Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 57 total)
  • What are your thoughts on Electric bikes? I just got one and I LOVE it!
  • dwazzer
    Free Member

Just wondered if I was now a Cycling leper?

I have had troubles with my knees and joints since reaching my early 40’s and this has caused my fitness to rapidly decline! I wasn’t able to go pedalling with my (now 18 yr old) son which made me pretty sad!

SO, in order to get me mobile again and to help get me back on a bike, I have just got myself a Cube Stereo Hybrid, & I think it’s awesome! It means that I can do the trails etc with my son and not just drop him off and wait for him to finish his ride 😀

I went out on it for the first time today and I honestly think it will change my whole outlook on biking and re-kindle my interest again 😉 ….Just for the record, I still got a sweat on and had a good workout…I just covered a lot more ground than I would have ever been able to on a regular bike!

Cheers, Dave.

mitsumonkey
    Free Member

Thanks Dave, I’ve just talked myself out of getting one of those cubes after my should I shouldn’t I thread on here so I’m not best pleased to hear how good they are!
    😉

oldtalent
    Free Member

Some nobber will be on soon to berate you, not earning the decents, tearing up the trails, not getting sweaty enough, not being a proper bicycle rider etc.
    Its the future.

mitsumonkey
    Free Member

Its the future

I’m out on a road bike this week to see how my knees hold up so it still could be my future!

YoGrant
    Free Member

OP, I think you are the exact appropriate market. They aren’t for me at the moment but if it meant the difference between riding or not, then I think I’d be up for one in the future.

mitsumonkey
    Free Member

Sorry me again, which cube stereo did you get? Where was it from?

jamj1974

I’d like to be the nobber – but I think they can be great in your circumstances. Enjoy the trails!

rOcKeTdOg

we’ve sold quite a few cubes. owners seem to love them

Wookster

Lush!! Some great that you’re back out mate!!

Personally I don’t see what the fuss is about with E bikes it’s a bike it gets you out, yes you’ll have to wait for me at the top of a hill but you’d have to do that even with out the E bit!!!! 😆

RustySpanner

Nice one.
    🙂
    I’ve not heard a single bad report about these things from people who’ve actually ridden them.

They’re part of my future, I’m sure

tmb467
    Free Member

Had a sit on one today – definitely the future

Once new technology around batteries and motors comes through they’ll get lighter and better balanced

It’s definitely my future anyway

dwazzer
    Free Member

AWESOME…Thanks for the (quick!) replies and support guy’s!

mitsumonkey – it’s the ‘Cube Stereo Hybrid 140 HPA 27.5+’…quite a mouthful! I went for the plus sized tyres and I am really impressed. It’s quite a leap from my 2009 Trek Fuel. Mathew (the boy) got the Cube Stereo 160 Race (not electric!) after his stumpy was lifted by some scrotes and he is really impressed with that too 😉

cardo

When the knees and hips have dissolved I’ll be hoping Orange make one.

scaredypants

rOcKeTdOg – Member
    we’ve sold quite a few cubes. owners seem to love them

Thought you were a biomedic ? 😯

cozz
    Free Member

Yes they are awesome love
    Mine. Gets me out and further
    But lots of neg comments on here from people who haven’t had a go on one
    All my mates who have a go on mine think it’s great

chojin
    Free Member

Did you nab the last one off CRC per chance?

I had my eye on that!

Alphabet

I’ve just bought a Trek Powerfly. Due to heart issues I havent been able to ride for several years. For me it’s about keeping effort down to a minimum so I’m still slow and at the back but am loving being out riding again.

gears_suck
    Free Member

Any Bike is a good bike. Motorized or otherwise.

kerley
    Free Member

Not sure why so many have to qualify that they are okay if you have health problem, they are okay for anyone that likes riding them.

They are not for me (and yes I have tried one) as I would rather just ride under my own power and go as fast as I am fit enough to go but never understood why anyone would be against someone else having one.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

but never understood why anyone would be against someone else having one.

my only objections are around the over powered/not pedal assist ones. So long as the back wheel stops when you stop pedalling and there is no magic go button etc. or your not trying to make a moped without following the rules then OK.

The UK along with many places has a clear distiction between powered and unpowered for access.

The other problem is for roadies who make the mistake of trying to chase them….

kimbers
    towzer

Really impressed with the recent innovations, can’t see me not having one in the future – I’m hoping that they follow the usual technology trends through the years – better, lighter, more reliable, pretty much same price/or lower. Sooner or later the right one at the right price will come up and I’ll crack.

? Anybody near Oxford got a xs/s that I could blag a play on ?

dumbbot
    Free Member

It’s the future for fat lazy knobblers who can afford it.

[Troll mode]*

MoreCashThanDash

A mate got one a year or two back after an injury enforced layoff. Gone from not riding or getting any exercise to getting out at least once a week again.

If and when I can’t ride unaided, I’ll be getting one.

boltonjon

Lots of people have ‘lifestyle cash’ burning a hole in their pocket so the E-Bike provide a quick way into mountain biking

Lot of mountain bikers are rich in cash but poor in time. Buy an E-bike – saves having to keep the fitness levels up

All part of our instant gratification culture is suppose

TiRed

Two wheels good. All bikes are great and you and my wife are exactly the people electric ASIST is made for. Good for you and good for your son.

