Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • What are your skills & experience worth?
  • Lazgoat
    Free Member

I left work in November and switched roles with my wife to look after our baby boy for a year. I’m absolutely loving it, he’s awesome.
    My old work still want me involved to help with some compliance and overseeing/helping with a software project they’re taking on.

I’ve suggested the amount of time I can allocate to help and an hourly rate. They want me involved but at half the rate.
    I’ve been there a good few years and have left on good terms.
    There will only be a few hours each week, which I’ll do in the evenings.
    The compliance side of things, and my involvement in it is pretty damn crucial to the continuation of the business.
    Do I stick to my guns or accept their offer?

5thElefant
    Free Member

It’s always easier to negotiate if you don’t need the work. Do you need it?

hammyuk
    Free Member

Are they employing you as your old role or as a contractor?
    Is the rate what you were on before or more?

MoreCashThanDash

Don’t go back for less than they were paying you, whatever happens.

You are effectively consulting and your bargaining position is that their alternative is either to pay someone else at consultancy rates or employ someone full stop, both of whom will need time and training to get them up to your speed. And be expensive.

Lazgoat
    Free Member

Luckily The work would be handy. But isn’t crucial.
    They’d have to re-employ me and the rate is higher than before.

5thElefant
    Free Member

You could offer to do less hours, at your preferred rate. Everyones a winner…

Onzadog
    Free Member

Still to your guns. Everything in life is cheaper if you buy in bulk, however they’re not buying your time in bulk so the price goes up. What you’re asking is more than you were on before but how does their offer compare to what you were in before?

igm

At a guess – 2.5 times whatever your employee hourly rate was.

john_drummer
    Free Member

At a guess – 2.5 times whatever your employee hourly rate was.

maybe a little lower ? I was permanent employed up to March last year, then made redundant. I’m now contracting through an agency who charge my client an hourly rate that’s a little short of double what my previous permanent job worked out at per hour.

geoffj

Daily rate = permanent yearly salary / 100 (ish)
    I’d avoid committing to hourly based work – It can become a ball ache if you end up waiting for others to hand things over. A minimum1/2 day block is a good compromise.

nickjb
    Free Member

I think double salaried pay is about right to allow for holidays,sickness, insurance, pension, voids etc. A little more if you can get away with it. Any less wouldn’t be a great deal but might be ok if you need the work or its something interesting.

Edukator
    Free Member

Nothing at present, too long out of the game.

However when my experience was worth something I was offered work I didn’t really want as it was Friday evening for 9 months. Madame was dealing with it so I suggested she send a quote they’d never accept – at least double it. They accepted. 🙁

On another occasion a company wanted to send me to Angola. My reaction was spontaneous, natural and blunt. They sent lots of people to me in France instead. 🙂

Lazgoat
    Free Member

Thanks all, accepted just under double my old rate for ask the reasons nickjb mentioned.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

The topic ‘What are your skills & experience worth?’ is closed to new replies.