Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 43 total)
  • What are the roads like in New Zealand?
  • richmtb

Hey folks

I know there are a few antipodean types who post on here.

Off to NZ for 3 weeks on Thursday and we’ll be doing a bit of driving. on the North and South island.

What are the roads like? I’m imagining its similar to driving in the Highlands (albeit with nothing to base that on other than relative population densities)

Thanks

Rich

iainc

mental image of crazy mad in Leon ripping up the locals 😆

cp

lots of graded gravel in various states of disrepair/roughness!

main roads between cities are big and wide for the relative populations..

ransos
    Free Member

What are the roads like? I’m imagining its similar to driving in the Highlands (albeit with nothing to base that on other than relative population densities)

South Island is like that. It also has a fair number of glacial-speed campervans with a queue of very impatient locals behind. North island is busier – there are few motorways so even with the low population, there’s still a fair amount of traffic on the main road north/ south from Auckland. Do look up the right turn priority rule, or you will cause an accident.

woody2000

i think I remember the roads on the South Island being slightly worse than the North, particularly in the south & west. Mostly just like the roads here though in the main. Don’t expect to get anywhere fast though 🙂

rwc03
    Free Member

Pretty good, not many dual carriageways (if any in the South) but the roads are generally quiet. There are a few roads in the South which require a bit more attention when driving but they all have run-offs. The South island is much more interesting to drive around than the North in my opinion, but like Scotland it does rain a lot. Auckland I found pretty dull at the time, but we didn’t have much money left as we’d spent it all on skydiving etc.

bristolbiker
    Free Member

My take on driving there a few years ago:

– Anything beyond single carriageway is a very rare thing, beyond approaches to major centres.
    – It takes time to get anywhere because it’s all single carriageway. Just accept this. The speed indicators on the bends are a fair reflection of what is safe – stick to them. Road surfaces are generally fine.
    – The truck drivers out in the sticks are mental.
    – The gravel roads are generally fine, just don’t treat it as a rally stage.
    – There are a few odd road traffic laws and customs that’ll you’ll quickly pick up or cause an accident/pick up a ticket from.
    – Do not speed. The cops carry mobile speed guns in the cars and they are mandated to stop you. I know this, because I got a ticket. Nicest telling off I’ve had anywhere in the world mind, and the guy not only recommended a great local place for brekky that morning, but remembered us/happilly chatted when we saw him a week later a petrol station 200 k’s away.

ir_bandito
    Free Member

Do look up the right turn priority rule, or you will cause an accident.

And remember to forget it when you get back home….

Oh, they don’t “do” roundabouts very well, no-one seems to understand how to work out that even though there’s traffic, it is possbile to go.

Single-lane bridges, especially down south, are fun. Some of them are very long, and its usually first come first across, and whoever is bigger wins!

At least they drive on the correct side. Most of the time….

bristolbiker
    Free Member

Single-lane bridges, especially down south, are fun. Some of them are very long, and its usually first come first across, and whoever is bigger wins

Defo this – esp the one going south coming out of Greymouth where (IIRC) the bridge for the single carriageway road is shared with a main railway line, but you do get a few passing places and a good view in each direction……

ransos
    Free Member

Defo this – esp the one going south coming out of Greymouth where (IIRC) the bridge for the single carriageway road is shared with a main railway line, but you do get a few passing places and a good view in each direction……

+1. IIRC, you cross the railway a few times at ungated/ controlled crossings. I realised I should’ve looked out for a train just after I went over the line…

ChunkyMTB
    Free Member

Roads are fine. It’s the drivers you need to look out for – some of the worst I’ve ever encountered.

I was a field engineer for over a year there and drove around both islands. Certainly had a few near misses…

richmtb

mental image of crazy mad in Leon ripping up the locals

😀

No it will be hire car all the way!

Do look up the right turn priority rule, or you will cause an accident.

Bit weird that one. Basically treat every uncontrolled junction as a roundabout?

ir_bandito
    Free Member

Basically treat every uncontrolled junction as a roundabout

Only if you’re turning right. Or if oncoming traffic is.

markyfm
    Free Member

Do the earthquakes affect the roads at all in NZ ?

thepurist

If you’re hiring a car, check the list of roads you’re not insured to drive on. Then go look for em on the map 😀

As above, double your normal estimate the time it’d take to get anywhere and stick to the speed limits.

strackbaz
    Free Member

Did both islands two years back, small borrowed car in the North, LWB Transit Campervan in the South. The roads are fine, and units are KPH. The only motorway I remember was travelling through Auckland.

The main roads are labelled SW (state highway). Mainly single carriageways that open up to dual at certain sections to allow for overtaking. One hugely annoying thing was that folk drive along at 50mph, then along comes an overtaking section and it’s like a license to speed. I struggled to overtake in my aunts 1 litre Sirion, although my aunt received an $80 fine for a speeding ticket after I got home, luckily they didn’t endorse her license. It’s a lot like driving the A9 to Aviemore from Perth.

