Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • What bike for £500 with 26″ wheels, v-brakes, rack mounts?
  • UpQuickDownSlow

I thought this would be easy. Friend wants a bike for commuting plus some bridleway / rough stuff. She is 5’4″ tall.

So I’m thinking:

26″ wheels with room for some fat-ish tyres.

V-brakes for simplicity and rack mount compatibility.

Rigid fork. Doesn’t want suspension, would prefer to save weight and use budget on better gears.

But I’m struggling to find anything to fit this spec. Seems that hybrids have 700c wheels, and mountain bikes have disc brakes.

UpQuickDownSlow

So it seems to me that what I’m describing is an old-skool mountain bike. There are a few “urban MTBs” which are similar. There is the Revolution Courier Womens – which is £200 below budget. There is the Canondale Bad Boy – but it doesn’t have rack mounts and probably doesn’t come small enough. Marin Muirwoods looks good, but I don’t know if the 17″ frame will be small enough.

Maybe I should find a second hand MTB frame and build it up? But might be tricky to find in the right size.

UpQuickDownSlow

Thanks, I had checked the Decathlon range, but they all have cheap + heavy suspension forks.

uplink
    Free Member

Have a look at the Carrera Subway in Halfords

druidh
    Free Member

Why the fascination with 26″ wheels? You can get some very nice 700C tyres. Ever seen a Cyclo Cross bike going over some rough stuff?

Marin Corte Madera perhaps?

UpQuickDownSlow

Carrera Subway a bit heavy and pedestrian, I think.

Marin Corte Madera might be an option. Was thinking of 26″ wheels because clearance for fat tyres is more likely to be possible, and they are a bit stronger than 700c.

Yes, cyclo-cross bike an option, but I’m not aware of any flat barred ones in the price bracket.

steelfan
    Free Member

How about a Kona Smoke with a few upgrades to bring it to the £500 mark.
    I think the latest one is 700c but Im sure you can still get the 26inch version.
    Kona Smoke

dickel
    Free Member

I have just boughta Cannondale Badboy.Its 15 inch so pretty small suits me at 5'7 with seat up high. It has 26 inch fat wheels, does have rack mounts and is incredibly light and goes like a rocket. My wife was told me to go buy another one for her. There are still some at Evans small size only reduced to about £480.

rolfharris
    Free Member

This would suit-

http://www.ashcycles.com/power/index.php?main_page=product_info&products_id=521&currency=BP

Discs, but still very light. Don't think you'll find anything to your spec otherwise, something has to go- 26" wheels or v-brakes.

My GF is 5'4" and rides a small giant. Weight is just under 25lbs.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

The topic ‘What bike for £500 with 26″ wheels, v-brakes, rack mounts?’ is closed to new replies.