Viewing 40 posts - 161 through 200 (of 208 total)
  • What are your social anxieties…?
  • wrecker
    Free Member

Hi Darcy, how’s tricks?

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

Not too bad Joe, and yourself?

surroundedbyhills
    Free Member

Thinking I talk too much and give too much away. Usually the day after I have had a night out…

Why I cant stop using the word **** in company…

amedias
    Free Member

The background noise one has always been a problem for me, I’m partially deaf and resort to reading lips in most social situations outside of 2-3 people in a normal room, asking people to repeat what they’ve said is always a worry, you can only ask once, maybe twice before you start to feel awkward, normally I can read OK and they don’t notice but it’s surprising how many people talk to you with a glass/hand/phone/whatever in the way or while facing away or to the side, and it’s always a bit awkward having to say ‘could you please repeat that but so I can see your lips properly’

wrecker
    Free Member

Not too bad Joe, and yourself?

No bad ta Podraig 😀

bikebouy
    Free Member

Funny thread..

I don’t seem to have any social anxieties, certainly not the ones you lot have outlined anyhoos.

*yo Bro underhand handshake, smilie face, nod of the head

dirtycrewdom
    Free Member

Its not all about the ability to pay , its often about the willingness to pay.
    I have a few friends who are high earners , and they think nothing of buying 1 or 2 bottles of fizz , and several £20+ bottles of wine.

I’ve got a few friends who earn significantly more than the rest of us and will order stuff as above, but it is all to share and they always cover what they order and put in a bit more as well. Also usually the first to get rounds in and not necessarily expect it back. I think I’m just pretty lucky with my friends really. The well off tend to share their wealth all the time.

Also, the parties I go to are fun.

This thread has kind of digressed from social anxietes to getting old and grumpy.

Cheer up you lot! It’s all a lot more fun if you just embrace it.

cbmotorsport
    Free Member

Dancing ! no one’s mentioned dancing yet, what the hell is that all about ??? 99% of people who dance at parties look fooking ridiculous to me, which is exactly how I feel whenever I’ve drunk too much to resist friends’ constant nagging to join them. Spoils the whole night for me and makes me just want to go home.
    Or maybe it’s just me ….

Me too. It does spoil the night. If they left me alone, happily swigging my beer and people watching I’d be fine. It’s the constant ccoming up to you and trying to get you to dance, or the beckoning at you from the dancefloor that makes the whole thing so damn uncomfortable, coupled with the assumption that because you’re not dancing there’s something wrong with you.

grum
    Free Member

coupled with the assumption that because you’re not dancing there’s something wrong with you.

There is.

Of course not everyone has to dance all the time, and I won’t dance to music that doesn’t make me want to, or if I’m not in the mood, or the atmosphere doesn’t feel right – but having a blanket rule of no dancing ever just means you’re a bit of a miserable bugger IMO.

If they left me alone, happily swigging my beer and people watching I’d be fine. It’s the constant ccoming up to you and trying to get you to dance, or the beckoning at you from the dancefloor that makes the whole thing so damn uncomfortable

They’re all having fun, they can see you’re having a shit time being a miserable bugger, and they want you to come and have fun with them instead. The bastards.

brakes
    Free Member

I’ll only dance if I’m well oiled and ABBA aren’t playing.

cr500dom
    Free Member

I suffer with Crowd deafness, I don’t suffer with social anxieties as I accept them and am open about them.
    I forget names, so I apologise and tell people this when I meet them again.
    Its far better in my experience to be open and honest about these things, than worry all night because you cant remember someone’s name 😉

fervouredimage
    Free Member

If they left me alone, happily swigging my beer and people watching I’d be fine. It’s the constant ccoming up to you and trying to get you to dance, or the beckoning at you from the dancefloor that makes the whole thing so damn uncomfortable

[video]http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=xlMtY8BXhaA[/video]

BoardinBob

New Year’s Eve. Just a horrible, uncomfortable experience at the stroke of midnight. Creeps me out being in a room full of people having to give them all a kiss/ hug and a merry message. No idea why, just makes me feel mega uncomfortable. I’m normally massively sociable but NYE is spent on my own or with the wife (at a push)

aracer
    Free Member

Apparently like many others on here I hate noisy “venues” as I can’t make out what people are saying (when others seem to manage perfectly well). Not a middle aged loss of hearing thing at all – I had the problem in my 20s, possibly in my teens – now I am middle aged I don’t feel any need to go to such places.

