Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • what are the Mendips like at the minute?
  • aleonardwilliams
    Free Member

afternoon. off to see a mate in Bath this weekend and we were thinking of heading over to Mendip for ride. I’ve read in past that’s a bit of a nightmare when it’s been wet (think there’s a STW description somewhere..) . Anyone advise what the current conditions are like there?

Cheers
    A

wrecker
    Free Member

I’m sat about 1.5 miles away and it’s been pissing down all day 🙁
    I’m not even going to bother.

flatfish
    Free Member

I can normally see the Mendips from my window.
    Today, all I see is rain.
    I haven’t ridden there for months due to the mud.

aleonardwilliams
    Free Member

aaahh. roadies it is then….

MrAgreeable

The Bristol trails will be running fine, but I assume you already know about them already?

agentdagnamit
    Free Member

Was up there on sunday, lovely day, but it’s a bog fest on top at the moment. You could put something together avoiding some of it, but dont bother with the trials from the trig point and the DH routes in Rowberrow.

aleonardwilliams
    Free Member

The Bristol trails will be running fine, but I assume you already know about them already?

nope… my mates only recently moved there and i’m based further SW. guessing they might be busy at weekend?

FuzzyWuzzy

Will be busy if the weather’s decent. As for the Mendips, was there on Sunday to and whilst it’s pretty boggy the open areas are all still rideable (I quite enjoyed it), I imagine the technical trails through the woods are a no go area though so depends what sort of riding you were after.

aleonardwilliams
    Free Member

ah nothing massively technical. nice to get out for 3 hours or so for some enjoyable riding/fresh air/nice scenery/pub lunch/chance to catch up kind of thing.

MrAgreeable

Bristol probably won’t be quiet. Unless you head over to 50 Acre Wood!

agentdagnamit
    Free Member

This would avoid mud on the Mendips, and give a choice of pubs and cafes.

Park at Shipham, head north and go straight on up the bridleway climb at the right hand bend in the road. Hit the tarmac, you could turn left and take the road to Tynings Farm. Past the race way and down the rocky road to Cheddar. Climb up through the gorge and up to the masts. Head west towards the trig point (this bit is a little muddy).

Climb to the trig point (which is muddy and rutted, but makes an interesting climb). Trig point down NE and then back towards the A38 direction on Limestone Link. It’s going to start to get muddy again after crossing the second stream. You could drop down towards Burrington then road back to Shipham, or use the fireroads in Rowberrow to get back to Shipham.

Not the most exciting route, but you will avoid the worst of the sludge.

aleonardwilliams
    Free Member

cheers for that, i’ll have nose round the maps and see where you mean.

aleonardwilliams
    Free Member

I think, given the rain this week, we might head out on the roadies…..

elliptic
    Free Member

That’s probably fair. Just driven over the hill to work (near Shepton) through this mornings biblical downpour…it’s a bit wet round here 😯

wwaswas

Whenever I see ‘Mendips’ I always think of the Mendip brothers;

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

The topic ‘what are the Mendips like at the minute?’ is closed to new replies.