Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 129 total)
  • what are your favourite movies that not a lot of people have heard of?
  • toby1

187 – Samuel L Jackson, gritty as hell about a teacher in a rough school in the US – probably my favourite film.

SFW – early 90's hostage film, has some great lines.

-1 Brick, I hated that!

chakaping
    Free Member

My Name is Nobody.

Great minor spgahetti western with Henry Fonda that has a lovely sense of humour and a wonderful soundtrack.

At least I think nobody else has heard of it.

grievoustim
    Free Member

An Australian comedy called "the castle" . A big hit over there, I don't think you can get it on DVD here, I used to have a VHS . It's very funny if you ever see it on late night tv

nbt

dust devils,hardware

Got them on a double header VHS tape, not watched them in ages. Harware feautres Carl McCoy of Fields of the Nephilim and Lemmy from Motorhead, I seem to recall

Les Visiteurs

Yep, but not the american remake (also starring Jean Reno)

Nikita, the original french version not the american shot-for-shot remake "the assassin" starring Bridget Fonda

Oh, and a couple of early Peter Jackson films, Bad Taste and Braindead.

Not watched any of the above in ages, time to break out the video methinks!

gab344
    Free Member

Brazil – 1985 Terry Gilliam somehow gets Robert De Niro at the pinnacle of his acting career, and then sticks him in a balaclava so he is unrecognisable for 95% of the movie.. genius 😀

djc1245
    Free Member

The Dish. amusing
    The original of Taking Pelham 123 is great, the remake was pretty good too ..i thought so anyway.
    French film called Them was good.

Kojaklollipop
    Free Member

Dogtown and Z-Boys … nobody I mention it to has ever heard of it but a few might know it on here? More of a documentry really about a gang of skateboarders that '… virtually revolutionised skateboarding with an aggresive style' back in the 70's, some great 'old-skool' footage and interviews.

Bit on youtube http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=viD-Xx2NUwI&feature=related

🙂

WhatWouldJesusRide
    Free Member

nbt – I forgot about the US remake.

And for good reason!

ooOOoo
    Free Member

The Day the Earth Caught Fire

MrNutt
    Free Member

antonias line

BoardinBob

A couple of my favourites

THE MUSIC OF CHANCE

MARIA FULL OF GRACE

thomthumb
    Free Member

zatochi – japenese film about a blind swordsman
    the harder they come – jamacian film loosely based on jimmy cliff and the Jamaican Dillinger. good if you like reggae.

nicko74

MARIA FULL OF GRACE

How can this be your favourite obscure film? It's utterly depressing!

I watch quite a lot of obscure films – I guess it's one of the advantages of something like Lovefilm.
    Brazil – good but a little full on in places.
    I watched the fall recently – again, not bad, like a cross between Gilliam and Guillermo Del Toro.
    Intacto's great, and there's another film that has a similar theme of luck being something some people have and others don't, although I've forgotten its name.
    Star Wars – not a lot of people have heard of it. The dialogue's a bit stilted in places but it's an interesting niche idea, and the shock ending is a bit of a shocker!

My favourite 2 have to be, though, A boy and his dog (1970s post-apocapalyptic B-movie with Don Johnson) and Bad Santa (epicly funny)

rightplacerighttime
    Free Member

Etre et Avoir – documentary about a tiny French village school – much, much better than it sounds.

BoardinBob

How can this be your favourite obscure film? It's utterly depressing!

😕

The thread isn't called

"What are your favourite light hearted movies that not a lot of people have heard of?"

waynekerr
    Free Member

Angela's Ashes

Scienceofficer
    Free Member

Shichinin no Samurai
    Outland
    Ghost dog
    For some reason, the original 'Manhunter' seems to have been forgotten in favour of the markedly less good big budget versions with Hopkins.

woody2000
    hugorune

Another vote for The Big Blue – simply beautiful cinematography.
    Braindead, Bad Taste or Meet the Feebles – Peter Jackson before he started reading too much Tolkien.
    Or my favourite small independent film staring a Frenchman – Highlander 🙂

rightplacerighttime
    Free Member

They Live reminds me of "The Thing" or in fact pretty much any John Carpenter film.

hugorune

"I came here to kick ass and chew bubble gum, and i'm all out of bubble gum" – classic

woody2000

There's a fight scene reminiscent of Peter Griffin vs The Chicken IIRC. Top stuff!

nicko74

Oooh, also Oldboy, definitely. Most of the other Korean gore films are too much for me though.

