• This topic has 48 replies, 34 voices, and was last updated 13 years ago by br.
Viewing 9 posts - 41 through 49 (of 49 total)
  • What are the running costs of a car.
  • IA

My previous cheapy commuter decathlon road bike that i used every day for a few years worked out about 7p a mile IIRC.

dmiller
    Free Member

And here lies the lunacy of commuting by car. There are lots of people in this sort of situation. Add to the cost the time of commuting – see how much that brings your hourly rate down.

Its a crazy mixed up world where this is a lifestyle choice.

Yeah, I cycled to work for 5 years (10 miles each way) and really miss it after changing job, however I dont miss the stress of my old job at all!

I work in IT – there isnt much work about and I badly needed to leave my last job before the stress was too much and I had some sort of break down or lost my wife.

I had to take a job thats 30 miles away from my house, but its a very good job. OK pay, superb people to work with (both the guys in IT and the end users) and the job is interesting and stress free. For that I can compromise and spend some more time in the car.

I dont think I have been happier for a long time. If ever. But I do spend a lot of time in the car!

DrP

I commute daily by bike.
    Cost me £400 initial outlay in 2008 (for a perfectly functioning, working bike, so will ignore the pointless extras I’ve spent on it).
    £57 for 2 new pairs of tyres (road and CX for this snow!).
    In true repair/running costs, I reckon about £30 a year (oil, grease, pads). Yet to have a big drivechain replace.

However, the parking at work costs £35 per month, so after about 15 months the bike is quids in.

Don’t know what that is PPM (4 miles each way minimum), but must be heading towards the zero point (given parking is £35 a month and would HAVE to be included in alternative vehicles)

DrP

earl_brutus

Car cost 9000 will keep 5 years and assume worth 1k on resale so 8k depreciation or £1600 year
    20k mile a year at 10p a mile £2000 year fuel ( jeez thats depressing)
    mot £100 year
    service and tyres £300 year
    Insurance £350 year
    so 4300 year 23p/mile
    of which my work car allowance covers, but only just….

i also have a land rover but dont even want to think about costs for that

aracer
    Free Member

£0.09p / mile depreciation (unless you buy French then its way more)

My big French car cost me £10k s/h – currently done 122k miles in it, so depreciation is ~8p a mile and decreasing all the time (I’m assuming £0 resale value).
    12p a mile for fuel, insurance 1.5p a mile, tax 1.7p a mile, servicing and tyres 3p a mile, for a total of 26p a mile unless I’ve missed anything. Marginal cost 14p a mile.

andrewh
    Free Member

My first car
    Cost £200
    MOT £35
    New tyre £40
    Tax £185
    Fuel at 10p/mile £1,200
    Died 12k/8months miles later, got £60 scrap for it, plus tax refund.
    Insurance £620 (I was 23 with no NCD, 3 points and a 1.6 litre engine)

Total cost = 18p/mile, but a third of that is insurance.

Not worked out current car, 28mpg not good!

New running shoes £50, shop keeper siad they’re good for 500 miles = 10p/mile for running!

ivantate
    Free Member

looking at the missus car, 2005 diesel panda. bought for 4k in 2007 and looking at the cheapest on autotrader its still worth 3250.
    35k miles at 62mpg.
    3 mots at 40.
    3 services at 30 for parts.
    Discs and pads at 92.
    4 tyres at 52 each.
    3 tax at 35
    3 insurance at 200

so 13.6p a mile. this is about as cheap as running a car can get although i have used genuine fiat parts and continental tyres so a bit could have been saved there.

The other cars and motorbikes cost far more and i dont want to think about it!

mogrim

And here lies the lunacy of commuting by car. There are lots of people in this sort of situation. Add to the cost the time of commuting – see how much that brings your hourly rate down.

I was wondering when TJ was going to show up 🙂

It’s only lunacy when you get a second car purely for commuting – most of us have a car anyway, if you use it for commuting too it’s actually making the most of your investment. Given you’ll be spending time getting to work whatever means of transport you choose (ignoring working from home) adding the time as a cost seems a little unfair.

br
    Free Member

Somehow, I’m not surprised by the fact that the most expensive vehicle by far is the motorbike.

Presumably only because he didn’t use it much, or wrote it off on the third ride or something

No, it was a divorce present to myself (Monster) – replaced with a proper bike after 6 months.

Viewing 9 posts - 41 through 49 (of 49 total)

The topic ‘What are the running costs of a car.’ is closed to new replies.