Viewing 24 posts - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)
  • what hardtail for circa £600 – 6ft 4" back to cycling rider, keen to get air
  • slimjim78
    Free Member

I’m trying to help a colleague get back into cycling after a long absence but am coming up short on recommendations for the style of bike he’s looking for.

In the past he’s been into extreme sports and was a handy skater for a few years so is no stranger to big drops and air time – he’s out of touch with modern bikes and geometry though so only has a few magazine reviews to go by.
    I’m trying to pry him away from £500 Halfords deals with lower specs, and he’s starting to look at some nice 2nd hand bikes, but all are more XC oriented with longer stems etc, he doesn’t have the experience to spot the difference betweeen set-ups yet.
    I’m thinking that with the fact he’s keen to take on drops and tabletops etc, that a more hardcore set-up would be up his street.

He’s a tall lad at 6ft 4″ so due to his height he really needs a 21″+ frame, which kind of rules out things like 2nd hand 456’s, BFe’s etc – or does it?
    Also, a lighter build (carbon?) would be preferred.

He’s also keen to try out 650b as he’s concerned about the chuckability of a 29er, although he hasnt ruled out 26″.

Can you guys help recommend some larger sized 650b or 26″ bargains that really should be put on the list.
    £500-£600 is around the target point. Maybe £700 if something extra nice came up.

Much obliged.

warns74
    Free Member

Latest MBR has a big test of hardtails in different price categories so could be a good way of looking at what he could get new plus those which are more expensive but might be available cheaper second hand or in sales. You could also focus on which makes/models are available in XL?

If he’s worried about aesthetics then (IMO) XL frames and 26″ wheels don’t look good together! An XL 29er looks like a Medium 26er!

[EDIT] Id be very surprised if you could get anything carbon for that money except for a second hand frame only, and carbon hardtails tend to be be more XC focused.

slimjim78
    Free Member

Yes, im not sure carbon is a realistic option for a hardcore hardtail. Other than 456evo, which is 26″

Anyone able to suggest 650b steel or alu options?

Stevet1
    Free Member

Realistically what will he be using it for most of the time? If its just a play bike then he might get away with an 18/19″ frame with a long top tube, if its for proper riding then he is going to need a 20″ frame which come up for sale less often second hand.

lunge

I have an XL Orange P7, the steel one with 26″ wheels, that I am debating selling. 140mm Fox Vanilla forks, short stem, 720mm bars, XT kit.

If that appeals then I can get some pics to you/him tonight.

slimjim78
    Free Member

I was about to suggest looking at the Orange line-up. By all means, feel free to post pics or send me some details.

fr0sty125
    Free Member

Saracen Mantra Pro comes in 21 inch if you are looking for modern fun geo these are fantastic you get on one and you think this just feels soo right.

http://www.saracen.co.uk/bikes/trail/mantra-pro

slimjim78
    Free Member

Good shout.
    Call me a snob but i’m not keen on the Suntour forks (despite having never ridden one). Are they actually any good?
    I’d much rather see a budget RockShox on an entry level bike.

fr0sty125
    Free Member

In my opinion those Suntours will be as good as Rockshox XC TK stuff, Rockshox Recon or Sektor RL with MOCO is much better than those though.

slimjim78
    Free Member

Yes, i’m hoping to line him up with a Recon or Sektor as a minimum. Or perhaps one of those X-Fusion jobbies?

funkrodent

I know you’ve already discounted Halfords, but the Voodoo Bizango has to be worth a look. It’s got (admittedly Suntour, but they review well) airsprung forks with 15mm qr, better spec than the Saracen (a few bits of Deore popping up incl the peerless (for the price) Deore brakes) and is a blast to ride. On the wheelsize question as someone who is 6’4″ myself I concur with warns74 above, wheelsize should relate directly to frame sixe. 26″ wheels on an XL frame is as ridiculous as 29″ on an XS frame. And not just for aesthetic purposes, on an XL with 26″ wheels the rider sits perched way above the wheels with a correspondingly high centre of gravity, much prefer bigger wheels and being big myself they have the same relative amount of chuckability that 26″ wheels would for someone riding a medium frame.

Anyway, I’ve had a go on one and its ace. If I had £600 and needed another bike (which I don’t according to the missus, more’s the pity) then I’d buy one without hesitation. Don’t just take my word for it though, couple of threads on here extolling the virtues:

http://singletrackworld.com/forum/topic/voodoo-bizangowould-you-recommend

http://singletrackworld.com/forum/topic/voodoo-bizangoanyone-ridden-one

EDIT –

slimjim78 – Member
    Yes, i’m hoping to line him up with a Recon or Sektor as a minimum. Or perhaps one of those X-Fusion jobbies?

