Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • What are the mavic equivalent of stans rims.
  • robhughes
    Free Member

New wheel set time and can’t decide whether to stick with mavic Hope hops or switch to stans rims.
    What would you lot say the equivalent rims are.
    Crest=
    Arch EX=
    Flow ex=
    Cheers all.

fasternotfatter
    Free Member

Mavic are stuck in a mid 90’s XC timewarp. Anything they do that is wide enough to take over a 2.1 tyre weighs a ton. Everything else is just too narrow to run a wider tyre at low pressure without the tyre squirming all over the place at every corner. Go wide and light! 23mm internal rim width at least!

aracer
    Free Member

You appear to have already given the equivalent Mavic rims in the OP.

Garry_Lager

Don’t think mavic do a tubeless rim that is particularly appealing – I had years of reliable use on the 819s but switched over to Stans a couple of years back and not looked back.

They do excellent tubeless wheelsets – fully built, expensive factory affairs. But just rim only I’m not sure they offer much, unless they’ve brought a new rim out recently?

shermer75
    Free Member

I agree with G. Lager. After years of being a Mavic stalwart (and to be fair they have never broken on me) I have recently used bought a Crest and it is sooo light, still seems pretty strong, and the (tubeless) tyres inflate ridiculously easily. Won’t be buying another Mavic tbh…

shermer75
    Free Member

But, to answer your question, as a rough idea Crest are for XC (819), Arch for the all round trail stuff (721) and Flow for the tough stuff (823).

mikewsmith
    Free Member

To check you get your stans rim then wrap some tape round it to make it tubeless? Exactly the same with Mavic.

Running XM719’s with 2.3/2.4″ Maxxis tubeless with no issue at all, Runnin EX721’s (a bit heavy but bombproof) the same.

Great strong and tough wheels.

Northwind

819 is sort of like a Crest. Except it’s heavier than a Flow Ex.

ninfan
    Free Member

821’s just been launched after people had been saying it was needed for years

robhughes
    Free Member

What;s the opinion on running stans Arch ex with tubes.
    Don’t really want to go tubeless but would like the weight and strength of there rims..

scotroutes

I run Arch Ex with tubes without any problems.

Northwind

Yeah, no problem running stans with tubes. Wee bit of a waste imo but it’s fine

robhughes
    Free Member

Cheers guys.Might get round to running tubeless but just CBA at the moment.. 😉

scotroutes

If I could afford to have another set of 29er wheels lying around, I’d likely go tubeless on the Arch EX. As it is, I change tyres too often.

Northwind

Yeah, same reason I have tubes in the Flows on the dh bike. Well, that and the fact that the rear one is mullered and doesn’t hold air very well 😛

patriotpro
    Free Member

Stan’s are a PITA to fit the tyre when used with a tube.

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)

The topic ‘What are the mavic equivalent of stans rims.’ is closed to new replies.