• This topic has 28 replies, 23 voices, and was last updated 9 years ago by tops5.
Viewing 29 posts - 1 through 29 (of 29 total)
  • what baggy shorts come with a waterproof bum ?
  • qwerty
    Free Member

Like the idea of a waterproof butt strip combined with a regular short fabric. I want a not too baggy short, reasonable price. What’s out there? Ta

iainc

the ones that come free with a crud catcher ? 🙂

mactheknife
    warpcow
    Free Member

What mac said. I’ve got a pair that must be at least 5yrs old and still going strong.

Northwind

Altura Shield is supposed to do that. Haven’t tested mine that much yet, though.

devash
    Free Member

Madison Addict

chakaping
    Free Member

Royal Turbulence are good if you can get them discounted.

I’d prefer to pay a bit less than this, but they’re good shorts – especially if you want a more DH look…
    http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/royal-turbulence-shorts-2014/rp-prod111880?utm_source=Google&utm_medium=Shopping&utm_name=UnitedKingdom&gs=1&gclid=CjwKEAjw68ufBRDt0Zmrn4W_8AwSJADcjp1cJEDxIobNtKnHc79iDOp080lLX3n0Lr0PNMu2RQnhfRoCLIPw_wcB&gclsrc=aw.ds

smartboy
    Free Member

I’ve just bought a pair of those Endura ones. Good for stopping spray from the odd puddle or two, but obvoisly you’ll still get wet if you are riding for 2 hours in the rain!

Found it difficult to zip / unzip the pockets while on the bike without catching the inside pocket material and jamming the zip. Fine if you get off and stand up straight.
    Annoying for me when I fumble around in my pocket for my work pass to operate the car-park barrier in the mornings.

IA

+1 on the MT500 sprays

And I wear altura waterproof shorts when it’s fully wet.

roverpig

+1 on the MT500 sprays

And I wear altura waterproof shorts when it’s fully wet.

Same here. Altura Attacks when the rain is falling from the sky (about 1 ride in 10). MT500 spray when it’s not actually raining but there are still puddles on the trail (pretty much all the other rides 🙂 ).

No complaints.

Northwind

I love the Attacks, bit sweaty for summer use but like voodoo in winter. One of my pairs is basically shagged out now but they’ve been great.

kcal

Madiosn Addicts – which is what I wear now.

MT500s had a really odd sizing – I was in between sizes for them, the S were too tight on the waist and the M was too generous..

The Madison shorts I have are spot-on for fit…

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

Madison addicts are the best shorts I’ve had, no doubt they’ll change them now!

chakaping
    Free Member

+1 on “waterproof bum” shorts only being any use in light rain or dry weather but with groundwater.

epicyclo

iainc – Member
    the ones that come free with a crud catcher ?

+1

fathomer

I’ve got a pair of MT500’s which are pretty good, now a bit big though and a pair of Madison Addicts which are good as well. Might get some ¾ MT500’s this year, not sure yet though.

Altura do the Shield as above but there sizing doesn’t suit me at all.

STATO
    Free Member

Agree with above, have both attacks and 500’s, both good (prefer the feel of the 500’s). One thing tho, the Attacks may keep rain off you but they are not warm so i need to use decent padded shorts underneath.

Anyone with Attacks use the braces, i find the attacks dont stay up as well as MT500’s due to the material and waist band design, possibly also the tendency to wear bibs under due to issue mentioned above.

jambalaya
    Free Member

I have MT500’s (three-quarters), reasonably waterproof and they are used year round. Worn with roadie padded shorts underneath.

@fathomer – I find the 3/4 great for the winter, when it’s really wet I have knee length SealSkinz, quite the look !

Nobby

Another +1 on the MT500 sprays.

They’re getting old now though – anyone give a clue on sizing of the Madison shorts?

fathomer

jambalaya – Member

@fathomer
    – I find the 3/4 great for the winter, when it’s really wet I have knee length SealSkinz, quite the look !

This was what I was planning. Plus along with my winter boots I’d look pretty daft 😀

Nobby – Member
    They’re getting old now though – anyone give a clue on sizing of the Madison shorts?

My MT500’s are a large but pretty big now, tried the ¾’s in a medium a week or so ago and they fit much better. My Addict’s are a medium, so I’d suggest the same size.

Nobby

Cheers fathomer.

Couldn’t find a size guide on the Madison site.

theendisnigh
    Free Member

the reviews on the endura mt500 spray are worrying on crc. Seems they fall apart in no time. Anyone find durability an issue?

Nobby

Mine are at least 4 years old and still in one piece.

howsyourdad1
    Free Member

those waterproof army trousers form ebay cut to length for 15 quid

johnnystorm

Gore Fusion have a windstopper arse/crotch. Nice quick dry material else where. Also the Alp X all windstopper shorts, essentially waterproof.

Amazon have them but the prices are all over the place depending on size. Anywhere between 30 & 90 quid it seems!

wiggles
    Free Member

Another one with mt500 sprays here. Bought on a whim on the day before a wet uplift day.

They are great for when the ground is wet keep you dry for a few hours riding without being as plastic bag-esque as full water proofs

avdave2

I bought the Altura Semi Drys when I wanted 3/4’s as they seemed to give better coverage over the knee than the equivalent Endura ones. They are my winter off road commuting shorts and have been very good. Even when they get soaked in a downpour they dry very quickly.

tenfoot

+1 for altura semi-drys. Reasonable price and hard wearing

tops5
    Free Member

the reviews on the endura mt500 spray are worrying on crc. Seems they fall apart in no time. Anyone find durability an issue?

Yes me they lasted about 6 weeks (10 rides?) before falling apart at the seams – not happy.

Got another pair cheap off a mate who has shifted some lard. These have been ok so far (about 5 rides in)

Viewing 29 posts - 1 through 29 (of 29 total)

The topic ‘what baggy shorts come with a waterproof bum ?’ is closed to new replies.