The South island is a lot more hilly and the roads more twisty, but following the same routine as the north. Overtaking in a 2.5 TD Transit is a lot easier than the “heat pump” I had in the north (my kiwi cousins term for the Sirion). I did get pulled for running a stop sign in the middle Greymouth on Boxing Day. No traffic, rolled through at walking pace and the cop told me “Stop means Stop!” Luckily, no fine, but that’s another story.

You’ll love it, the drive down the west coast of the South Island is tipped as one of the best drives in the world. Good mountain biking near Hokitika.

ransos
    Free Member

Do the earthquakes affect the roads at all in NZ ?

Landslides are pretty common.

Pigface
    Free Member

They are changing some of the priority rules soon, expect total carnage but dont worry she’ll be right eh 😆

strackbaz
    Free Member

Whilst on a coach trip to Milford Sound from Queenstown, the guide was telling us that avalanches are common, not only from snow, but trees.

loum
    Free Member

The roads can be pretty empty, particullarly South Island.
    Keep you petrol tank topped up when you can , it can be a lot further between petrol stations than you think. Was over there September 🙂 and we had to coast on vapours downhill for pretty much 20km when we crossed their Alps (wife was driving that day).

lunge

One think that I noticed is that when a max speed for a corner says “50” is really does mean it, go at 60 and you’ll go off.

timmys

I found driving in NZ to be really easy/relaxing, I drove over 2500 miles in a month and loved it all. Even though nearly everything is single-carriage ways the roads are quiet and there are lots of overtaking lanes. The overtaking lanes are well signed so you can be ready for them if you are stuck behind someone.

NWAlpsJeyerakaBoz
    Free Member

+ 1 for sh*te drivers and speeding.

I can remember on a couple of occasions when in the middle of no-where, hadnt seen another car for miles, and there was a Police speed check at the end of a long straight road. Copper waved at us as we went passed mind, probably as we kept under 100km per hour.

Not worth speeding anyway as generally the scenery is so stunning its worth having a look at.

Its also a lot easier to cover long journeys without feeling too tired afterwards. Even though as already said most of the roads are single carriage way, the lack of other drivers and not having to concentrate at high speed like on a UK motorway makes driving easier, just watch out for the odd idiot.

aracer
    Free Member

If you’re hiring a car, check the list of roads you’re not insured to drive on. Then go look for em on the map

Then go and find some even wilder roads which aren’t on the exclusion list (I suppose things might have changed in the last 20 years, but back then it was only the popular wild roads which were excluded – we had a 4×4 and felt we had to test it out).

ahwiles
    Free Member

Keep you petrol tank topped up when you can , it can be a lot further between petrol stations than you think. Was over there September and we had to coast on vapours downhill for pretty much 20km when we crossed their Alps (wife was driving that day).

don’t drive past a fuel-station with half a tank thinking ‘we’ll get the next one’…

(you’ll probably be ok, but you’ll be very pleased to see ‘the next one’)

some of the roads are brilliant, the lindis pass is beautiful.

hofnar
    Free Member

Get a rear wheel drive for the gravel roads most corners are nicely cu in on the inside. My campervan cornered faster on gravel then on tar as the cut in inmproves balance and countersteer slides great fun.

Agree on the crazy truck drivers down south mind that they probably know the road by heart just scary when they fly past. Ad at least 50 to your time expectations single lanes and lots of corners make you loose time.

On the coner speed menionings my moterbike buddy said ad ten and they pretend its MPH its possible on a bike though very scary as the passenger.

But as above take your time amazing scenery and lovely MTB spots get the kennett brothers bible

ir_bandito
    Free Member

the lindis pass is beautiful

and fast on a mountain bike with 40kg of luggage strapped to it 🙂

2orangey4crows

I’m over in NZ cycle touring at the moment. As far as I can tell, the secrets to driving over here are to pass as close as you can and as fast as you can to any cyclist.

By the way, the turn right rule changes soon, the Kiwi’s finally working out how ridiculous it is.

prezet
    Free Member

– The truck drivers out in the sticks are mental.

Bloody right they are, but then so are some of the locals! Say one guy spin off and nearly go off the side of a mountain!

– The gravel roads are generally fine, just don’t treat it as a rally stage.

Ah, that’s the best bit – no one is around, use to love drifting our old Honda around some of the quiet gravel roads.

– Do not speed. The cops carry mobile speed guns in the cars and they are mandated to stop you. I know this, because I got a ticket. Nicest telling off I’ve had anywhere in the world mind, and the guy not only recommended a great local place for brekky that morning, but remembered us/happilly chatted when we saw him a week later a petrol station 200 k’s away.

