Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 41 total)
  • What big hill in t'Lakes?
  • flyingmonkeycorps

We’re staying at Grizedale this weekend, planning on getting a ride in there on the Saturday. We were going to do another loop on Sunday but the weather looks too good to spend pottering round a forest for two days, so we’re thinking about doing something bigger.

So, what hill? Mixed group, we’re all ok on bikes (regular Peak / Lakes / Snowdonia riders) and bikes will range from a battered Inbred to a fancy carbon Whyte G150 enduromonster.

On the way back south from Grizedale would be a bonus but not essential.

Ta!

chakaping
    Free Member

Garburn, Nan Bield etc from Staveley?

flyingmonkeycorps

I was looking at Nan Bield actually. I will have a look at some routes.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    Junkyard
    Free Member

THAT but do Nan bield first – warning its a hike a bike though if you cut across [FP}Harter fell its all pushable rather than having to actually carry

Down to the ressie involves a demaning hike a bike climb

Ecky-Thump
    Free Member

yep, if you do a Nan Bield route then…
    either go off-piste from the top of Gatescarth over Harter Fell and drop into Nan Bield from there, or do a clockwise route from top of Dubbs over Buck Crag, Yoke, Ill Bell, Mardale Ill Bell and drop into Nan Bield from the opposite way.

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

a clockwise route from top of Dubbs over Buck Crag, Yoke, Ill Bell, Mardale Ill Bell and drop into Nan Bield from the opposite way.

This.

Stevet1
    Free Member

We’re staying at Grizedale this weekend, planning on getting a ride in there on the Saturday.

I’d advise finding something else to do on the Saturday as well, the Grizedale loop is pretty disappointing considering the location. I’d recommend this route near Grizedale, its ace.

http://www.pedalnorth.com/content/tour-de-coniston

flyingmonkeycorps

I should add we’re not doing the trail centre at Grizedale, we know the bridleways in there pretty well do will be doing a selection of those.

whitestone
    Free Member

+1 for the Tour de Coniston. It’s a really varied ride with great views, well assuming the clag isn’t down 🙄

flyingmonkeycorps

So Ecky-Thump – how about (to keep it briefish) parking in Kentmere, *up* over Yoke – Ill Bell – Mardale Ill Bell to Nan Bield then down Nan Bield back to Kentmere?

Ecky-Thump
    Free Member

yes, but park in Staveley and ride from there… for two reasons.
    1. You won’t find any parking in Kentmere on a weekend
    2. The brewery in Staveley makes good beer.

Climb the Dubbs side via High Borrans, rather than going up Garburn side

Ecky-Thump
    Free Member

oh, and another vote for Tour of Coniston on your other day, rather than the Grisedale loop.

flyingmonkeycorps

Gotcha. What’s the best way from Kentmere back down to Staveley? Do you have a rough idea on timing (so we can double it)?

Junkyard
    Free Member

Road- 15 – 20 mins?
    You can do it offroad [ 45 ish??] in a number of ways [ follow river – technically a FP but basically a road that ends at the factory] or over to the farm and turn left at the first river crossing – nice downhill but my kids ride it so fun bu tnot at all Gnar- but you dont gain much in terms of downhill or routes IMHO

richardkennerley

Park at Staveley and ride up to Kentmere on the road, a quick easy spin to start.

Once you’ve done the Nan Bield loop and arrive back in Kentmere, go down past Kentmere Hall and head up the bridleway there. When that forks after a big(ish) climb and a couple of gates, take the left fork and follow that back to the road which leads to Staveley. The Three Rivers Descent, nice way to finish the ride.

Then go to the brewery for a pint and then go for a curry in Starly’s if it’s open.

flyingmonkeycorps

Awesome. I think we have a plan. I’m guessing it’s more of a decent half day route then an all day epic (I only have online maps to look at at the mo).

jaffejoffer
    Free Member

We’re riding out of staveley on Sunday. I believe the route is up Garburn, along the ridge to high street summit, down nan bield and back to the brewery.

Ecky-Thump
    Free Member

Just looked at my strava from last time I did that loop, in April.

4 hrs moving time but that also includes a loop of Skeggles Water and HP Plantation on the way back from Kentmere.
    Also riding slowly because of using my face as a brake on the bottom section of NB.

Nan Bield

flyingmonkeycorps

Mint, cheers Ecky. Looks pretty much ideal. Slow is our default pace but we should be able to start at a decent time.

chakaping
    Free Member

What’s the best way from Kentmere back down to Staveley?

Either out round Longsleddale and back via HP Plantation, or shorter climb to Whiteside End then take the cracking descent down to Ullthwaite Bridge.

Longsleddale could be boggin’ though.

