Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)
  • what bike for … Braemar-Aviemore loop
  • MadBillMcMad

We are doing the braemar/Aviemore loop in May.

We are B&Bing in Aviemore over night & so travelling light.

Is it an :
    – Orange 5 ride (to add a bit of yeeHaa to the downs, & soften the rear end)
    – or a Ragley Ti hardtail ride (to reduce the Kgs)

The route we are doing is this

chriswilk
    Free Member

Sanny
    Free Member

That’s one I plan to get round to this year.

Drj0n did a good posting about it on his blog a while back. It’s doable as a day ride. Having ridden most of the route before, I reckon I’d go for the full susser if only for all day comfort. The hard tail will be fine but you will be able to ride most of it since they have improved / royally buggered the route up from Ryvoan Bothy.

Hope this helps?

Sanny

bullroar
    Free Member

I did that as a day ride last July, really good. Not sure it is a clear cut decision on the tool for the job. I did it on my P7 which was fine. A full bouncer might add some comfort and be preferable for some sections.

Also worth keeping an eye on this:

http://www.wheresthewater.com/?q=river-levels/scotland

For the likely river level on the Feshie.

kcr
    Free Member

You’ll be fine on any bike, if it’s the big Cairngorm circuit you are talking about.
    There is nothing very technical on the route, so go with the bike you are most comfortable riding for long distances.

bullroar
    Free Member

There is a good photo account here:

http://singletrackworld.com/forum/topic/a-cairngorm-loop

MadBillMcMad

cheers guys.

the 5 is my preference too for comfort if no other reason.

bajsyckel

What kcr said – especially if you’re doing it over 2 days and stopping in a B&B then just go with what you enjoy riding more. If I had your choice I’d do it on the HT.

messiah
    Free Member

Fording the Avon a few years ago… nae dabs 😀

5 would be my choice… and I would be taking a different higher route back 😉

Clobber
    Free Member

HT all the way, don’t drag that heavy 5 all the way around that lovely loop, it’s definitely cross country and not technical, my friend broke his genius on day 1 and hired a HT and was happier on that..

MadBillMcMad

messiah,

do you have a GPX for a ‘higher’ route back ?

backcountrybiking
    Free Member

HT in my opinion, but it’s up to, enjoy it it’s a corker.

messiah
    Free Member

I don’t do GPX etc… I’m old skool 8)

Route I have used is over Macdui; more carrying but more fun than Feshie (IMHE etc).

MadBillMcMad

we did Macdui as a walk on a mates stag w/e & I looked down on Lairig Ghru thinking that looked like a lovely rideable pass. Riding down Macdui would certainly be fun.

back to mu OP, think that would swing it to the 5.
    I will discuss with the other guys & see what they think.

boxelder

Clockwise or anti?

MadBillMcMad

was planning on clockwise

chickenman

If you’re doing the shorter loop (Lairig an Loaigh) then it’s much more ridable clockwise; especially as the descent from Bynack Shoulder is now fairly horrible (highlight of the anticlockwise loop).
    I did it anticlockwise as a daytrip last year and there was way too much pushing that way. Only just made it across the Fords of A’an with the meltwater coming off the plateau!

doh
    Free Member

done it on a blur xc and a rigid 29er, more fun and felt faster on the rigid.
    might try the fatty this year 🙂

MadBillMcMad

to resurrect an old thread…

so I went for the ragley over the Orange 5
    The right choice I think. The only time I really wished I had the Orange was on the way down from the Ford of A’an.

But what a great ride & such perfect weather & conditions. We were to do it 2 months ago but postponed because of the snow – Big girls I know.

Also managed a couple of great swims in Loch A’an (skinny!) & Loch an Eilein. Very refreshing but well needed in that heat.

Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)

The topic ‘what bike for … Braemar-Aviemore loop’ is closed to new replies.