I forget names, so I apologise and tell people this when I meet them again.
    Its far better in my experience to be open and honest about these things, than worry all night because you cant remember someone’s name

Good theory, but presumably you do manage to remember some people’s names, so by apologising you’re telling them that they’re not important enough for you to remember. I’m another who struggles with names, so make an effort to work on remembering them, and if I can’t I tend to try to avoid the issue – though doubtless that is often very transparent. The thing is, it’s not at all that people aren’t important – I can sometimes completely forget the names of people I know well (and also the word I want to use when in the middle of a sentence, which is presumably related).

I’ve actually got over a lot of my social anxieties though by realising that things I thought were scary can be quite fun once I’m past the initial hurdle – doesn’t mean I don’t have a tendency to revert if I don’t work at it.

Oh, and I’m with JY on the splitting bills thing – those suggesting why quibble over a few pounds here or there when it evens out over time are so totally missing the point. IMHO those people expecting you to pay for their drinking and expensive meals are the rude ones – with a group of well trained polite people the issue JY has wouldn’t arise, as he wouldn’t be expected to pay an equal share.

skidsareforkids
    Free Member

My biggest problem is not remembering folks’ names! I could be introduced to someone, told their name, three seconds later it’s gone… Permanently… i feel like a total dick because of it too, which in turn makes me even more anxious and makes me even more likely to forget! Sometimes I can’t even remember if I’ve met someone before… Before you ask if it’s drink related, it’s not. It happens every single day, and is especially bad on the phone! “Hi, is so-and-so there?” “Yes, can I ask who’s calling?” “Yeah, it’s (whatever)” “Dude, it’s the phone for you.” “Who is it?” “Dunno 😳 ”

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

Lots of people forget names if introduced straight away. If I’m at a party or wedding where it’s likely I’ll meet plenty of people I’ve never met before, and there’s that period where a bit of awkward “mingling” is required, I try to get a few sentences of chat in first before doing the “Oh, by the way, I’m… You are?” For those who forget names like this, it’s much more likely you’ll remember the name half an hour later if you’ve managed to chat for a few minutes beforehand. I can’t remember where I heard or read this years ago, but it does work (nearly all of he time).

TheWrongTrousers

Of course not everyone has to dance all the time, and I won’t dance to music that doesn’t make me want to, or if I’m not in the mood, or the atmosphere doesn’t feel right – but having a blanket rule of no dancing ever just means you’re a bit of a miserable bugger IMO.

See, that’s exactly the problem I have with dancing. You want to dance ? that’s absolutely fine. I don’t, so please leave me alone, I’m the least miserable person you could ever hope to meet but I don’t want to pretend to enjoy dancing and that doesn’t give you the right to make me look stupid and **** up my evening.
    Nothing personal, like 🙂

grum
    Free Member

It’s one of the simple joys of life which has been part of human existence for at least 9000 years.

[armchair psychoanalysis]
    Just out of interest, why don’t you enjoy it? I’ll wager it’s because you feel self-conscious doing it – which is a hangup you’d feel better about getting over.
    [/armchair psychoanalysis]

When Bruce Parry did a thing in Africa (can’t remember the country) he told them he didn’t dance or sing and they didn’t get it at all, because obviously everyone dances and sings. They’ve got the right idea IMO.

TheWrongTrousers

[armchair psychoanalysis]
    Just out of interest, why don’t you enjoy it? I’ll wager it’s because you feel self-conscious doing it – which is a hangup you’d feel better about getting over.
    [/armchair psychoanalysis]

Yeah, I do feel self-conscious while doing it, and clumsy, and ridiculous. Which are not feelings I enjoy. How would you suggest I go about getting over it ?
    It really isn’t a big deal, it just gets turned into a big deal by everyone else. There was a time when I used to enjoy it, but now whenever I take to the dancefloor it’s like Moses parting the Red Sea
    as everyone stands back to watch me make a c0ck of myself. If they didn’t make such a fuss about it I’d be quite happy minding my own business. No thanks.
    And I don’t live in Africa !
    🙂

chambord
    Free Member

How would you suggest I go about getting over it ?

