Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)
  • What bike around £1300 for trail riding?
  • chrish90
    Free Member

Hi,

I’m looking to spend around £1300 on a new bike for trail/greenlane/plantation rides (not really going to get into xc racing – more longer social rides etc.).

The bikes I’ve been looking at so far are the Bird Zero, Canyon Nerve Al 6.0, Grand Canon Al SLX 29 or the Scott Spark 760.

Does anyone have any experience of these bikes and which is best for my needs – as you can tell I’m still a bit undecided on full-sus or hardtail!

Thanks in advance for any help.

jekkyl

soul 650 full build.

grobin13
    Free Member

IMO you are best going hard tail for what you have described and you will get a far better spec HT than FS for £1300. The Bird zero is a great option. They are offering 10% discount until 1st Jan aswell. I have just ordered a zero 1 with fork upgrade for a snip over 1400. You could get the zero 2 and a reverb dropper for your budget.

Gary_M
    Free Member

I got a Bird Zero.3 a few weeks ago and absolutely love it. Looks heavy but is pretty light. Everything about it feels just right.

You’ll be hard pressed to beat the spec for the money and you’ll get the zero.1 for £1300.

here’s mine

chrish90
    Free Member

Thanks, I was a bit worried that the Bird Zero is more for AM/Enduro riding rather than a day out on the bikes – are they comfortable enough for a full day out and handle the climbs etc. well?

thegreatape
    Free Member

Yes

grobin13
    Free Member

Out of interest what height and what size did you get Gary. I am a smudge over 6ft and have ordered large – being built today.

Gary_M
    Free Member

I’ve not done a long ride on it yet but didn’t notice any comfort issues.

Boughtt a medium and I’m 5′ 8″

ampthill

At that price the worlds your oyster

I’d look at The Evans Pinnacles and On One

Oh and genesis they do a steel hardtail for £1200

Don’t just look at groupsets. I have a preference for good wheels but old fashioned builds for easy fixing

chestrockwell

Have a look at the On-One Parkwood. Great spec for the money including a Reverb and the latest Rockshox Revelations. Even better, you’ll have £300 spare!

Mate of mine has one and thinks it’s great. With the great spec you get he’s planning on upgrading the frame in a few years but keeping the kit.

Bucko

Whyte 901?

I have absolutely no idea what bike I would end up with if I had £1.3k saved up. But it would be a hardtail.

Gary_M
    Free Member

With the great spec you get he’s planning on upgrading the frame in a few years but keeping the kit.

Is the usual practice not to buy the best frame you can get for x amount then upgrade the bits as they wear out, not the other way round! Components wear out a lot quicker than frames.

chrish90
    Free Member

Thanks all, I’m in a bit of a dilemma over what to buy as there’s so much choice and decent bikes around this price! I looked at the on-one Parkwood but keep going back to the Bird as the spec. is so good.

Gary_M
    Free Member

You won’t regret going for the Bird, it really is a great bike and great service.

Although I’m sure the others are too.

thegreatape
    Free Member

Can you go and try one out?

I’ve only seen one negative review which was on here and, from memory, that person found it ‘nothing special’. Do you know your way around the search function? An advanced search for ‘bird zero’ over six months or so should find the threads.

Any other feedback I’ve seen has been very positive.

euans2
    Free Member

You cant really go wrong with the Canyon Nerve AL6, Canyon make very good frames and for that sort of money, the spec is fantastic!

chrish90
    Free Member

Think the Bird is the final winner, great spec and just called the guys to discuss options and very good customer service!

Gary_M
    Free Member

Good choice, what colour are you going for?

chrish90
    Free Member

Probably going for a blue one. Out of interest, how do you find it on long climbs?

Gary_M
    Free Member

I’ve only ridden it a couple of times and only ridden local where all climbs are short, sharp and rooty and its been really good. Can’t see there being any issues on long climbs.

It does look very ‘all mountain’ but feels a lot more xc than it looks, until you point it down some steep rooty trails and it flies.

Bucko

I now want a Bird Aeris after looking at their site. Thanks!

chestrockwell

Is the usual practice not to buy the best frame you can get for x amount then upgrade the bits as they wear out, not the other way round! Components wear out a lot quicker than frames.

He got it through b2w so cost less then £800. His next bike/frame will probably be a light weight 29″ FS so not in the same league price wise. He looks after his kit and we don’t get out much so most of it should last for a few years at which point he’ll be hitting 40 and able to justify a swanky new frame. 😉

In the meantime he gets to turn his old bike back to SS and gets a decent new bike to arse about on. Win.

Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)

The topic ‘What bike around £1300 for trail riding?’ is closed to new replies.