I’ve got Sektor on my FS and I wouldn’t say they are any better (or worse) than the Suntour (albeit I only tried the Suntour briefly and I can’t say re long term reliability). Probably safe to say that they’re all much of a muchness. I wouldn’t touch cheap RC32 forks (and anything coil sprung) with a bargepole though (particularly being big and heavy). Had some on a hire bike at Glentress a while back and they were awful

br
    Free Member

I’m trying to pry him away from £500 Halfords deals with lower specs,

As a rider of 6’4″ it’ll be hard to find an XL, so I wouldn’t discount buying new – also look at LBS’s, as they’ll also be able to get XL’s in.

GHill

He’s a tall lad at 6ft 4″ so due to his height he really needs a 21″+ frame, which kind of rules out things like 2nd hand 456’s, BFe’s etc – or does it?

I’m the same height and used to ride a L BFe. I now have a Solaris instead. The sizing means it won’t be a comfy all day bike, but then a BFe doesn’t fit that bill anyway.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

http://www.charliethebikemonger.com/surly-2014-instigator-20-complete-26-fat-x28ishx29-bike-4158-p.asp

Over budget by £550, but available in XL (and it really does look to be XL and not just a long seatube, it’s a 25.5″ effective top tube!).

As a rider of 6’4″ it’ll be hard to find an XL, so I wouldn’t discount buying new – also look at LBS’s, as they’ll also be able to get XL’s in.

On the other hand, they’re dirt cheap on ebay. A friend used to buy top of the raneg XL and XS sized bikes off ebay for peanuts and sell the parts.

chrishc777
    Free Member

6’2″ here with very long (36″) inside leg and my 20″ steel 456 fitted fine with plenty of post left in the frame, dirt cheap, good fun and very strongly built. My 20″ carbon 456 is even better though, more fun, almost as cheap and set up quite hardcore at only 26lbs. Wouldn’t like to be starting out on one though, not sure it’d take the abuse and crashes the steel one took!

slimjim78
    Free Member

thanks guys, and keep ’em coming.

i’ve forwarded links to the Mantra and Bizango. Both look great, Mantra really looks good angle wise.

Chris – my first port of call a few weeks ago was the On-One line-up (being a 45650b owner myself), but they didn’t seem to float his boat. Expecially as the budget would need stretching. Plus the max size of 20″ may be just a smidge short for him (I run a 20″ at 6ft 1″).
    I’m a steel nut but he seems to like the Alu frames better for aesthetics.

warns74
    Free Member

Chris – my first port of call a few weeks ago was the On-One line-up (being a 45650b owner myself), but they didn’t seem to float his boat. Expecially as the budget would need stretching. Plus the max size of 20″ may be just a smidge short for him (I run a 20″ at 6ft 1″).

I could be wrong but isnt the Voodoo max of 20″ as well and recommended up to 6’1″ ish?

AlexSimon

Bird do their Zero in an XL size and it’s an aluminium hardcore hardtail as required.
    But, even though it’s great value, it’s also overbudget at £995
    http://shop.birdmtb.com/zero/zero-7.html

Looking at some of the others mentioned though, I’d still consider it.

Dickyboy

I wouldn’t get too hung up on frame size having be minimum 21″ especially for the sort of riding you describe, my boys are all c 6ft 3″ & ride smaller frames than that

tall_martin

I’ve a Cove stiffee from 2001 in xl. They come up for that money occasionally. It’s a bit xc by today’s geometry but I’ve been down the fort William downhill course on it, and it was fine if slow. It’s a great all day bike , just drop the seat post for the decent and away you go. THey were wwarrantied for dual crown forks but I found around 130mm best. The second version were slacker and ready for bigger forks. 🙂

slimjim78
    Free Member

That Bird looks the nuts

qwerty
    Free Member

2nd hand: Cove Stiffee, Orange Crush.

chakaping
    Free Member

Loved my old Saracen Zen hardtail, but I had to go up a size ‘cos it was very short in the TT. Just thought I’d mention in case they haven’t lengthened the newer models.

Orange Crush comes in XL and they have been making bikes long for a while now, so a secondhand one might be a winner.

Unless you get lucky or wait for the sales, I think you’ll probably have to choose between used 26″ with nice spec and a more basic new 650b.

thegiantbiker
    Free Member

I’m 6’3″ on a Large Dartmoor (19″), so I wouldn’t say it needs to be a massive frame as long as it’s long enough and you’ve got a big seatpost.

Viewing 24 posts - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)

The topic ‘what hardtail for circa £600 – 6ft 4" back to cycling rider, keen to get air’ is closed to new replies.