What you need is The Right Trousers:

grum
    Free Member

Yeah, I do feel self-conscious while doing it, and clumsy, and ridiculous. Which are not feelings I enjoy. How would you suggest I go about getting over it ?

I dunno – just stop worrying about what other people think?

now whenever I take to the dancefloor it’s like Moses parting the Red Sea as everyone stands back to watch me make a c0ck of myself.

Or get some better mates!

TheWrongTrousers

What you need is The Right Trousers

Ha ha, brilliant, well done !

IanMunro
    Free Member

See, that’s exactly the problem I have with dancing. You want to dance ? that’s absolutely fine. I don’t, so please leave me alone, I’m the least miserable person you could ever hope to meet but I don’t want to pretend to enjoy dancing and that doesn’t give you the right to make me look stupid and **** up my evening.

Exactly. It’s like friggin jehovah’s witness with rhythm. Just because John Travolta is your lord and master, you don’t need to come over and try and convert me.

TheWrongTrousers

I dunno – just stop worrying about what other people think?

Easier said than done I guess.

Or get some better mates!

Maybe you’re on to something ……

grum
    Free Member

Easier said than done I guess.

True dat.

Exactly. It’s like friggin jehovah’s witness with rhythm. Just because John Travolta is your lord and master, you don’t need to come over and try and convert me.

I reckon I’m shit at dancing too, but I don’t care because it’s fun. Once you get used to the idea that you probably look like a bit of a tool quite a lot of the time, but it doesn’t really matter, life becomes a lot more fun.

baby
    Free Member

Has anyone said air-kissing?

Which cheek do I go for?
    How many times?
    How long?
    An actual kiss, or just touch cheeks?
    When we say hello?
    When we say goodbye?
    The Mum as well?
    Is it okay to use tongues?

Too much to think about.

thegreatape
    Free Member

It’s like friggin jehovah’s witness with rhythm

When you say ‘friggin’……

IanMunro
    Free Member

I reckon I’m shit at dancing too, but I don’t care because it’s fun. Once you get used to the idea that you probably look like a bit of a tool quite a lot of the time, but it doesn’t really matter, life becomes a lot more fun.

Yeah but I don’t even like doing it at home without an audience.

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

Really? My best moves are executed in front of an audience.

TheWrongTrousers

everyone dances and sings

There’s a Monty Python sketch in there somewhere, struggling to get out

davidtaylforth
    Free Member

There’s nothing more embarassing than someone who tries to look cool dancing.

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

Some of us don’t have to try.

Junkyard
    Free Member

^^^ 😀

i am a really poor dancer but who cares so are lots of others up there dancing.
    Like Grum I do enjoy it and think it is a fun thing to do so I have no qualms about dancing. If someone wants to laugh then excellent as that is two of us having fun.
    That said i dont like being dragged up to dance – when I want to dance I will dance thanks

cbmotorsport
    Free Member

grum – Member

coupled with the assumption that because you’re not dancing there’s something wrong with you.

There is.

They’re all having fun, they can see you’re having a shit time being a miserable bugger, and they want you to come and have fun with them instead. The bastards.

Not sure there’s anything wrong with me, just don’t particulalry like dancing.

You’re also assuming that I never dance. I do sometimes, rarely but sometimes.

That is all.

davidtaylforth
    Free Member

deadlydarcy – Member

Some of us don’t have to try.

😀

natrix
    Free Member

On the bill splitting issue… with my friends we each work out what we owe roughly. Everyone rounds up their rough total to the nearest fiver and you’ve got the bill covered, enough left over for a tip and everyone is happy.

Best way to do it imho………

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

Immagonna take JY out for a bit of dinner and a bit of dancing next time I’m oop north. 🙂

jools182
    Free Member

IanMunro – Member
    The only social anxiety I have is other people. Remove them from any social situation and I’m fine.

+1

aracer
    Free Member

Has anyone said air-kissing?

Clearly you don’t get anxious about needing to read the whole thread before making your point…

baby
    Free Member

Nope. That’d be boring.

I’m far more interested in what I have to say.

Viewing 40 posts - 161 through 200 (of 208 total)

The topic ‘What are your social anxieties…?’ is closed to new replies.