🙂

flyingmonkeycorps

Whiteside sounds like a do then, would sooner avoid boggery 😉

tomaso
    Free Member

Parking is improved in Kentmere as farmer has field you can park in, but still better to park in Staveley.

flyingmonkeycorps

I’ll see how we’re doing for time / energy on Sunday, if we need a shorter route Kentmere might be an option.

postierich
    Free Member

eckythump is bang on with the best route!

thekettle
    Free Member

May I recommend a slight improvement to Ecky Thumps’ excellent route?

On the trail from top’o’Garburn to Mardale Ill Bell, contour round the West side of Yoke and Froswick for some great, walker-free exposed singletrack (but go up over Ill Bell in between them, the contour path is very vague and grassy).

lowey

Not really a “big hill” though (although Ill Bell is a tough climb).

If your in Grizedale why not have a bash at Weatherlam ?

Coniston, Walna Car Park, coppermines Track, Bouylder Valley, Levers Water, Swirl Hause, Weatherlam Summit. Then take the EXCELLENT Ladd Stones ridge to Hole Rake, turn left into Tilberthwaite, then cycle track back to Coniston.

Splendid day out.

lowey

Also, I personally prefer the Froswick, Ill Bell and Yoke ridge as a descent. Standing at the top of Yoke its a great blast all the way back to Kentmere using the Garburn.

Aside from the switchbacks at the top, I always feel a little underwhelmed by Nan Beild. The pedal back to Kentmere seems to go on forever and is a permanent stream and bog if its wet.

thekettle
    Free Member

Not really a “big hill” though

Wetherlam is 762m, Mardale Ill Bell 760m.. totally different ball game 😉

chakaping
    Free Member

On the trail from top’o’Garburn to Mardale Ill Bell, contour round the West side of Yoke and Froswick for some great, walker-free exposed singletrack (but go up over Ill Bell in between them, the contour path is very vague and grassy).

Nice one, ta.

freeridenick
    Free Member

wetherlam – like the sound of that 😀

flyingmonkeycorps

Ta for the help all – we did Nan Bield via Garburn – Yoke – Ill Bell – Margate Ill Bell. Cracking ride and the weather was amazing.

I fear that riding a 120 mm hardtail for the first time in over a year was possibly a bit optimistic – round Grizedale was fine but an early OTB on Ill Bell (I think) kinda soured it a bit for me, and I ended up walking / mincing a LOT more than I normally would have. Need to go back though, I have unfinished business with those switchbacks…

stevedoc
    Free Member

Its always very wet back to Kentmere ,and the first time I tried riding those switchbacks I felt a little Meh ! but we went back 2 weeks ago and did them properly, I do love the little runs into Kentmere from Stavley and the one down into Sangil, Its a slog up to the top of Nan Bield after gatesgarth

Ecky-Thump
    Free Member

Glad you enjoyed it. Good route.

Need to go back though, I have unfinished business with those switchbacks…

The switchbacks aren’t so bad… It’s keeping the pace up all the way to the gate/river crossing at the end of the segment that’s tough (foolish Strava-fuelled incident last time, resulting in use of facial tissue as a breaking surface)

lowey

Wetherlam is 762m, Mardale Ill Bell 760m

How dare you pick perfectly valid holes in my argument 😆

flyingmonkeycorps

Aye, it was more me than the switchbacks that was the problem, I’ve ridden harder I reckon just wasn’t feeling it. Or rather I was!

Couldn’t have asked for a better day mind, the views were spectacular.

fizik
    Free Member

I like Garburn, Gatesgarth and then Nan Bield but then I am one of those weirdos that likes to carry their bike up hills 😆 Gatesgarth isn’t very technical but its as fun as you want to make it if you let the bike go and get a bit loose especially on the top switchbacks. Nan Bield left me underwhelmed the first time I did it on a hardtail and wasnt nice along the flatter bit at the bottom of the switchbacks in a steaming headwind but the grassy descent at the other end is a right giggle. Done the route in the snow/ice over winter which added extra awesomeness.

fizik
    Free Member

And for Grizedale, start in Satterthwaite, do Breasty Haw, Hole in the wall, across to claife heights, then hawkshead, back into Grizedale, I think thesselonians way? then onto Parkamoor down to Nibthwaite then back over via ickenthwaite, makes for a decent days ride, the map for this is in the cicerone lakes book.

al

I like Garburn, Gatesgarth and then Nan Bield but then I am one of those weirdos that likes to carry their bike up hills

Do you do Garburn east to west then? I made that mistake the first time. I’m not a weirdo so was a bit miffed. Maybe I’ll do west to east later this week. Bloody lovely in the Lakes today it was.

postierich
    Free Member

This is a good day out starting and finishing in Staveley 🙂
    https://www.strava.com/activities/401579421

fizik
    Free Member

No ride west to East over garburn then drop down to kentmere then sadgill, end up pushing top part of gatesgarth climb and carry over from the bottom of nan bield to do the nan bield descent into kentmere although have seen nan bield done in reverse

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 41 total)

The topic ‘What big hill in t'Lakes?’ is closed to new replies.