• This topic has 102 replies, 68 voices, and was last updated 7 years ago by DezB.
Viewing 23 posts - 81 through 103 (of 103 total)
  • What are you reading?
  • redthunder
    Free Member

@CFH

Which translation?

The Iliad and Oddysey are both excellent reads, and often overlooked as being too academic or something.

Robert Fagles translation.

To all, worthy read.

Many of the books I read at school seemed to be ruined in my mind by not reading them as a book/story.

The Iliad is a great read so far, epic almost ;-).

War & Peace was also very good. Both of which were no spoilt by school.

Odyssey next.

Redthunder Stallion Breaker 😉

zerolight
    Free Member

Denis99
    Free Member

Only 3 people have joined the Goodreads group including me.

I’m the only one with my reading list and reading history etc.

I suppose it isn’t the good idea I thought it was.

I find myself reading through the thread and adding some of the books that people have read on here.

MrWoppit
    Free Member
    Denis99
    Free Member

Babylon’s Ashes appears to have a good following on here, added it to my list.

Gunz
    Free Member

Just finished HMS ULYSSES by Alistair MacLean, as serving RN his descriptions of the privations caused by relentless rough seas were rather on the money, although of course his characters suffered more than I hope I ever will.
    Now reading The Sellout by Paul Beatty, dense, funny and acutely well observed.

johnners
    Free Member

Babylon’s Ashes appears to have a good following on here, added it to my list.

Looks like it’s book 6 in a series.

johnners
    Free Member

Just finished HMS ULYSSES by Alistair MacLean

It’s definitely one of his better books but “The Cruel Sea” does cold wet and frightened even better IMO. Spoiler – I liked that they didn’t sink a U-Boat every other page. Must revisit my copy soon, if I can find it.

Snorkers – good-oh!

Mackem

The Odyssey was all a bit too “Oh woe is me” for my liking. The Illiad was great though.

hairyscary

beej – Member
    I enjoyed the Hunger Games books

I’m tempted to read these just to see if Katniss Everdeen’s character is as pathetic as it is portrayed in the movies. I watched three of the films and I’m now rooting for the Capital.

redthunder
    Free Member

I’m tempted to read these just to see if Katniss Everdeen’s character is as pathetic as it is portrayed in the movies. I watched three of the films and I’m now rooting for the Capital. “

Don’t bother…Catpiss is pathetic in the book/s as well.

hairyscary

Cheers. I did wonder if it was a poor screenplay, direction or acting.

boltonjon

Ghost Written by David Mitchell was quality – read it over Xmas

About a dozen different stories weaved into one – thought it was going to be very confusing and overly ambitious but i was mighty impressed

From a comedy point of view nothing beats John Niven

The Second Coming is a wonderful story of God, who loves high quality MDMA, sending Jesus back to earth to put things right – their meeting with Lucifer is one of the best passages i’ve ever read.

Kill Your Friends is a crazy and very dark take on the music industry in the mid-90s – absolute genius – if you liked American Psycho, then you’ll love this

Nipper99
    Free Member

HMRC IHTM25292 – Contracts for sale: Shareholdings and partnership interests.

maxtorque

Found this:

in some old books, rereading it, and it’s so funny! All the chuckling around bed time must be making our neighbors suspicious…….

iancity1
    Free Member

Just re-reading The Feather men by Sir Ranulph Fiennes, fascinating true (if you believe it) story of SAS buddies helping each other and some mysterious deaths made to look like accidents, all connected to a paid hitman.
    Thats actually a rubbish synopsis, check out Amazon for reviews etc

Cracking read if you get the chance

seosamh77
    Free Member

twiglet_monster – Member
    bees

wasn’t expecting much from this but was really impressed. Highly original.
    looks like I’m now reading this! 😆

ulysse
    Free Member

Another one working their way through SA Corey Expanse series here, started on Leviathan, natch, then skipped to a novella on Fred Johnson, the butcher of Anderson Station, and now about a 1/4 through Callibans War…

ulysse
    Free Member

iancity1 – Member
    Just re-reading The Feather men by Sir Ranulph Fiennes,

Filmed under the name “The Killer Elite” I believe, also very good

funkmasterp

Babylon’s Ashes by James SA Corey. The expanse stuff is brill.

I’m waiting for book six to come down in price. It’s a great series. Richard Morgan’s Takeshi Kovacs trilogy is worth reading if you like the expanse.

I’ve just finished reading Don Winslow’s The Power of the Dog for the second time. Great book

Denis99
    Free Member

Just finished No Beast So Fierce by Edward Bunker.

Excellent story based on the experiences of a real prisoner who had served quite a bit of time in the notorious USA prisons.

Well worth a read if you like crime related stories, based on the difficulties faced by prisoners trying to go straight in society.

DezB
    Free Member

I read that and The Animal Factory a few years back. Looks like he has written a few more since then – “Stark” could be worth a read. Bunker was the guy organising the heist in Reservoir Dogs, you know.

DezB
    Free Member

[edit]Actually, according to Amazon, ‘Stark’ was his first book and only discovered after he died..

Viewing 23 posts - 81 through 103 (of 103 total)

The topic ‘What are you reading?’ is closed to new replies.