Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • What bar and stem combo?????
  • TonyT
    Free Member

Looking for some ideas please.. Running 28inch wide diety bars at the mo, with a high rise on them and an 80mm stem (stem nothing fancy BTW). got some christmas money burning a hole in my pocket and fancied something with a lower rise. If poss id like to keep a similar width but maybe save a few grams with out it costing the world (Diety bars come in at 295g acording to their website)

couple of the guys at work are suggesting thompson stems and easton bars but the easton bars are over £100 and thats out of my price range just now for bars alone. Liked the look of the easton bars though

i'm torn, id like to grab a Hope stem as i'm a bit of a Hope fanboy, but the thompson stems do look nice..

insperation required

Cheers in advance
    TonyT

br
    Free Member

Sunline V1 bars on a Hope stem?

coogan
    Free Member

I would have said Easton bars and Thomson stem as thats what I've always used and like. £100 for bars? You wanting carbon I take it?

james
    Free Member

Why do you have to have carbon eastons? Or is that to get upto width?

If you could live with 685mm, then EA70s (265g for 31.8mm, 250g for 25.4mm) are around £40 (if you're going lower you won't neccesserily need as much width)

Bontrager do some 710mm aluminium bars for 265g (31.8mm). Might be called rhythms? Bontrager (Race Lite = 31.8mm?) stems are pretty cheap and I think lighter than Thomson X4s (better check that though). Come in a range of rises too

The best way is to check all the manufacturers websites and see what width bars their ranges cover, what weight they come up as and check elsewhere as to how much they'll set you back

TonyT
    Free Member

oops, dont want carbon but thats prob what i looked at by mistake.. been noseying a bit more tonight and realised i had infact been looking at monkey lite bars the ea70 bars look like they could tick all the boxes.

gonna have a look at the bontrager stuff too though

Cheers

eistrar
    Free Member

Just got some Easton EA70 low rise bars and 50mm Thopmson X4 stem for xmas, great so far…

MulletusMaximus
    Free Member

Have you seen this offer? The stem is 10mm longer but it might suit.

nasher
    Free Member

Sunline V1 bars and stem. effing gorgeous, more so than the Thomson!!

TonyT
    Free Member

Mulletos good offer
    nasher hadn't considered sunnline (even though they had been suggested earlier) but the pic do look smart. I had it in my head sunnline only did wacky colours.

Had kinda settled on monkeybars and a Thompson x4 but need to ponder again

cheers again

bigbloke
    Free Member

On my susser i run Race Face Atlas AM low riser bars 685mm with a Race Face Atlas AM 70mm stem. Been good so far.

lunge

Hope Stem and either Easton EA70 bars or NukeProof wardhead if you want some extra width. Great combo IMO.

naokfreek
    Free Member

Sunline for both 😉

reggiegasket
    Free Member

[just out of interest] has anyone tried any of the scandium bars?

CRC has the Azonic B52

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Models.aspx?ModelID=7046

and Controltech SUP

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Models.aspx?ModelID=19588

I'm in the same boat…

TonyT
    Free Member

Another thing i'm worried about it the rise of the bars and the stem angle ( and the stem length)I dont fall into any specific riding genre, i just go out and ride what i can, be it commute, glentress, carron valley, canal path so was looking at aroung a 90mm (or 80mm, see im still not sure)but the rise thing has been puzzling me all day because i dont want to waste money on going too low.
    thought about a zero rise stem and an easton mid rise bar(30mm)

is there a rule of thumb? As its difficult to guess what my personal preference is when i need to buy them to try. What do you guys ride?

T

MulletusMaximus
    Free Member

I was going to go down the Thomson/ Monkey Bar route but the Merlin offer was too good to miss out on. Glad I did as they look good together. Haven't regretted it at all.

TonyT
    Free Member

Mulletus: ended up going for the merlin offer you pointed out. Thanks. Was too good a price to overlook. Got it fitted on the bike earlier. Very happy with it.
    Cheers again for pointing out the offer

& thanks to everyone else for replying, much appreciated

T

james
    Free Member

"is there a rule of thumb?"
    How high rise are your current bars? (And how wide are they)
    What length and rise angle is your current stem?

Where do your bars sit (vertically) in relation to your saddle at full pedalling height? And where would they be ideally?

You could work out any change in position exactly (and add in horizontal position in relation to the saddle) in excel providing you know the head angle of the bike. A bit long winded but you could see all your bar/stem options next to one another and work out what would put your bars where
    Not that I've done this before ..

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)

The topic ‘What bar and stem combo?????’ is closed to new replies.