The thread isn't called

"What are your favourite light hearted movies that not a lot of people have heard of?"
    Fair point 🙂

mickyfinn
    Free Member

Divorcing Jack, http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Divorcing_Jack_%28film%29

Tale of Two Sisters http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/A_Tale_of_Two_Sisters

Amelie http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Am%C3%A9lie

The Twilight Samurai http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Twilight_Samurai

Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind, Big name actors and original to the point of genius, shame the director has produced utter crap since, shame.

Momento Big(ish) name actors and original to the point of genius, Luckily Christopher Nolan hasn't produced utter crap since, :0)
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Memento_%28film%29

organic355
    Free Member

THE FOUNTAIN (Fricking awesome!!) Sound track gives me shivers man!!!

organic355
    Free Member

PANS LABYRINTH is good too

jon1973
    Free Member

Aussie film "The Castle"

Gilles

Les Visiteurs, frankly, I was thinking to leave Singletrack after that statement, but then somebody mentions "etre et Avoir", so this is all good now (for "Etre et Avoir", Have you also try "The Class"?).

chappers
    Free Member

I like the dish as well – about an Aussie tracking station that tracks the space shuttle for the 1969 moon landing. Very inoffensive that you can watch with your gran.

I also like Split Second – Rutger Hauer a cop running on chocolate and coffee in a semi-flooded London with an uptight by the rules side kick chasing an Arnie Predator style creature who killed his partner. Just as good, if not better than Predator.

tron
    Free Member

Man Bites Dog. It's a comedy about a bunch of film students making a documentary about a serial killer.

nbt

Man Bites Dog. It's a comedy about a bunch of film students making a documentary about a serial killer.

I'd forgotten about that, my mates bought me that at uni. It's a very dark comedy, I felt sick after watching it and haevn;t seen it since – untouched for over 15 years!

theyEye
    Free Member

Solaris, the original russian version. Spooky but not scary.
    Anything by Kieslowski — The three colours trilogy is unparalleled, and some of his earlier stuff is great; short film about killing, double life of veronique, etc.

tron
    Free Member

Best bit by far is the scene where's everyone's laughing away, and it cuts to another scene. Just before the cut, for a couple of frames, Benoit's expression changes to pure rage. Hilarious.

MadBillMcMad

not sure if these are little known but I have not seen them on TV for ages.

The Cook the Thief His Wife & Her Lover

The Draughtsman's Contract

ooOOoo
    Free Member

Anyone mentioned La Haine?

Will have to bookmark this thread for some rainy days – nice one all

mefty
    Free Member

Another vote for The Taking of Pelham 123, I am a bit Walter Matthau fan, two others of his which are less well known, which I enjoyed are Charlie Varrick and The Fortune Cookie (his first film with Jack Lemmon).

Dinner Rush was recommended by a friend and is excellent. My quid pro quo was Big Night.

I also thought the original Manhunter was pretty good.

spacecadett
    Free Member

Mega Shark vs Giant Octopus

The woeful special effects make this a film not to be missed

Frizzer
    Free Member

+1 The Fountain

Noroi – documentary style Japanese horror
    Short Bus – cheeky but good none the less

parkedtiger
    Free Member

F for Fake
    The Trial
    Tetsuo: The Iron Man
    Subway
    Laputa

Plus 1 for The Day the Earth Caught Fire and My Name is Nobody

jimmy

Death Machine! Classic.

I want to watch a movie now – where can I get the free online?

Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 129 total)

The topic ‘what are your favourite movies that not a lot of people have heard of?’ is closed to new replies.