Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 55 total)
  • What are your creative parking solutions?
  • Onzadog
    Free Member

Moving house soon when we find something we like. There is only place we like but I think parking will be an issue.

It’s on a private road which serves ten properties. It’s all allocated page king with a couple of visitors spaces. We wouldn’t get any allocated parking as ours (what would be) has a drive behind a powered gate. The drive is 3.8m x 8.5m. However, it backs onto the French doors which open outwards meaning we can’t really use the full 8.5m.

We’d like to drop down to a one car family but for different he foreseeable future, we’re stuck with two cars. The nearest on street parking is about 40m away but in front of terrace housing so in high demand anyway.

Hate to have to walk away from this one because of parking but unless there’s a solution we missed, we might have to.

Any ideas?

ianfitz
    Free Member

When I lived in a terraced house I was lucky to be able to get within 40m. (Never put glue in anyone’s lock though…)
    Do you need to be able to park close?

m0rk
    Free Member

You should be able to just about stagger the cars (depending on where the french doors are & how big your cars are)

I’d pass though, parking / seeing where your car is can be important

Can you just leave the gates open & gain a few more feet that way?

thepurist

muppetWrangler
    Free Member

Park in front of your gates.

trail_rat
    Free Member

Fit sliding doors instead of french doors.

TheBrick
    Free Member

I can not always park my van outside my house. I often keep a bike in the back and ride if I have to park too far away. It take up a bit too much room in the back so I’m thinking of getting a long board to shuttle backwards and forward between house and van.

Onzadog
    Free Member

Can’t overhang the gates or park in front as that’s the access road. Happy for the second car to be parked some distance away but that 40m is where the terraces start, they go on for some distance.

Love the subterranean parking but I’d wager that costs more than the house itself.

muppetWrangler
    Free Member

Swap car number one for one of these, then park car number two, on car truck number one

Junkyard
    Free Member

Its good plan that one 😆

Just walk if it is only short term and the pain of this may encourage you to get to one car faster.

WorldClassAccident
    Free Member

muppetWrangler
    Free Member

buy a couple of smart cars. You could fit 3 of them on that drive with almost half a metre to spare.

Onzadog
    Free Member

I’d need 3 smart cars to carry half the stuff I lug around for work.

andyl
    Free Member

The purist beat me to it.

But if that’s too expensive:

spooky_b329

Open french doors. Drive in. Sorted 🙂

Onzadog
    Free Member

I can’t, behind those French doors is going to my in-house bike room.

Drac

8.5m is way bigger than a car.

spooky_b329

But not way bigger than two

allthepies
    Free Member

Yes, but the OP is looking to park two cars into the space. And not all of the 8.5m is usable.

Drac

3.5m wide and he’s dropping down to one car.

allthepies
    Free Member

Read the OP again 🙂

andytherocketeer

seeing those automated parking pics above…
    really ought to video my car going in and out of my automated parking basement garage
    (28 places, 7 end to end slots, stacked 2 high on each side afaik)

andyl
    Free Member

Any scope to make the drive wider, possibly at an angle so you can jig the parking? Post up a google earth shot if you can.

Onzadog
    Free Member

We’d like to drop to one but that would depend on the wife finding a new job. My job will always need a car (rammed full of equipment).

For the foreseeable future we need two cars.

Onzadog
    Free Member

Possibly could go a little wider but it would eat into the already tiny garden. Been looking at pics wondering if we could somehow get them both in there without blocking the French doors and not blocking the other car.

Drac

Can you hinge the doors to go in over instead.

trail_rat
    Free Member

Smaller second car. Get the wife a c1. /aygo

Personally id can it , parking jenga is shite.

Bustaspoke
    Free Member

Probably not what you want to hear,but if you are going to have parking problems don’t move there.I used to live in a terraced house with on road parking,lovely house but the parking issue was a real pain for both me & anyone visiting.I never realised how much of a issue it was until I moved to a place with off road parking,never again..

Daffy

My 3 series Touring = 4470mm, my wifes Panda is 3540mm. That’s 8000mm leaving you a good 500mm to open the doors.

I don’t see a problem.

northernmatt

Just take pointers from my new neighbours and park wherever you like even if it does block access to the back lane and four garages, on a regular basis, then piss and moan when asked to move your needlessly big Shogun or Hilux. I’d start a thread but I’m resigned to that fact that they are arseholes and will never learn.

Onzadog
    Free Member

See, I don’t want to be that person. No point kissing the neighbours off. Especially as all ten owners share this freehold. Wiser to get along I think.

Quick calculation suggests that with both cars on the drive, we’d have less than an inch of clearance total.

Onzadog
    Free Member

The black car in the pic shouldn’t be there by the way.

The bit we’re looking at is bottom right corner of the building.

trail_rat
    Free Member

What matts saying is there will always be one **** on the freehold . Might not be you but it will not be rosey and run exactly as its sold to you , restricted parking is crap.

allthepies
    Free Member

Are they old models ? The latest stats for both cars are longer than that.

3 series touring 4624 mm
    Panda 3653 mm

= 8272mm

trail_rat
    Free Member

Oh thats easy . Just make the drive wider and dig up some grass

You’ll have to sacrifice garden but its sacrafice garden or sacrafice a car.

, ps your having these thoughts now , what are prospective buyers when you sell going to be thinking.

Im out. Looks like a postage stamp crammed in with no garden/drive or access.

allthepies
    Free Member

That ^^^

Onzadog
    Free Member

Yeah, I know it has the potential to be pants. Drive bys reveal that the current owners use a neighbours space for their second car. Obviously, we can’t rely on th same. I want to work out exactly how restrictive this parking will be as the house it lovely otherwise.

TheBrick
    Free Member

No point kissing the neighbours off.

Ahhh. It’s one of those private roads.

br
    Free Member

As others have said, it’ll cause you long term pain/hassle – keep looking?

Onzadog
    Free Member

No point kissing the neighbours off.
    Ahhh. It’s one of those private roads.

Bloody auto correct!

Replacing grass with driveway is an option but I think it will still mean shifting one car to get the other out and what effect might that have when we come to sell.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 55 total)

The topic ‘What are your creative parking solutions?’ is closed to new replies.