Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • What bike for a 4and a half year old 110cm tall ?
  • Supertackysteve
    Free Member

Hi just wondering if anyone has any good suggestions for a bike? It's for my lad who is 4.5 yrs old.

Ideally one that will grow with him for a couple of years, is fairly light as some seem to weigh more than my P7!!

I have been looking at 16" wheel and know of the specialized hot rock and islabikes Cnoc – any others or how are these two???

He can already ride without the need for stabilisers too.

Oh and thanks 🙂

luke
    Free Member

My lad is on a 16" Giant but if I was buying again it would be the Islabike, but my lads older than yours but the same height.

Supertackysteve
    Free Member

Thanks Like – anyone else fancy shoving their opinion my way ?

higgo
    Free Member

I'm two years on from you.

I've just bought my 6.5y old son a bike that was the heaviest in the shop. It's over 30lb, it's got gears that he can't quite work out and 'power forks' (his words not mine) that I can barely compress.

I tried to steer him to the light, single speed one with better hubs and brakes but this one has flames on the frame and the rims and he absolutely loves it.

valleydaddy
    Free Member

My 5 year old who is tall to be fair to her, can handle a Spesh 20" hotrock no problem.

so size him up an don't go on this one fits a 4 year oldand this one fits a 6 year old crap.

same as kids clothes sizing is all over the place

joolsburger
    Free Member

ridgeback mx 16 my 5year old loves his and it a great light little bike really cool paintjob too.

edited his is a 16 not a 20

Supertackysteve
    Free Member

thanks all, will look at the ridgeback and spec 20, just been on isla web page and they have good detailed sizing for their bikes. Any more ??

Supertackysteve
    Free Member

thanks jools for the link – jolly decent of you 🙂

Supertackysteve
    Free Member

Any daytime users of the forum got any suggestions (polite ones that is !)

the-muffin-man

Any daytime users of the forum got any suggestions (polite ones that is !)

Yep – don't spend a shedload on a kids bike! We've bought all our daughters bikes from Decathlon and they've be superb – and they're not heavy lumps of rubbish. She currently rides one of these…

http://www.decathlon.co.uk/EN/16-quot-super-t-34964363/

Filthy
    Free Member

Or you could buy this…

Started out as a Ridgeback MX16, but my lad started closed circuit racing so I built a set of brompton rims on to some odyssey BMX hubs, changed the brakes to shimano roadys and put some flat bars on it. The headset has been converted to run standard 1 1/8th stems. Rear hub takes a standard cassette sprocket so you can play with ratios to find one he likes. Tyres are Schwalbe marathon 16×1 1/8th.

Comes with spare tube's and a couple of sprockets.

Looking for £150 posted on account of the price of the wheels but open to sensible offers. Emails in profile if your interested.

dazh

My 5 year old girl has an Islabikes beinn 20. It was a bit big for her at first but she's growing into it nicely now, although she's not as confident as she was on the smaller bike but I think that's more to do with the weight of it rather than the size.

joolsburger
    Free Member

Those MX16s are really good. The lad had a Cnoc before that and Isla bikes are great no doubt. However the rideback was 120 quid and you can adjust the brakes for little hands, the bar and grips are thin and the gear ratio seems spot on for a littlun. I really like the paint it's almost like anodising if I could get it for my bike I would!!

It's a fine little bike – Highly recommended.

beargotsoul

My lad started on a Ridgeback MX14 then a MX16 when he was 4, can highly recommend them, now riding a Kona Shred 20.

StirlingCrispin

Thump is 4 and a bit – just over 1m tall.

He has a Islabike Cnoc 14 – the most beautiful bike you'll ever see with cartridge bearings and brake levers specially adapted for little hands. Everyone who's seen it has gone and bought one for their kids (or tried to talk their wife into starting a family). You'll probably find a 16" will fit nicely – keep if for a couple of years and then sell it for almost what you paid for it.

paulfulford
    Free Member

I'd give another vote for one of the Islabikes, lightweight with good quality components the right size for small hands

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)

The topic ‘What bike for a 4and a half year old 110cm tall ?’ is closed to new replies.