Yep – I got busted too. Apparently I was in a built up area that consisted of about 4 houses!! But the guy was real nice, and just paid the fine in the post office. I tried the old ‘I not from around here’ excuse, but I reckon they hear it loads and it didn’t wash.

rocky-mountain
    Free Member

noisy due to higher ‘grain’ of tarmac, big cambers to shoot off rain, lots of uphill and downhill twisty turny stuff. steam rises when its just rained. great drains with nets in them. ring tightening corners with steep drop off, brilliant sunshine and four seasons in one day; thats just the roads

you will see very few drivers, you will wave at anyone south of picton in relief that someone else is out there.

in auckland, anymore than 6 drivers queing will be reported on the news as a major traffic hazard.
    watch out for traffic cops early in the morning checking for milfs on the sav blanc already.

finally chinese drivers…… only when you get there will you understand this

zokes
    Free Member

finally chinese drivers…… only when you get there will you understand this

THIS!!!! (and it also applied to Tasmania too – why the hell do they not take a coach???)

NZCol

Just to put a few things in perspective
    1) The mental give way rule is changing to how the rest of the world does it on 27th march 2012. At that point it reverts to how it works in the UK. For you though if you are turning Left you must give way to turning traffic from the right, complicated by straight through traffic obvioulsy having complete right of way. Did i mention it being a bit messy ? basically if you are turning L and someone is turning right and someone behind you is going straight on you should be sweet.
    2) On rural roads (100kmh limit) if you are turning right DO NOT sit in the middle of the road, indicate R and pull off to the left. I had to intervene in a bad smash on Sat caused by exactly this.
    3) Roads are mainly the size shape and mix of a UK B Road in terms of bends etc and an A road construction. As said, very little motorway and dual carriageway except around main cities.
    4) Earthquake damage in the ChCh is very localised , passing through the North on SH1 you would barely know (except for the wonky Grand Chancellor hotel on the skyline)
    5) The driving standard is variable, beware tailgaters and generally sh1te driving. Be awake.
    6) Assume your average speed between places will be about 80kmh and you’ll be pretty accurate. Observe the speed limits and watch for stock on the roads (S Island mainly) and crazy locals.
    7) Single lane bridges have a give way sign at each end, if not it is alternates after first to arrive. Watch for trains on unbarriered crossings the buggers can sneak up on you.
    8) Keep your tank topped where you get a chance.
    9) Have fun, it’s awesome. If you are Wgtn drop me a line.

toys19
    Free Member

4 million odd people.
    1.3 mill of those in auckland, and only a million in the south island.
    About the same size as the uk.

I found it deserted…

bigrich

there are no roads, they ride sheep on rough tracks to the pub, swigging Speights and munching pies.

mrmo
    Free Member

I am currently in Auckland and looking to hire a car/van for a couple of weeks, i have to be in the Auckland area this week.

Can someone explain this turn rule in very simple words,

If i am driving down a road, i have right of way.
    If someone approaches and wishes to turn across in front of me, i still have right of way? But if i am taking the same turning as them, i have to cede the junction to them, and follow them round the corner?

krag
    Free Member

> Can someone explain this turn rule in very simple words,

If you’re driving down the road, going straight it’s your right of way.

Say you want to turn right down a sidesreet.

– You still have give way to traffic coming towards you
    – If a car coming towards you want’s to turn down the same side street as you do (ie he’s turning left, you’re turning right) it’s YOUR right of way.

Just be careful where the car wanting to turn left moves over to the left for you to take your turn but cars behind him “overtake” as they’re going straight on.

Hope that helps 🙂
    (I live in Wellington and I’m pretty much used to it now, it’s going to take a while to get used to going back to the old method next month!)

mrmo
    Free Member

Thanks Crag, i think that makes sense.

mrh86

Roads were OK when I was there.
    I was working on the intensive care unit in Auckland and there were a fair few serious RTAs that came in.
    Remembered talking to some of the docs there and they admitted that the roads were generally quite shoddy. Poor surface etc so when it rains just really slippy.

Couple that with the fact that one doesn’t require to have car insurance by law in order to drive a car.

Know this is a few years out of date, but it highlights the road situation a bit: LINK

Ignoring the above though….

I found it to be fine. Admittedly, I only drove on the north island though. Outside auckland the roads were like single lane A roads/wide B roads, with hardly any traffic on them.

prezet
    Free Member

swigging Speights and munching pies.

Mmmm pies – damn I miss those pies almost every corner shop and garage sells for a couple of bucks.

NZCol

Turning rule is basically that if you are turning left into a side road you must give way to traffic turning towards you into the road too. Straight on has overall priority of course so only applies when two vehicles wanting to turn.

And to reiterate – earthquake damage is really in a 10km diameter in ChCh. Landslips aren’t really caused by shakes, more due to heavy rain.

These posts make it sound awful, which in reality it isn’t.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 43 total)

The topic ‘What are the roads like in New Zealand?’ is closed to new replies.