Viewing 34 posts - 1 through 34 (of 34 total)
  • What are you reading at the moment?
  • hanchurch
    Free Member

I’m coming to the end of Stephen Primrose Smiths “No place like home, thank god”, and am looking for inspiration at to what to read next.

xc-steve
    Free Member

Currently enjoying ‘The Man Who Cycled the Americas’ but only as a break between adoption/parenting books.

Of which ‘Instant Mom’ by Nia Vardalos was actually quite a fun read.

makecoldplayhistory
    Free Member

3rd floor reading

ensuite

downstairs

Guy Martin’s book is absolutely excellent. Best book I’ve read for years.

nbt

onlysteel
    Free Member

Someplace Like America by Dale Maharidge.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Utterly engrossing.

nixie

Stw…

Igmc

munkster
    Free Member

“Wool” by Hugh Howey. I’m about 400 pages in and I still can’t decide if I’m enjoying it or not.

Lionheart
    Free Member

I thought the whole Wool series excellent stick with it if you can.

user-removed
    Free Member

If you can stand a bit of Scots, John Buchan’s ‘Witch Wood is worth leaving by thé bog.

And also, ‘The Loney’ is a recently finished book – so, so good.

SaxonRider

Just finished Julian Barnes’ The Noise of Time. Moved onto Padraig Rooney’s The Gilded Chalet.

I’ve had a good reading summer.

YoKaiser
    Free Member

Just finished Ken Follet’s Century trilogy. Best books I’ve read for a long time, actually had a sense of loss when I finished and I’m not sure what will be good enough to follow them.

I have started a Mountain before Breakfast by Alan Rowan though and its been quite amusing in parts. I should have bought the first one Moonwalker though but I don’t think it matters to much.

kilo

Pretty good read

winston
    Free Member

Not a bad album either…

just finished Karl Marx by Fancis Wheen. Ok as an intro to the man but now I need more substance

perchypanther
    Free Member

footflaps

kjcc25
    Free Member

The Silent Deep: The Royal Navy Submarine Service Since 1945

James Jinks and Peter Hennessy

A very detailed and well written history providing a fascinating insight into how the Royal Navy moved from low tech diesel/electric submarines to nuclear submarines.

choppersquad
    Free Member

‘Good Omens’ by Neil Gaiman and Terry Pratchett……again.
    Love it.

mikey74
    Free Member

“Wool” by Hugh Howey. I’m about 400 pages in and I still can’t decide if I’m enjoying it or not.

I’ve read Wool, and enjoyed it, but it didn’t leave me wanting, or needing, to read the rest of the series.

footflaps

The Silent Deep: The Royal Navy Submarine Service Since 1945

Fantastic book, one of the best I’ve ever read.

The Secret State is also worth a read.

flyingmonkeycorps

Killing Floor, the first Jack Reacher book. Bit of light relief after Occupied City, the second book in David Peace’s Tokyo trilogy. Harrowing, beautiful and in places very hard going.

footflaps

Previous book I read was Wings on my sleeve, great insight into Spitfire pilots in WW II.

CheesybeanZ

The Passage by Justin Cronin .

pedalhead
    Free Member

Just finished this one (the Spielberg adaptation is going to be ace)…

Just started this one…

wysiwyg
    Free Member

flashinthepan
    Free Member

If you enjoyed ‘No Place Like Home, Thank God’ then try:
    ‘One Man and His Bike’ – Mike Smith.

trail_rat
    Free Member

Re reading

mikey74
    Free Member

Dammit! Trail rat: Where were you when I posted my thread asking for adventure/travel book recommendations :mrgreen:

**Notes for next time**

garage-dweller

Re-reading

Dirk Gently’s Holistic Detective Agency for the n+1th time.

It’s been a rough couple of weeks and I love Douglas Adams’ way with words and humour. It always lifts my spirits a bit so indulge that out.

I think I may fancy something like a Wallander book next or another pop at the ancient charity shop copy of A Bridge Too Far (history not novel) which is languishing on a book case half read at the moment.

righog
    Free Member

Best books I’ve read for a long time, actually had a sense of loss when I finished and I’m not sure what will be good enough to follow them.

I felt the same when I came to the end of the Cicero Trilogy by Robert Harris

https://www.penguin.co.uk/books/1113942/the-cicero-trilogy/

So much so that I have not picked up a book in a few months 🙁

I have been over the last couple of years reading a lot about Romans both novels and academic books. Harris’s Trilogy brings the subject so much more to life than any academic books can. ( as an aside the box set ROME was also excellent at this )

swanny853

Having somehow never read them I have been charging through the Discworld books since July- somewhere in the low 20s and making myself slow down so they last longer!

trail_rat
    Free Member

Mikey74

See also ghost trails by Jill homer. Really like her style of writing it comes across obvious that she’s a trained writer (journalist) who wrote a book about cycling and not a cyclist crashing their way through writing a book.

YoKaiser
    Free Member

I felt the same when I came to the end of the Cicero Trilogy by Robert Harris

Very much enjoyed these too, and pretty much all of Harris’s other stuff.

tallmart10

Barbarian Days by William Finnegan.
    Best surfing book I have read. No, actually, the only good surfing book I have read.

Viewing 34 posts - 1 through 34 (of 34 total)

The topic ‘What are you reading at the moment?’ is closed to new replies.