Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • What bike do you use for towing a kiddie trailer / child seat
  • fettling
    Free Member

We have a baby due next month and some friends have loaned us a kiddie trailer, only poblem is the current bike selection in the garage leaves very few options.

Mountain bike is carbon, so not sure it will handle a trailer clamped to the rear chainstay. same problem with the road bike…
    I have a fixie/singlespeed that I use to get to work that may do the job, just not sure my knees will hack it.

Could I fit a shimano nexus hub at the back of the fixie? Ditch the fixie and buy a cross bike.

Interested to hear what other people use?

transapp
    Free Member

From aged 1, a wee ride kangaroo on a giant anthem. Not tried a trailer as I don’t have the storage for it.

Stoner
    Free Member

I use pretty much all my bikes for towing jr, depending on how Im feeling.

SS Ti MTB, SS Pompino, geared CX or MTB. geared luggage bike.

As long as the outside face of the drop out is sound – i.e. a metal insert in the carbon frame, then I dont see any problems fitting the towing peg. Id probably draw the line at Mrs S’s Planet X SL Carbon though.

Cowled drop outs are a git though.

For roads, MTB SS is a doable gear as long as youre really not planning any big hills. If I am, then I have a winching gear on the luggage bike for that.

scaled
    Free Member

Surely this is the perfect case for a new alu/steel hard tail?!

Scamper
    Free Member

My Cotic Soul. Had to attach the trailer through use of an over sized QR which came with the trailer as the rear brake disc got in the way of the normal attachment onto the chain stay.

fettling
    Free Member

scaled, couldn’t agree more. Unfortunately lack of space will require the disposal of another bike to make room. The fixie is looking like it may get the chop 🙁
    Shame as I love that bike… The replacement needs to be good for commuting and sunday club rides, hence the CX possibility.

Garry_Lager

I use a tricross for the trailer – mine uses a fitting that goes through the QR though so it would work OK on any bike I’d think.
    I use the pompino (SS, not fixed) for the childseat atm when I don’t take the trailer.

Personally I wouldn’t fancy a fixie with a trailer and defo not a child seat – but that’s just because I don’t ride fixed much. If you’re a fixie veteran than maybe it’s ok.

You do tend to bimble along with kids on the bike so no worries with a ss.

fettling
    Free Member

I will have to inspect the trailer more closely, I think it has a dirty great clamp to go on the chainstay. Can’t see the ‘dale flash liking that.
    Perhaps I can modify it to a QR fit.

aracer
    Free Member

Like Stoner, I’ve pulled a trailer behind all my bikes – though I’ve got a slightly wider selection than him, and have actually pulled it behind not only my lightweight carbon road bike, but also my carbon Hotta time trial bike (not sure why you think there might be an issue – a trailer doesn’t really put any load through the frame if it’s a dropout mount). Have also towed using my carbon full-sus, which does have cowled dropouts – had to file the mount down a bit to fit.

However the OP is talking about a chainstay mount, which personally I wouldn’t use on a carbon bike – anything metal should be fine though, or get a dropout hitch to upgrade the trailer. Depends on your hills obviously, but I have/do also use a fixie to pull the trailer – got a bigger rear cog for it to drop the gearing a bit.

Similarly for a kiddie seat – I have a Hamax one which clamps to the seat-tube, and I wouldn’t use that one on of my carbon bikes. I actually resurrected my old hardtail so I could use it off-road due to my main MTB being carbon.

klumpy
    Free Member

A motor-bike, of course.

MarkyG82

sturmey make a 2 speed kick back hub that I may be getting later in the year. Looks great for a hilly version of a SS and towing. It’ll be going on a Kaffenback.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

The topic ‘What bike do you use for towing a kiddie trailer / child seat’ is closed to new replies.