DezB
    Free Member

Electric bikes? [url=http://singletrackworld.com/forum/topic/good-looking-ebikes-do-they-exist]Never[/url] heard[url=http://singletrackworld.com/forum/topic/the-next-step-in-e-bikes] of[/url] them

munrobiker
    Free Member

It lets you ride with your son again, how can it not not be a good thing?! Enjoy it!

kerley
    Free Member

Lots of people have ‘lifestyle cash’ burning a hole in their pocket so the E-Bike provide a quick way into mountain biking

Lot of mountain bikers are rich in cash but poor in time. Buy an E-bike – saves having to keep the fitness levels up

All part of our instant gratification culture is suppose

Any evidence behind this bitterness?

I just see people using them as they make their riding more fun (remove the effort on hills, can ride further with their given fitness etc,.)

Larry_Lamb
    Free Member

So long as you don’t steal my Strava KOM I dont care.

core

I think they’re perfect for people in your sort of situation, and anyone else who wants one I guess.

I really think the core market is likely to be people looking to get back out after injury or loss of fitness, or trying to get fit and lose weight. Got to be much more fun actually covering some miles and having blast whilst building fitness than slogging away for a few miles on the same loop trying to build up slowly.

There will be some time/effort restricted folks who buy them, but they’ll be out riding a bike, so who cares, if it’s one more person cycling, it’s all good.

I rode one for the first time at the cycle show, a Haibike of some description, full sus, about 140mm I guess. I wasn’t a huge fan, it was bloody heavy, hard to pop the front wheel and on high mode I felt the assist was too much, slightly unnerving for me. In the real world I guess you’d only use high power mode for big hills. Batteries will evolve, as will motors, it will all be lighter and smaller in a few years, then I think they’ll be good, or better at least. I don’t really see them as the bike I’d want to chuck down a mountain though, so the long travel full sus thing seems a bit odd. A plus sized hardtail would be good for wheels on the ground mile munching though.

trail_rat
    Free Member

Used to sell loads to older people and less mobile people who wanted to continue cycling.

At the time that were great for that but not really fit for “transport” – the year was 1999 we had lead acid batteries and 24volt hub motors that dragged. The bike weighed as much as the sun and if the battery went dead you were going no where .

Tech has moved on so much I’ve just bought a kit to fit to an xtracycle Cargo bike to replace one of our cars……the battery weighs 6kg and the motor 4kg. There is no discernible drag when the motors off.

80km range at 15.5mph assisted – no throttle. -faster than the average commute through town , no throttle and 50pence to.charge.

Winner

No intentions of using it as an mtb…..it’s longer than the qe 2 😉

martymac

I have a 2015 cube stereo, mine is the 29er 120mm version (the 650b 140mm was sold out)
    Its great, it lets me get out, ive probably done more miles in the last 6 months than i have in the last year before that.
    Nobody who has tried it (quite a few people, im associated with my local lbs) has ever said anything negative.
    Ultimately, i would rather ride a normal bike, but my weight means i just can’t get up any hill longer than a few metres.
    I have used it ti ride home from my work, 33 miles, about 1400 feet of climbing, i weigh 20 stone and i had a sizeable rucksack with all my work stuff in it.
    I wore my normal work clothes, shirt tie, normal shoes etc, just to prove it was possible.
    Managed to get home with around half the battery left.

Marin
    Free Member

Its my future in 15 odd years. Would be great for Alps exploring. Of course will also attract fat lazy duffers to riding.

mountainman

A friend of mine has MS and it’s his life line ,cured his depression and improved his life no end.

So good for you Enjoy ,and your also supporting your son and showing him a positive outlook. Well Done .

RustySpanner

trail_rat – Member Tech has moved on so much I’ve just bought a kit to fit to an xtracycle Cargo bike to replace one of our cars……

🙂

Very interesting.

Any chance of some pics?

So many possibilities with these things.

For example, a tandem e-trike would open up so many options for people with disabilities and mobility issues.

It’s a whole new thing.

Yes, a stolen one will become the junior dope dealers dream option, someone will severely spanner themselves leading to frothage and you’ll encounter the odd knob out on the trails.
    It’s inevitable.

But the positives massively outweigh the negatives, to me anyway.

smokey_jo

Looks like the tech has been applied to wheelchairs already. link here It helps with the braking too which over undulating terrain is as big an issue as getting along and up.

tomhoward

*waves at tmb467*

Didn’t have an opinion on them either way, then I tried one on my local trails. Now I think they’re ace, so I bought one.

Sincerely,

Fat lazy prick/knobber with too much money who isn’t disabled enough to deserve one.

boltonjon

Fat lazy prick/knobber with too much money who isn’t disabled enough to deserve one.

ha ha – love it!

tomhoward

Interestingly, if I’m out on a group ride, invariably the discussion will turn to the ebike and there are usually some skeptics, much like the above and other threads, so I offer them a go. They never take me up on it…

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 57 total)

The topic ‘What are your thoughts on Electric bikes? I just got one and I LOVE it!’ is closed to new replies.