• This topic has 57 replies, 56 voices, and was last updated 6 years ago by joe67.
Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 58 total)
  • What backpack do you use?
  • rascal
    Free Member

Toying with idea of getting a Camelbak Mule as seen with a big discount.
    Years ago they were the go-to pack for big rides…still the case? Has no rain/crap cover but not sure that’s a deal breaker. Have a Vango which does the job but had a few years now. Weighing up whether it’s worth changing…

ton

wingnut.

kayak23

Evoc, Enduro with protector.
    Very comfortable.

PJ266
    Free Member

Had the same Wingnut Hyper 2.5 for 9 years, one zip doesnt work anymore but its struggling on.

Will replace with another when it stops being functional.

joemmo
    Free Member

I have a 2016 mule and one of the originals (2003?) which is still going strong even though the bladder has long since crumbled. The fabric on the newer pack is thinner and less waterproof but construction still seems good. On a wet day I put things inside a plastic bag for extra protection.

Probably not the go-to choice any more but still a decent pack IME

rascal
    Free Member

Just given my Vango a once-over – it doesn’t need replacing if I’m honest. It has an integral rain cover too.
    Had a Mule back in the day and liked it and they are now £40 with 3 ltr bladder instead of £100…think I’m just being a ponce as the Charcoal Grey colour is a good match for new bike 😉

genesiscore502011
    Free Member

Osprey. Radial 34 commute, Raptor 6 mtb. Both excellent. Tried the Source hipster thing … did not like it. Years ago the Camelbak HAWG (still have in the garage) which was good but it was 15/20 years ago and modern packs are very advanced now in comparison.

Edit – the HAWG is actually 21 years old!!!!!

yossarian
    Free Member

Osprey raptor. Very comfortable and has some excellent, useful features.

Looking to perhaps get an evoc enduro at some point.

grobin13
    Free Member

The new Dakine packs are great. Comfortable with really nice magnetic tube clip. Also keeps back pack away from back so less sweaty. It replaced a stolen Evoc black line which was great but the top handle used to rub on my neck.

whatyadoinsucka
    Free Member

I Have evoc bags that are well designed 3L/6L and also an osprey raptor 10L?
    I like them all, only problem with the osprey is it has so many pockets and areas to hide things so it’s for big days only when I want to carry the extras, I’m toying with getting a camelback fanny hip pack

sparkerfix

Another vote for wingnut

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Raptor.

eddiebaby
    Free Member

Assorted Evoc Enduro and Photo backpack plus DaKine camefa bags. And fir simple ride out the Aldi cheap ones. I also have a Camelbak witgph a waist bladder, a Runner’s one.

rOcKeTdOg

Source hip pack

Klunk
    Free Member

some camelbak from around 2006 with more clips, belts, and clasps than I can count, it has lasted really well though!

says it’s havoc

like this but with an insulated water tube

CheesybeanZ

Camelbak Skyline , I’ve got a neck full of arthritis and its taken all the weight off my neck and shoulders .

tomaso
    Free Member

Evoc enduro are great back packs with bonus protection. The shape is long and thin and can take some getting used to. I have three from skinny 10l to fat 30l and have had no failures whatsoever in five years. Not cheap but from my motorcycle experience I question why you would ride with out a back protector?

Kuco

Raptor

StuE
    Free Member

Wingnut Hyper 2.5,comfortable and love the side pockets

RustySpanner

Alpkit Gourdon.

Light and simple, which I prefer.
    Not as cheap as they were, may investigate alternatives next time, but pretty much perfect for me as is.

