Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • What are you using for your single speed cranks/BB?
  • luked2
    Free Member

I've got tight spot woes on my slot-dropout Inbred 🙁

So, I've just measured the cheap-as-chips Alivio spider (on square taper BB). It seems that the tabs are about 0.8mm off-centre, which I think accounts for the problem.

So, time to replace it.

What are people using? Shimano Deore LX's are cheap right now, but it seems a shame to have to throw away all those chainrings…

Or perhaps I can just file out the holes a bit?

julianwilson
    Free Member

I use an older ht2 xt. Its fine.
    If it was me I would bin the alivio, sell or keep the bb for a rainy day, buy the lx, use the ring you already have and sell the new lx rings on classifieds. You'll have only spent about £35 by then!

sohala
    Free Member

yeah, good advice from jw above.

i have race face evlove xc cranks with a surly stainless 32t chainring (from charlie) on my slotted inbred, works a treat 😀

Suggsey
    Free Member

an old HT2 LX crank with middle ring in situ and a brand new LX BB (jeez aint Shimano stuff dear at full RRP).

adeward
    Free Member

i run a set of 1999 xtr 175 cranks with a surly 36 ring,, looking well worn after 10 years of single speeding,,,, it's even on the same bb
    i must be too easy on it

Candodavid
    Free Member

Middleburn RS7 with Uno ring and Royce ti bb

saladdodger
    Free Member

LX ht11 chainset with a surly chainring and a hope BB

used for several years

It works Simple

Smee
    Free Member

Hope ceramic bb with 2008 xt cranks.

Lionheart
    Free Member

WI on one and an Octalink XT 180mm with Middleburn ring on my on one but check this out
    http://www.singletrackworld.com/forum/topic/cupboard-clearance
    buy the cranks and a new uno ring, great set up!

Sum
    Free Member

I used an old HT2 XT (M760) but sheared the axle on the drive side. I suspect tight spots were the cause. I've now reverted back to cheap-as-chips square taper Shimano FCM442 cranks but I also take more care in eliminating those tight spots.

iamtheresurrection

Cheap as chips SS specific Truvativ Stylos. They're 180mm, and after a few pairs of 175s, I reckon 180 is a small difference worth having..,

walla24
    Free Member

hone cranks with hope bb, tabs where too long so angle grinded them down to size 😀
    works perfect

martyntr
    Free Member

Cheap ass FSA road triple cranks on my commuter, with UN53 square taper BB.. works like a peach

luked2
    Free Member

OK, well I've just ordered a new Deore LX HTII. The SLX ones look really nice, but I think would look absurd on a cheap and cheerful steel single speed.

I'll have to save up for a proper BB, as past experience with the HTII BB's hasn't been great.

jamesfifield

Not sure if it is too late, but I'm getting an SLX from CRC.
    Going to sell the rings and find myself a SS specific one.
    If I can offload the rings, then it should cost too much in the end… 😀

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

The topic ‘What are you using for your single speed cranks/BB?’ is closed to new replies.