• This topic has 130 replies, 89 voices, and was last updated 12 years ago by mboy.
Viewing 40 posts - 81 through 120 (of 131 total)
  • What are your petty bug-bears??
  • Rio

One I’m not sure on…
    Is it “I text her” or “I texted her”??

People using nouns as verbs.

“I sent her a text”

lunge

Sales people who, when asked for more information about an item (most recently a laptop and a radio) who accompany to said item and proceed to read the card on the shelf to you. That’s not more information, that’s information I already have after reading the same card myself.

Oh yes, this.

People who are late, particually people who are never at blame for being late. For example, my brother got married recently and one of our friends arrived after the bride did. It wasn’t his fault though as he had to travel 5 miles to get there and couldn’t park.

Sidney
    Free Member

Anyone who says aksed. WTF.

On a personal level I hate wet socks and sand in my shoes.

ocrider

One I’m not sure on…
    Is it “I text her” or “I texted her”??

“I sent her a text”

Shame that, cos one of the greatest things about our language is adaptability.

“How dense and deaf to language development do you have to be? If you don’t like nouns becoming verbs, then for heaven’s sake avoid Shakespeare, who made a ‘doing word’ out of a ‘thing word’ every chance he got. He ‘tabled’ the motion and ‘chaired’ the meeting in which nouns were made verbs.”

I think that Stephen Fry summed that up quite nicely.

binners

I’m surprised any of you sensitive souls manage to successfully navigate your way through the day without self-combusting.

You are aware that there are people out there who would love to have so little to worry about that they can spend their time whining, like a load of old women, about trifling, pointless narcissistic irrelevances like this.

Just a thought

RichPenny
    Free Member

See what i mean? You can **** right off binners

binners

Glad to be of service sir 😉

RichPenny
    Free Member

😆

CharlieMungus
    Free Member

Lorries that attempt to overtake other lorries, but end up sitting in the middle lane going exactly the same speed as the vehicle they’re trying to overtake.

This used to bug me, then i found out that lorries have such a narrow power band that they need to stay pretty much at a constant speed, so if they are travelling just 2 miles and hour faster than a similar truck in front, then it is a lot less trouble to overtake at that constant speed rather than slow down then have to get back to speed or to go down the gears to get the acceleration needed to get past quickly.

CharlieMungus
    Free Member

WTF? Verbing is perfectly reasonable!

DezB
    Free Member

This used to bug me, then i found out that lorries have such a narrow power band that they need to stay pretty much at a constant speed

Yeah, but why do they wait just for that moment when you’re about to overtake them, then they pull out, so you’re stuck!?

CharlieMungus
    Free Member

Yeah, but why do they wait just for that moment when you’re about to overtake them, then they pull out, so you’re stuck!?

They don’t want you to box them in

ourmaninthenorth

Anyone who says aksed.

Like Chaucer, for instance?

I’m a picky sod, and I like my language to be clear and precise – it’s what I’m paid for. But for chrissakes you lot, get a **** grip.

binners for king. So to speak.

Rio

“How dense and deaf to language development do you have to be? If you don’t like nouns becoming verbs, then for heaven’s sake avoid Shakespeare, who made a ‘doing word’ out of a ‘thing word’ every chance he got. He ‘tabled’ the motion and ‘chaired’ the meeting in which nouns were made verbs.”

People who quote Shakespeare to justify mangling the language.

ransos
    Free Member

The misuse of reflexive pronouns, in a failed attempt to sound clever. As in “please do not hesitate to contact myself”.

Gah!

CharlieMungus
    Free Member

binners for king.

Binners for king what?

For king annoying?
    For king opinionated?
    For king lovely?

ourmaninthenorth

Binners for king what?

Many things. Ask Hora.

fivelittlefish
    Free Member

The misuse of reflexive pronouns, in a failed attempt to sound clever. As in “please do not hesitate to contact myself”.

Gah!

This – irritates me beyond all reason.

bigyinn
    Free Member

Young mothers who smoke whilst pushing their newborn around in a pram.
    One of my bosses coming up to me when I staring intently at my screen and asking me “how’s it going?”. “Well I was fine until you distracted me from my chain of thought thanks”
    People who borrow stuff like tools from me and don’t bring them back until I ask if I can have them back. ITS MINE, WHY THE **** SHOULD I HAVE TO ASK TO HAVE MY DRILL BACK YOU ****!

binners

King of everything. Obviously! 😀

MSP

Royalty.

MSP

Actually my hatred of royalty is much much more than a petty bug-bear.

Imabigkidnow
    Free Member

People who struggle to get above 40 on a dual carriageway slip road. There could actually be a whole thread dedicated to annoying things drivers do.

This

A slip road is ideal situation to match the speed you’re about to merge with, and don’t forget to look over your shoulder at the soonest possible moment to find the gap. Don’t wait until you actually need to merge over the white line.

I see too many pootlers (and the complete opposite) who expect you to let them in, or just trust their mirrors and forget about the blind spot when you have someone barely 10 metres behind you and someone else overtaking so you can’t move out

I’m also annoyed by those who have never read the highway code on how to use lanes at a roundabout (I learned to drive in Swindon so am very fussy on this). Left lane for 1st and 2nd exit, right lane for 3rd (or more). Don’t go into the right lane to queue jump, kev round then cut back in on the 2nd exit. It’s not worth it, you’ve only gained 2 or 3 car lengths.

antigee

from above – cars/vans that tailgate you on slip road – then move to middle lane as soon as get on motorway and then match your speed so you’ve either got to pull in front with not much space or slow down and then overtake

and from earlier today = people at gym sitting on machines texting not actually resting betweeen sets just tossing it off

thomthumb
    Free Member

Left lane for 1st and 2nd exit, right lane for 3rd

that’s not what i was taught…

Helios
    Free Member

On that topic – I’d appreciate the STW wisdom on the correct lane to use if you want to go towards Ely according to the below road sign…

Roadsign…

Sidney
    Free Member

omitn – if chaucer used aksed then he can jog on with the rest of them

donsimon
    Free Member

I’d appreciate the STW wisdom on the correct lane to use if you want to go towards Ely according to the below road sign…

Left hand lane and first exit. Who in their right mind wants to go to Ely?

