Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • What bike for… (not #enduro content)
  • everyone
    Free Member

XC racing?

I’ve been trying since October to get a test on an Orbea Oiz but they seem to be rarer than rocking horse muck at the minute.

I’m after a 29er full suss, suitable for a short bloke (5’7″) so a reasonably short stack height is pretty much needed. I’d greatly prefer shimano 11s stuff rather than SRAM but I don’t think I’d explode if there was no option to swap!

As it’s STW, big brand things like Giant or Trek bore the nuts off me so if you could suggest interesting alternatives that would be great, yea? (Although saying that, I’m a bit taken with the spesh epic…)

Budget is ~£4k although that is dependant on the finance deals offered.
    What other bikes would The Oracle STW suggest?

SirHC
    mbqwerty
    Free Member

Why not just get a test ride on the Orbea if that’s the one you really want? If you’re struggling…. just try harder? Or buy a giant…

everyone
    Free Member

If you want to find me somewhere that has them in stock for demo!

I know I said I didn’t like treks but that top fuel looks almost right (doesn’t hurt that the stack height is loooooow)

mbqwerty
    Free Member

If you want to find me somewhere that has them in stock for demo

Have you tried Sherwood Pines?

everyone
    Free Member

Have you tried Sherwood Pines?

Yea tried them a few times…

chakaping
    Free Member
    ferrals
    Free Member

Got any bits lying about you can use? Niner frameset £3K, £450 complete xt groupset incl brakes on crc, find some discounted SIDs for £400 ish blow your budget on wheels etc

Or Pivot Mach 429 (SL) frameset is cheaper (£1.5 – 2K says google)

You doing the nationals this year?

If going boring mainstream, I am a Scott fan but would really strugle to look past one of the 2017 scott sparks

edit: Cannodale Scalpel-Si Carbon 3

everyone
    Free Member

Yea planning on doing as many nationals as I can again. That’s half the reason I want a full suss!

Can’t really afford to go for a frame and self build option (not if I want the bike sooner rather than later), I was planning on putting down a healthy deposit and paying off the rest with finance.

I wouldn’t mind a spark but 2 of my friends already have a spark so I can’t be seen to follow the crowd! (Not that theirs is the 2017 model but even so…)

Something with the option of possibly running a dropper would be nice as well.

ferrals
    Free Member

Lots of xc bikes from the last couple of years seem to have stealth routing.

Not really fs but what about a pro-caliber? That’s my current dream bike

fifeandy
    Free Member

For me it’d have to be the 2017 spark for a FS.

@ferrals, i’d rather have the BMC Teamelite for softtail duty than the procaliber as it should provide better traction as well as fatigue relief.

smogmonster

I know you said not Trek…..so how about a Trek? I have the latest Fuel Ex 9.8, it weighs about 26lbs, its very versatile, and can be run as either 29er or 27.5+ – I run both depending on what sort of riding im doing, 27.5+ for steep techy bashing over stuff, and 29er for long xc type rides (or when mud tyres are needed such as at present). It maybe a little too much travel for you, but I reckon 130mm suits a lot of different pigeonholes.

everyone
    Free Member

I think the fuel ex would be far too much bike, I am liking the look of the top fuel 9.8 though.

Think I’m going to ring around and see if there’s any top fuels, epics or sparks about.

I’m loathe to just go out and buy a bike since it’s so different from what I’m used to riding.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

The topic ‘What bike for… (not #enduro content)’ is closed to new replies.