• This topic has 102 replies, 68 voices, and was last updated 7 years ago by DezB.
Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 103 total)
  • What are you reading?
  • SaxonRider

I don’t want to reveal what I’m reading, as it’s so deep, it would be beyond you all, and make me seem pretentious.

@frankconway: what do you think of The Brothers Karamazov?

bigblackshed

I’ve been re-reading Terry Pratchett Discworld. Taking a break ATM and trying something different. Fatherland by Robert Harris. Enjoying it.

brian1001
    Free Member

Must be weird but I’m reading ‘Ask your father’ by Emma Cook, it prepares you for all the embarrassing questions kids have like ‘what were the noises coming from your room last night’…

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    makecoldplayhistory
    Free Member

The newest ST mag.

My 4 year old (who likes to interrupt me whilst I’m on the throne) recently said, “Daddy, all your stories have bikes on the front of them. Did you know Mammy’s stories don’t have any pictures at all!”

scruff9252

I really like these threads – my Amazon wish list always grows on the back of these!

I’ve got a couple on the go at the moment;

The unlikely voyage of Jack de Crow – a tale about an unlikely English and drama teacher who sets off quite unintentionally and ends up rowing a mirror dinghy from Shropshire to the black sea. His writing is full of quirky observational description and wry humour.

Also just stated “As I walked out one midsummers morning” by Laurie Lee. A take of a chap who walks to / accoss Spain in the 1930’s during the great depression and a description of the folk he meets along the way.

boltonjon

Just finished Fight Club last night – hadn’t read it for 15 years

Incredible book

stewartc
    Free Member

What’s Fight Club?

perchypanther
    Free Member

sadexpunk

was it the first time you’ve read Zen and the Art…? What did you think? I first read it when I was 18 and it really profoundly effected the way I thought about things. I go back to it periodically and read it again. Changed my life.

Just read through the thread and noticed reference to “Zen And The Art of…..”
    I first read it 25 odd years ago and didn’t understand it but it tweaked something in my subconscious mind that would carry through to my daily interactions with the outside world so every so often i would pick it up and read it again…..and again. I dunno if i fully understand everything he talks about or the subtle meaning of every word or phrase but I’ll get there…eventually…… and i’ll never tire of reading it.

also read it around 20 years ago and thought what a load of tosh, like you, i didnt understand it.
    i maybe just wasnt ready for books like that, i ought to give it another go.

mogrim

The Railways: Nation, Network and People, excellent history of British trains/stations/etc. Lots of fascinating bits of history, and well written:

Also re-reading The Player of Games and some Pratchett stuff.

Coyote
    Free Member

Ready Player One by Ernest Cline

hairyscary

The secret history by Donna Tartt, although I’ve all but given up on it as I just can’t stand any of the characters. I guess this is the intention of the author, but I just can’t get past it.

MTB-Idle
    Free Member

Chickenhawk is great. You really don’t see the ending coming.

at the moment I’m reading this

and this

mefty
    Free Member

All my reservations at the library turned up at the same time so:

William Waldegrave’s political memoir, A Different Kind of Weather
    Tim Shipman’s highly rated first cut of the history of Brexit, All Out War
    Svetlana Alexievich’s story of post Soviet Russia, Second-Hand Time

If you like Fatherland, Robert Harris’s Cicero Trilogy is very good – not a fan of his work set in the present, The Ghost is mediocre and the The Fear Index is tripe.

boltonjon

What’s Fight Club?

First rule of Fight Club is that you do not talk about Fight Club….

Chuck Palahniuk’s first book – incredibly dark & twisted and very fitting with the randomness of Brexit & Trump over the last 12 months

Also a very good film – but as with most film adaptations – the book is far better

DezB
    Free Member

Chuck Palahniuk – I’ve read everything by him I can get my hands on. He’s fantastic.

footflaps

Which translation?

We had to read the original in ancient Greek at school….

mogrim

Ready Player One by Ernest Cline

Forgot I also have this one on the go.

trailofdestruction
    Free Member

binners

hairyscary – Member

The secret history by Donna Tartt, although I’ve all but given up on it as I just can’t stand any of the characters. I guess this is the intention of the author, but I just can’t get past it.

I started that years ago, and gave up on it as its just a load of whining, self-pitying, boo hoo, poor me, bleating!

There must be loads of people on here who’d absolutely love it! 😀

johnners
    Free Member

kimbers – Member
    The City and City

China Mieville

Me too, I’m finding it well-written but rather slow going. I’m about 40% through.

And Cairngorm John, I saw it recommended on here so much I thought I’d give it a go, got the hardback in great nick for 1p from Amazon. So £2.81 really. Enjoying it so far.

mefty
    Free Member

We had to read the original in ancient Greek at school….

Quite right too, it is very difficult to do justice to the essential poetic qualities of Homer in translation.

DezB
    Free Member

The secret history by Donna Tartt

That was recommended to me years ago (did it win some award?) – I bought and read some or all of it, but cannot remember a single thing about it. Or whether I actually finished it.

beej

Just finished Ready Player One, a fun entertaining read, though a little lightweight. Still, I enjoyed the Hunger Games books too so maybe I should find some more “young adult” stories.

Actually, no, that was the book before. Just finished Flash Boys, about high frequency trading on the US exchanges.

Seveneves is going to get started in the next 2 minutes.

binners

Ready Player One is brilliant! Read it on holiday and thoroughly enjoyed it.

Presently being made into a movie by Speilburg with a mahoosive budget, which should be worth a look.

701arvn
    Free Member

The Last Temptation (of Christ)

despite not having any affiliation with Christianity, I’m finding this a lot more interesting than I thought I would, Nikos draws the line between Christ as man and divine in a very different place from the bible.

Basically Jesus as philosopher has the decency to show his commitment to said philosophy by dying for it.

I may not have sold this one as well as I could.

Mackem

iOS Apps for Masterminds.

It’s rather predictable

Richie_B

Feet in the Clouds was about the only sporting book I’ve ever read that conveys the passion and need to do the sport.

Recently re-read ‘Life & Fate’ by Vasily Grossman its a bit of a marathon but well worth it.

zanelad
    Free Member

I feel very low rent. Just finishing Girl on a Train and then I will start on The Springsteen autobiography.

Also re reading the Godfather by Mario Puzo. Not read it for a very long time.

Haze

Into Thin Air

twiglet_monster
    Free Member

wasn’t expecting much from this but was really impressed. Highly original.

I still miss the Night Circus. One for the dreamers.

TM

boltonjon

The Bees is a quality book – really clever!

twiglet_monster
    Free Member

The Bees is a quality book – really clever!

Indeed. I started it expecting some overly poetic hippy nonsense but its so well written that you slowly get immersed.

TM

Solo
    Free Member

Currently reading “Shadows on the road”.

After recently finishing” Watching the wheels”. Damon Hill’s autobiography.

After SotR, I may go read “Catcher in the Rye”.

DezB
    Free Member

I feel very low rent. Just finishing Girl on a Train…

Sometimes “best sellers” are worth a read. Unfortunately that one isn’t. (I’ve read it.)

Xylene
    Free Member

The Education Debate

Xylene
    Free Member

The Education Debate

blanklook

Interesting psychological thriller

mrblobby
    Free Member

Not quite what I expected but good background and some debunking.

dave661350

Tortillas to Totems.
    Travel book by a guy called Sam Manicom about his travels North from Mexico into the USA and Canada in the late 90s. Met him a few times, really nice unassuming guy and a nice writing style

Home

Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 103 total)

The topic ‘What are you reading?’ is closed to new replies.