Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • What BB mounted chain device?
  • rondo101
    Free Member

Top & bottom guide, must be BB mounted.

Am looking at E-thirteen LG1, should I be considering anything else?

Would a top guide & clutch rear mech (which would be a slightly cheaper option 😯 ) be as good/better?

LordFelchamtheIII
    Free Member

Go with the clutch mech, you won’t need the chain device, or top guide, cost saving, weight saving, win, win, win!

Northwind

Clutch mech and top guide works well for me- very nearly as well as a double guide. Clutch mech and no guide didn’t really work for me at all tbh, might try it again with these new flash rings though.

LG1 is nice- Trail version might make more sense? MRP Lopes, or G2/G3 if you want a taco, also worth looking at (but I wouldn’t bother with the taco on a BB-mount- reason being, it’s fairly likely to rotate the guide if you catch it)

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    LordFelchamtheIII
    Free Member

Yeah, you need a ‘proper’ single ring though, if you use a standard ring with ramps and pins etc then it will want to jump off. I use a HOPE one which is mint, chain stayed put over wash-board rocks.

rob-jackson
    Free Member

in my experience you still need a top guide even with a clutch mech

rondo101
    Free Member

I have an e-thirteen guide ring & a SS components top guide on the HT at the moment. Riding rock gardens last night the chain was bouncing off, so I need another way of securing it.

£90 on LG1 trail, £60 on XT shadow+ or £45 on Zee shadow+.

Northwind

I was using a proper single ring. The XX1-style ones might help but even then, some SRAM sponsored riders won’t follow the company line on that and still top guides so I’m not that hopeful tbh. Keen to try it though. But for me so far a top guide’s been absolutely essential once out of the lowest gears.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

The topic ‘What BB mounted chain device?’ is closed to new replies.