2unfit2ride
    Free Member

OspreyRapor6, a complete revelation compared to my admittedly old Camelbaks.
    HTH.

middleagedmadness
    Free Member

+1for the gourdon , had for 3yrs now ,dragged up crags used for commuting and on mtb , looks tatty now but still waterproof and no faff

shredder
    Free Member

Osprey Raptor 14 superb pack and a great company.

onlysteel
    Free Member

Another Raptor here.

richardkennerley

I’ve had a lezyne adroit pack for 5-6 years, it’s been brilliant, really well thought it inside, good storage on the outside, extra sturdy. It’s just started to look a little tired so I thought I’d ask for a replacement for my birthday, but lezyne don’t make packs anymore!! Moved onto an ergon bx3,or ba3, I forget which. Not used properly yet, looks nice though.

flashinthepan
    Free Member

Osprey Viper.

flyingmonkeycorps

Just got an Osprey Raptor 14 to replace a 12 odd year old NF Hammerhead (I think). Only one ride in but very impressed – I tend to carry a fair bit and the pockets and pouches are really well thought out. Love the little tool roll at the bottom. Seems to move around a bit less too.

esselgruntfuttock
    Free Member

Dakine Nomad or a Camelbak Blowfish. Both ancient.

(I think the Camelbak’s a Blowfish, had it that long I can’t remember, could be a Mule)

P-Jay
    Free Member

Camelbac Outlaw from 2005, I bought it because it has a so-dar so you can carry a helmet on it, brilliant for roaming town in the Alps etc.

The only things that have broken in 12 years are the little tags on the zips, replaced by cheap ones from Mountain Whorehouse. It’s been through the washer more than a few times and there’s some mould stains where it say dirty and unloved for 6 months after a crash.

PROLINE85
    Free Member

Another Wingnut fan, have had the same hyper 3.0 for around 10 years

ads678

Got an Osprey Raptor 14 from wiggle a few weeks ago for £45. It’s great, really comfy and some great features.

jonnyv
    Free Member

Tried wingnut, very good,tried camelbak very good as well but Osprey win by a country mile.

hairyscary

P-Jay – Member
    The only things that have broken in 12 years are the little tags on the zips, replaced by cheap ones from Mountain Whorehouse.

……..”honestly I only went so I could empty my sack” 😯

Although I’m surprised they touched it………

there’s some mould stains where it say dirty and unloved for 6 months after a crash.

😀 😀

beicmodur
    Free Member

I have both the 2017 Mule and Skyline…. will you be disappointed with the Mule? Absolutely not. It’s a great bag and very comfy to ride all day with. It quickly replaced my Skyline as my go to bag even for short rides. Along with it’s massive capacity I like the fact it has stiffer central airflow column. This helps distribute the pack weight to your hips and off your shoulders much like a framed hiking bag will.

chevychase

Osprey Raptor. Great bags. Saved my spine in Courchevel when I folded a back wheel at speed and landed twenty yards away on my back.

Bust the water pack – was so dazed that I kept standing up and leaning over – repeatedly emptying the contents on my head.

But I can still walk. Which is nice.

🙂

jamj1974

I have bought several over last 10 years: –

– Osprey Raptor 10 – only one ride in, but very comfortable with lots of useful features – like the tool roll and the Hydrapak bladder is nice too
    – Camelback Charge 10LR. Great features and carrying capacity – but the lumbar reservoir was really uncomfortable
    – Wingnut Hyper 3. Low on features, high on usability and comfort. Probably the best pack although zip seems a bit of a weakness
    – Dakine AMP 24. Bit big for anything but epics, but cinches down a lot and has a lot of great features for tool and other storage. Also, supremely comfortable with a well-ventilated bike. Almost as good as the Wingnut. Great helmet storage and enough room for pads

bruceonabike
    Free Member

Raptor here

kiwijohn

Still using an old Dakine Drafter. Haven’t seen anything better.
    Perfect size.
    Quite water proof.
    Doesn’t have a heap of straps flapping about.
    A pocket for everything you need.
    Even a strap for the Bell chin bar.

RestlessNative
    Free Member

Wingnut splitback, just big enough for everything I want to carry, light and accessable side pockets, really comfy.

spacemonkey

Camelbak Lobo with a 3l bladder. A few years old now but comes up a treat in the washing machine and does the trick for several hours of riding. I add a stretchy “pack down your waterproof jacket” type netty thing inside the compression area when I need to carry some extra layers or pick up extra extra food en route.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 58 total)

The topic ‘What backpack do you use?’ is closed to new replies.