member

thanks infidel

geetee1972
    Free Member

Jools where are you located? Infidel test road my custom large and if you wanted a try you would be more than welcome.

jools182
    Free Member

oooh

I’m in the peaks, New Mills

infidel
    Free Member

see – I told you someone would be along soonish – geetee’s a thoroughly decent chap and know loads about Nics.

geetee1972
    Free Member

Excellent I’m coming up on the weekend of the 23rd, riding on the Saturday probably over lady bower way. There is a demo bike down here at may LBS that I could bring up if you like (i know the guys at the uk distributor so shouldn’t be a problem to arrange). 18bikes are your local retailer for nicolai as well.

geetee1972
    Free Member

Infidel want to join?

mildred

I was in the same situation this time last year.

I’ve had numerous Orange & Nicolai, & struggled to decide between the 2 (helius am & 5 am),and plumped for a 5 – within 1 week I regretted it!

Doing a bit of soul searching, I realised that I wanted the Nic’ but bought with my brain not my heart. I wanted something that I loved to look at, caress, be proud of, & felt unique, & what I got was an updated & sanitised version of what i’ve already had. I’ve now sold that, bought a Nic’ (cc not am by way of a nod towards using my brain not heart), & then bought a 2nd hand FR to satisfy my ‘big bike’ need/want.

In short, buy the Nicolai – they are very special, and you rarely see another out on the trails. They ride as good as anything else, but have a certain ‘something’, which makes it feel oh so special compared to the rest.

infidel
    Free Member

would love to but exam looms first week of Oct so will have to pass.

jools182
    Free Member

sounds good geetee

anto164
    Free Member

Something like this?

It’ll go up and down alpine passes all day. Just don’t try to find out how much they are, you could buy a 2nd hand 2009 focus ST3 for the same price as one of these new

GW
    Free Member

I quite liked those litevilles ’til I realised the shock link doubles as a bollock guillotine 😮

steve_b77
    Free Member

18 bike has a demo AC on their shelves, kinda handy for the Peaks 😉

I too would go for the Nicolai, not that I’m at all biased or anything (on my 2nd Helius CC) and it’s simply great at everything

neninja
    Free Member

I treated myself to a Helius CC last Autumn (it just happened to coincide with my 40th B’day).

I think myself lucky to be riding it every time I go out on it. They are a bit special.

I’ve still not seen another Nicolai on the trails I’ve ridden.

honourablegeorge

I didn’t know I was entitled to a new bike for my 40th. This is fantastic news. I shall inform the wife immediately.

hamishthecat
    Free Member

I’m aiming for a Liteville for my 50th 😀

_tom_
    Free Member

Out of the two, the nicolai looks way better. This is purely a looks thing, I have no idea how either of them ride. Looks a bit slacker as well so probably better for the alps trips you speak of?

hambl90
    Free Member

Nicolai looks nice , what about a blur ltc , think I would get one If I won the lotto 🙂

jools182
    Free Member

santa cruz would be too run of the mill 😉

Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)

The topic ‘What bike for my next (big) birthday?’ is closed to new replies.