Viewing 38 posts - 1 through 38 (of 38 total)
  • What bargain bin but decent road frame+fork?
  • molgrips
    Free Member

Where should I look?

Planet X
    Ribble

For general road riding, sometimes at a quick pace but only for my own pleasure, also needs to be able to accept tyres up to at least 28c or pref 32c.

molgrips
    Free Member

Ribble CR1?

FunkyDunc
    Free Member

What’s bargain?

rs89
    Free Member

Assuming bargain means up to £300, Dolan? Some Aluminium framesets in the £200-300 mark that I think take tyres of that size.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

S/h Cannondale R500 Caad4 off ebay, <£300, the wheels and groupset are pretty much junk but the frames are lovely. Mine has masses of clearance with 25mm tyres so the limit will be whatever will fit through your brakes.

spawnofyorkshire

Look for a s/h genesis equilibrium. I have one and love it. I run 28mm tyres in it, not sure if you could run 32’s though

joemmo
    Free Member

do you want discs or not discs? I feel like there’s another opportunity to start a pointless debate. 🙂

I will throw the Kinesis T2 / T3 into the ring here as a rim-brake option. Clearance for 28s and mudguards but still quite racy if you want to pedal it so. Sold mine a while ago and replaced it with a short lived fancier carbon thing that just didn’t spark the same affection.
    £380 at Merlin for f&f.

If you want reliable space for 32s then you may be looking at a cross bike in that price bracket, I don’t think the graventure trends of raciness + clearance have trickled down quite as much.

molgrips
    Free Member

Discs ideally, but can I have one that takes calipers or discs, so I can keep as much kit as possible? Would prefer not second hand.

The CR1 is £200 and there are several other sub £200 framesets on Ribble, so that’s the ballpark.

belugabob
    Free Member

This looks quite interesting, if you don’t want an out and out road bike.
    Would depend on which components you could keep/sell.
    Doesn’t seem to be on sale yet, though.

Paul@RTW
    Free Member

bike-discount.de are usually worth a look

molgrips
    Free Member

😯 those Cube frames on bike-discount.de

ads678

Is that a good 😯 or a bad 😯 ?

mrblobby
    Free Member

New T3 is nice for a budget winter frame. Under 400 quid with full carbon fork at Sigma.

molgrips
    Free Member

Is that a good or a bad ?

A good one – a lot of frame for 80 €

mrblobby
    Free Member

Dolan Preffisio frame and forks for 200 quid.

Not sure about those cheap Cube frames. Do wonder where they come from. Just frames and no forks?

thomthumb
    Free Member

Just frames and no forks?

aftermarket forks often look funky with hydroformed frames & are expensive making the frame/ fork not such a bargin.

molgrips
    Free Member

Maybe that’s why they are so cheap.

peteimpreza

I have a 54cm Synapse Alloy disc frame, fork and chainset in the garage looking for a new home.

molgrips
    Free Member

Those Dolans look great but 25mm clearance? Srsly?

Pete, interesting, but this is currently just window shopping, purchase is a loong way out 🙂 Unless of course it’s super cheap…

epicyclo

Cube Hyde has an EBB – handy for those who like SS or hubgear.

joemmo
    Free Member

Discs ideally, but can I have one that takes calipers or discs, so I can keep as much kit as possible?

way out of the price range but just FYI Kinesis 4s takes both brake flavours
    http://www.kinesisbikes.co.uk/Catalogue/Models/Racelight/4S-DISC

mrblobby
    Free Member

I hadn’t actually noticed that it would still take rim brakes 😳

Had looked at this as it’s got decent Di2 routing, which you don’t often find on training bikes. Now quite tempting to run as rim braked and have the option to move to discs later. Not as pretty as the T3 though.

irc

If an Audax frame would suit -(clearance for 700×28 and mudguards) in Reynolds 631 steel but size 44 or 58 only – there are a few Spa Cycles Audax Special frames being sold off. £250

https://www.spacycles.co.uk/m2b0s143p3561/SPA-CYCLES-631-Audax-Special-frameset

peteimpreza

Pete, interesting, but this is currently just window shopping, purchase is a loong way out Unless of course it’s super cheap…

Yes it is , email me to discuss

redstripe
    Free Member

Someone recommended these new frames with carbon forks and fsa headset a couple of weeks ago, all for £100:
    https://www.radialcycles.co.uk/bikes/framesets/revere-1-1-radial-alloy-frame.html
    Seems pretty good value

belugabob
    Free Member

…Not as pretty as the T3 though.[/quote]

They’re nicer than you think…

linky

TiRed

Alloy Giant Defy 5 frame. Comes with alloy forks, but you can pick up something carbon too. It won’t have discs.

davidtaylforth
    Free Member

Pinnacle Dolomite with full carbon fork for £350 on Evans.

n0b0dy0ftheg0at
    Free Member

Full Monty frame and fork for £180?

bettyswollocks
    Free Member

I’ve just bought a Forme Longcliffe Pro frameset for winter duties to replace my dead planet X. Reasonably light weight frame with full carbon forks. It’s surprisingly spritely for all it isn’t carbon. Frameset and headset/carbon bung etc all for £120.
    Forme Longcliffe frameset

MaryHinge
    Free Member

That Forme is a killer deal.

I got some stuff from Start Fitness a couple of months back. All good.

mrblobby
    Free Member

They’re nicer than you think…

I’m not convinced. Something about the angles around the top of the fork and head tube junctions just isn’t right. Be good to see one in the flesh though. Much of the reviews seem to suggest a harsh front end too.

Paul@RTW
    Free Member

aftermarket forks often look funky with hydroformed frames and are expensive making the frame/ fork not such a bargin.

Well, I don’t think this particular set up ticks the OP’s requirements but there’s nothing wrong with those Cube frames if you can find one that suits. I also happened to find a PX fork in ‘as near as damn it’ colours for £75. Apart from a new front mech and seat post, all the other stuff is straight off my 2004 Allez and it has made a pretty good ‘if I really can’t ride off road, I suppose this will do’ bike for less than £300:

belugabob
    Free Member

I’m not convinced. Something about the angles around the top of the fork and head tube junctions just isn’t right. Be good to see one in the flesh though. Much of the reviews seem to suggest a harsh front end too.

Fair enough – it’s all a bit subjective, isn’t it. Surprising how many people like the Range Rover “An elephant sat on my car” Evoque.;)
    As for the harshness, it’s only my second road bike, so don’t have much to compare against, but I’ve done a 100 mile ride on it, with no discomfort.

If you’re near Gatwick, you’re welcome to have a look at mine (Ooerr!)

molgrips
    Free Member

🙂

I’m thinking that if I have big enough tyres the harshness won’t be an issue. My commuter with alloy girder frame and Project 2 fork is really plus to ride on its 32s.

epicyclo

molgrips – Member
    I’m thinking that if I have big enough tyres the harshness won’t be an issue. My commuter with alloy girder frame and Project 2 fork is really plus to ride on its 32s.

That’s my experience. Once you have enough volume and supple enough tyres to get away with running lower pressures, it doesn’t really matter what the frame is made from.

But ‘alloy girder’ – is that irony or are you riding a Kirk Precision? 🙂

molgrips
    Free Member

I’m just being silly. It’s a Kona Dew circa 2007 and whilst alloy it looks pretty basically made. Lovely ride on the right tyres though!

molgrips
    Free Member

Viewing 38 posts - 1 through 38 (of 38 total)

The topic ‘What bargain bin but decent road frame+fork?’ is closed to new replies.