Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • What bearing "stuff" for a bodger (Hope content)
  • iamsporticus
    Free Member

Hi

I have a set of Hope hoops and a Hope BB on 2 bikes

One of the BB’s needs bearings and the wheels could do with some TLC too

Ive decided its probably worth my while buying the stuff as the cost of tools will possibly approach what my LBS will charge me for the job

Having had a mare with the bearings on a full suss bike back in the day Id like to know if there is a do it all bearing puller anyone can rec please

Fitting the bearings back is probably something I should look up too……..

Cheers

Northwind

I’ve not done a hope BB, but the wheels don’t need a puller, they just need a hammer and drift and a little care- very simple, as bearings go. I’d assume the BB is the same.

Refitting, you can use big sockets if you have them. If you don’t, you are less of a man 😉 The Hope kit might actually make sense if you don’t.

Conan257
    Free Member

Hope BB bearings are an odd size, if you weren’t aware.

So don’t bother spending loads of time trying to find the £2 bearings, they don’t exist. You’ll be spending over £10 on them I’m afraid.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    trail_rat
    Free Member

the hope kit is a revelation actually. – even if just for the nylon faced tube to rest the hub on.

but the rest of it is just specially made tubes that might as well be sockets

trail_rat
    Free Member

cheap bearings on hope hubs have proven them selves to be shit a few times on my bikes…..

5 years out of the original hope ones….. 6 months out of replacement cheapos , 6 months out of the replacement cheapos for those replacement cheapos – back onto hopes and we are 4 years in on them again.

davewalsh
    Free Member

A 40mm plumbing fitting makes a good freehub seal seating tool 🙂

mintimperial

Hubs you can definitely do with just a normal socket set and hammer and a bit of care. Not had to do either of my BBs yet.

honourablegeorge

Hope BB tool is cheap, and very easy to use. Costs about the same as a bearing – so if you avoid fitting just one bearing badly because of it, it’s paid for itself.

tomaso
    Free Member

Hope tools are very good but the thing you use to rest the wheel on when driving out the axle can be bodged with a reel of parcel tape…

dannyh
    Free Member

To spawn a different bodgery branch out of this:

If you do have the hope freehub seal installing tool, it does a great job of seating 32mm rockshox wiper seals into fork lowers!

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

The topic ‘What bearing "stuff" for a bodger (Hope content)’ is closed to new replies.