• This topic has 15 replies, 13 voices, and was last updated 10 years ago by JCL.
Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • what best value Vinyl player?
  • heisenberg
    Free Member

recommend me good value vinyl player please.. appreciate a web link 🙂

rockthreegozy
    Free Member

Project

Got a Debut (older model) here- spot on

AlexSimon

Rega Planar 2 or 3 if second hand

I haven’t heard the new ones but I think they are now called RP1 and RP3

SBrock
    Free Member

what is your budget

grievoustim
    Free Member

Don’t forget the phono stage – some turntables have one, old amps have them. But there is a good chance you will need to buy a separate one

(Don’t make the mistake I did and assume an amp with a “phono” option on the input selector switch actually has a phono stage )

binno
    Free Member

technics 1210 M2 with a decent cartridge. No belt which is the main issue with turntables.

ski
    Free Member

Very pleased with my Project turntable, I paid quite a bit more than this for mine!

http://www.richersounds.com/product/turntables/project/genie-mk3/proj-genie-mk3

40mpg

My missus got me a basic Steepletone like this for crimbo to play my old 80’s tat on. Built in speakers are good enough for my use, can be plugged into seperate speakers & woofer if you want.

Cost about £40 i think – not on a par with the above, but i’m no muso, just wanted to reminisce a bit 😀

jamj1974

I’ve got a Project Debut 3 SB from around 2005. Built in speed controller and phono pre-amp. I think it was around £170.

Works well – although I am not an audiophile by any stretch of the imagination, it sounds good to my ears.

jamj1974

I’ve got a Project Debut 3 SB from around 2005. Built in speed controller and phono pre-amp. I think it was around £170.

Works well – although I am not an audiophile by any stretch of the imagination, it sounds good to my ears.

flap_jack
    Free Member

Is the project free standing like that or does it need a box ? If it’s freestanding it looks fantastic !

heisenberg
    Free Member

to be honest i don’t know what it is that i am looking for.. anything good (ish) at £100 budget? does this include amplifier and speakers? or just turntable?

somafunk

Technics 1200/1210’s are great for DJ’ing as they have incredible torque and the ability to spin up to speed very fast due to the Direct Drive motor which has decent wow and flutter, this means they hold a very stable speed which is essential for beatmatching, also variable pitch control of +8/-8 for purposes of beatmatching, s-bend tone arm to allow for clearance to enable manual adjustment of the platter whether that be for pitch or scratching purposes.

However all those things that make it a great DJ turntable and i’ve used them since 1990(ish) conversely do not make it a great listening experience turntable as the dd motor imparts noise, variable pitch control on a pure listening turntable? – no thanks, s-bend tone arm? – not rigid enough.

A turntable should consist of 4 parts, platter with a separate motor driving it, tone arm and cartridge.

Anything else will be a compromise.

EDIT : The project above is freestanding, sit it on a big paving slab and use isolation pods under it.

RichPenny
    Free Member

I think you mean 5 parts somafunk 😉 unless you intend to break the laws of physics, you will require a plinth.

heisenberg
    Free Member

actually looking for something to play old vinyls like.. dean martin, sinatra etc.. days ..and occasional iron maidens.

JCL
    Free Member

“Vinyl Player” 😆

However all those things that make it a great DJ turntable and i’ve used them since 1990(ish) conversely do not make it a great listening experience turntable as the dd motor imparts noise, variable pitch control on a pure listening turntable? – no thanks, s-bend tone arm? – not rigid enough.

Total hi-fi garbage. 4 parts you say? Whatever you do don’t have a look at a Scanning Electron Microscope or something that requires REAL accuracy. You’d have a heart attack at all the component parts.

I recommend looking into the S/N ratio, pitch stability of a 1200 V’s the various bits of chipboard currently on the market. You might have a hard time finding specs for the latter as they’re usually so crap they don’t list them.

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)

The topic ‘what best value Vinyl player?’ is closed to new replies.