DrP

Oh mister binners, I’m sure these ‘quips’ really are the least of people’s worries, and that a little bit of therapy can be gained from expressing their PETTY BUG BEARS on a nice little forum.

I was thinking of a thread along the lines of “tell me you biggest life worries and health issues” and people could giggle on about their fungating nut cancers, or how their dog got squished by a car, but thought that would be less light hearted perhaps…..

You know-this forum isn’t the “be all and end all” for everyone’s lives…

DrP

binners

I’m sure these ‘quips’ really are the least of people’s worries

I wish I shared your confidence in that assertion. Have you read some of this stuff?

Imabigkidnow
    Free Member

On that topic – I’d appreciate the STW wisdom on the correct lane to use if you want to go towards Ely according to the below road sign…

I’d still use the left lane … read the highway code

I see it this way .. if you used the right lane, you’d then technically need to be indicating around the roundabout, you’d then be confusing drivers from the 1st exit that want to come off on their next (but your 2nd exit) but then have to dither to see whether you really going all the way around or not.

I’m confusing myself now.

Whilst if you stay in the left, but indicating around, it would be interpreted that there isn’t a gap for them to pop out the one turning.

NB .. only works on a two lane roundabout.

donsimon
    Free Member

Serious answer I’d say use either lane. The first exit looks very close to the entry road to not make a significant difference and therefore ok to use the left hand lane.
    Equally the right hand lane because it’s not the first exit.
    On the ground it might be different though.

_tom_
    Free Member

ok here’s one. Just went to install some software and the language choice was English (United States) with no choice for UK or similar. Doesn’t affect the way the software runs or anything, just nitpicky 😆

Lemurian
    Free Member

Misuse of the word ‘random’.
    People who ring after you send them a text.
    Small bags/suitcases with wheels.
    Jones bikes 😉

DezB
    Free Member

Blimey _tom_, that is petty 🙂

mrben100
    Free Member

That whole roundabout debate makes my blood boil. Unless indicated otherwise (road markings/ signs etc) letf hand lane for left and straight over – right hand lane for turning right.

Drive to Ely every day to work (but from Newmarket direction) and encounter this everyday – especially if you know the Burger King Roundabout in Newmarket.

MrWoppit
    Free Member

Me

stumpy01

I can’t contribute to this thread appropriately. I’ll be here all afternoon…….oh, can’t resist…..

middle lane hoggers
    people who overtake you, then slow down
    people who speed up as you overtake/attempt to overtake
    people who sit in the outside lane as they wish to turn right at a roundabout 2.5 miles ahead
    people who don’t indicate at roundabouts you are waiting to join
    people who cut you up to leave the carriageway at the last minute when the road is empty behind you
    people who pull out without indicating, but then indicate halfway through a manoeuvre.

Why is there no wind until you need to start folding your tent up?

People who won’t thank you for holding a door open
    People who make no effort to play their part in helping to negotiate a busy shopping area (or similar) and will not move an inch from their current path, or even turn a shoulder.

Shop assistants who ask you if you need help, but then know less than you do about the thing they are asking whether you need help with

Computers that crash just when you need them most
    Phones with no signal just when you need them most

Small fiddly objects that you drop, which then travel under something just far enough that you can’t reach them.

People who buy the expensive stuff (e.g. bling bike with fancy wheels, carbon bars, expensive tyres) but never have the boring basics, like a pump, tube, multi-tool etc.

donsimon
    Free Member

I can’t contribute to this thread appropriately. I’ll be here all afternoon…….oh, can’t resist…..

middle lane hoggers
    people who overtake you, then slow down
    people who speed up as you overtake/attempt to overtake
    people who sit in the outside lane as they wish to turn right at a roundabout 2.5 miles ahead
    people who don’t indicate at roundabouts you are waiting to join
    people who cut you up to leave the carriageway at the last minute when the road is empty behind you
    people who pull out without indicating, but then indicate halfway through a manoeuvre.

Why is there no wind until you need to start folding your tent up?

People who won’t thank you for holding a door open
    People who make no effort to play their part in helping to negotiate a busy shopping area (or similar) and will not move an inch from their current path, or even turn a shoulder.

Shop assistants who ask you if you need help, but then know less than you do about the thing they are asking whether you need help with

Computers that crash just when you need them most
    Phones with no signal just when you need them most

Small fiddly objects that you drop, which then travel under something just far enough that you can’t reach them.

People who buy the expensive stuff (e.g. bling bike with fancy wheels, carbon bars, expensive tyres) but never have the boring basics, like a pump, tube, multi-tool etc.
    Are you me?

redted
    Free Member

“People who put tins of cheap shaghetti / whatever in with the baked beans / whatever, but as I’m a bloke and obviously can’t read labels, don’t realise until I get home. I’ve got about 8 tins of beef ravioli and kidney beans in the cupboard. I hate beef ravioli and kidney beans.”

Funniest thing I’ve read on here in ages! Top whinge!

Viewing 40 posts - 81 through 120 (of 131 total)

The topic ‘What are your petty bug-bears??’ is closed to new replies.