• This topic has 14 replies, 14 voices, and was last updated 7 years ago by Daffy.
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • What bike for a 5 year old?
  • r8jimbob88
    Free Member

My niece has a £50 bike, it’s awful. Almost weighs more than my bike and even I don’t have the strength to pull the brake levers…

So can anyone recommended a proper bike for a 5 year old? What’s out there?

TheDoctor
    Free Member

Look at decathlon, their child bikes are pretty good!

cloudnine
    Free Member

Frog bike, Islabike Cnoc, Early rider..

Depends on how deep your pockets are..

paulosoxo
    Free Member

both mine had £70 Halfords singlespeed, V brake specials. The eldest (10) has only just got his first ‘proper’ bike

markshires
    Free Member

I’ve been looking into this for Xmas for my lad too, he’s currently been riding an Islabike 14 or 16, but he’s too big for it now, its been great though. He says he now wants a bike with some ‘ears’ like mine. So I’ve been looking at the 20″ bikes, the only one he’s been able to sit on was a Wiggins one in Halfords that seems pretty good, also got my eye on the frog 52, and our lbs also threw a trek something or other into the mix but it wasn’t out at the time. Priceline there all the same, but I Halfords have the discounts that run fairly regular!

i_like_food

It’s a boring stock answer but a secondhand islabike will hold its value if you helitape it and look after it. I’ve never lost more than 10% on the ones I’ve bought for my son (bought secondhand, sold 12-18 months later).

Wally

2nd Decathlon. Perfect for trying out various sizes.

Skankin_giant
    Free Member

My boy who is 5 has a Carrera Cosmos from Halfrauds…. but it’s a great wee bike, he jumped straight on it and was peddling off within seconds. I just wish my daughter was as keen!
    It was a bit dear for a bike that will only last him a few years but how well he’s done and how much he enjoys it has been worth it.

Carrera Cosmos

[url=https://flic.kr/p/MM3U4A]14258317_10153907508743225_3432521764798993613_o[/url] by Stephen Williams, on Flickr

Cheers, Steve

weeksy

Ridgeback mx16

Not as light as Isla, but a decent compromise

Dibbs
    Free Member

My grandson is 5 at xmas, he’s had a Ridgeback MX14 for quite a while and watching him today it’s already too small for him. We haven’t really got good value out of it, mostly due to the fact he preferred his Scoot balance bike for such a long time.

blakec
    Free Member

At that age priorities the weight go for the lightest you can afford. Frog Isla and early rider all being class leaders. All with good resell value once your done.

Also depends on what you plan on doing with them my 5 year old has a hand me down frog 52. Comfortable did 9 miles on the South Downs today with a mix of single track and bridelway. But equally happy doing 30 miles on it across Denmark in a day during the holidays. Thought it’s not so good on the bmx track.

MoreCashThanDash

We picked up a second hand Ridgeback MX16 for my lad at that age for £85 in great condition.

Sold it about 5 years and his little sister later for £65.

I know Frog, Isla etc are lighter and lovely bikes, but if you just want something that isn’t supermarket bike heavy and better for little kids to ride on, then second hand Ridgebacks, Carreras, Treks, and Spesh have all been great for my two, loads on ebay to choose from, and easy to shift on with little depreciation.

The other problems with spoiling them with lovely light bikes from an early age is that they – or your wallet – are going to be in for a big shock when they grow into “proper” 26″ wheeled bikes.

ade9933
    Free Member

Frog bike, Islabike Cnoc, Early rider..

^^ these and Hoy from Evans.

Lightweight.
    1*
    No suspension

At 5 possibly singlespeed – depending on how big they are. Will be ready for 20″ wheels and gears soon.

Captain-Pugwash
    Free Member

Local dealer has had some of these in stock

http://www.saracen.co.uk/bikes/kids/junior

Daffy

If I had the money, and assuming your 5 year old is as tall as mine – this:

But he’s currently on a Beinn 20 Small. I’d skip the Cnoc.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

The topic ‘What bike for a 5 year old?’ is closed to new replies.