Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 40 total)
  • What are your magic numbers ?
  • nickfrog
    Free Member

For me on a 140mm HT :

74 deg seat angle
    66 deg head angle

Descends well, climbs well.

I know there are other parameters but from a pure angle POV, what works for you ?

retro83
    Free Member

prawny

Sagged or static?

But it’s by the by, I don’t know yet, I haven’t ridden enough bikes. 66.5 (static) seems ok, but maybe could be a degree more. Can’t afford/be bothered to find out though currently, ignorance is bliss.

Junkyard
    Free Member

it amazes me that folk care this much about their bike and that they know what angle they prefer and the exact tyre pressure and all that sort of stuff

Stoner
    Free Member

1×1

jonba
    Free Member

6.022×10^-23 if you substitute it for abara cadabra then sometimes people don’t notice.

SaxonRider

I like 8, 29, and 33.

nickfrog
    Free Member

it amazes me that folk care this much about their bike and that they know what angle they prefer and the exact tyre pressure and all that sort of stuff

It amazes me they don’t care – it’s very easy/quick to work out the angles based on travel and IME a couple of degrees make a big difference.

As for tyre pressure, I simply squeeze the tyre before riding : simple enough for you ? 😉

All static btw.

slowoldman

If I tell you they will lose their powers.

theotherjonv

or 318 plus some

I’m also drawn towards 48.2 and feel a certain revulsion for 51.8, but that’s just me.

I also like prime numbers but especially 13, 17 and 27

qwerty
    Free Member

[video]https://youtu.be/dLBx3g8cowY[/video]

DezB
    Free Member

I reckon

Head Angle: 62.5
    Seat angle: 74.5
    or
    http://www.bikes2udirect.com/bikes_html/images/items/B4327.jpg

jamesoz

Out of 5 bikes, I have no clue to any of the angles. Some are slack, some are steep.

chakaping
    Free Member

Whatever happened to them anyway? Saw them live once at a corporate event and they were surprisingly great.

km79
    Free Member

What are your magic numbers ?

That’s private.

PimpmasterJazz
    Free Member

[video]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aU4pyiB-kq0[/video]

P-Jay
    Free Member

I did like the Magic Numbers, no edge to them without being shit, it’s a neat trick.

Badly Drawn Boy was similar.

P-Jay
    Free Member

Oh yeah angles and such. Don’t care really, 20 min ride will tell me more than a million measurements and angles.

Northwind

About 440, 450m reach- I know the trend’s for longer but this is comfortable for me.
    760-780 bars
    Head angle south of 65 but I slacken everything off on general principles. Current main bike is about 64, I’d like it to be less but it works.
    Wheelbase maybe about 1200? Current bike is 1180, wish it was just a tad longer
    BB drop as low as you can get without dying all the time

And one of my favourite bikes ever, my Dune, has only one of these things so go figure. If I judged it purely on the numbers, like an MBR journalist, I’d have never bought it.

chakaping – Member

Whatever happened to them anyway? Saw them live once at a corporate event and they were surprisingly great.

Saw Michelle Stodart playing solo the other night, supporting David Ford- she’s gone all country. Fantastic voice. And rocked the bass for the boy Ford.

PimpmasterJazz
    Free Member

Sagged or static?

Makes quite a big difference.

poah
    Free Member

jonba – Member

6.022×10^-23 if you substitute it for abara cadabra then sometimes people don’t notice.

chakaping
    Free Member

Serious answer…

I’m not mega fussy about head and seat angles – just like them slack-ish and steep-ish respectively.

Reach 460mm
    Chainstays 450mm
    Seat tube 450mm or less
    Head tube depends on fork travel.

I did think I was fixed on 430mm CS, but as I’ve tried bikes with longer reach – it seems they’re better balanced and more stable for me with longer stays as well.

kayla1
    Free Member

They used to 1, 7, 13, 25, 34 and 49 but thank **** they changed the way the lottery is drawn because I hadn’t bought a ticket in years.

Bikes? No idea. The mk3 Soul’s pretty good if that helps. It’s chuckable yet trundleable/bimbleable.

edit- I quite like 5, 12 and 13 as well. Pythagorean, innit, which is nice when you’re watching the snooker on the telly.

ads678

36, 26, 36!

Bikes though no idea. My newest bike is a cotic solaris. It’s good.

My other mtb is a commencal meta am, that really pissed me off last weekend, but that was the brakes fault. Not the frame…

RustySpanner

1500 (Price).
    26 (Wheel size).
    27 (Gears).
    2 or 3 (Bottle cages).
    135 (Rear axle).

bedmaker

For me on a 27+ 150mm HT :

75 deg seat angle
    62.5 deg head angle

simondbarnes

andytherocketeer

e^i?

chiefgrooveguru

I don’t know anymore – both the full-sus and hardtail feel really great though! The latter has more reach and a shorter stem and narrower bars, shorter chainstays, similar sagged BB height, slightly steeper seat angle but is about three degrees less slack at sag (67 vs 64 deg HA). It’s all too complex!

SaxonRider

I see your ‘3’ Pimpmaster Jazz, and raise you ’12’…

[video]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JZshZp-cxKg[/video]

garage-dweller

Number Two.

Northwind

garage-dweller – Member

Number Two.

Ah good, a fellow coprophile! We should hook up

garage-dweller

garage-dweller – Member
    Number Two.

[quote]

Ah good, a fellow coprophile! We should hook up[/quote]

You’re right I do think the Police do a good job.

Rorschach
    Free Member

33-19

cookeaa

For me on a 140mm HT :

74 deg seat angle
    66 deg head angle

While I own a HT with similar numbers, that’s hardly and exhaustive description of a bikes geometry…

greatbeardedone
    Free Member
    nickfrog
    Free Member

While I own a HT with similar numbers, that’s hardly and exhaustive description of a bikes geometry…

Absolutely and it’s not meant to be.

I did write “there are other parameters” in my OP but you might have missed that bit. 😉

funkmasterp

Number 5

Oblongbob

I like your thinking, but your avocado is a bit wee. You must have tiny moles.

maccruiskeen

0898 505050

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 40 total)

The topic ‘What are your magic numbers ?’ is closed to new replies.