Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • what are the Howgills like to ride?
  • sefton
    Free Member

what are the Howgills like to ride?

they look amazing when I drive past on the motorway.

MrSparkle

Tiring, Craig. Very tiring. Hth. 😀
    They are strange hills. Bloody big but very rounded. Almost voluptuous I’d say.

BaronVonP7
    Free Member

The Missus and I did some routes based on what was in this estemed publication.

The easy route from Tebay to Breasthigh road is easy, except for the breasthigh road bit which is a sharp climb and descent – the descent options are either grassy or REALLY rocky – fun but could hurt *alot* if you came off.

The Medium route was not to tech but very enjoyable, too.

When we went noodling around bridleways, over the moors etc, it was decided that if it had been wet then it might be a bit boggy, however it was wall to wall sun and all very pretty.

We based ourselves at tebay so had Growlers, too.

It was further decided we would return to explore a little more.

ElShalimo

Bowderdale Round is a big’un and can be fun if dry.

sefton
    Free Member

I do worry they could be miles of sapping wet grass?

sounds like a big xc ride then? nothing too steep/tech

ElShalimo

Depends which bit you are riding on, the hills themselves are big, steep-sided grassy lumps. There are some great bridleways/tracks up there and some tricky bits too.
    Go on google earth to look at the BWs

burgatedicky

Ridden the Bowderdale loop a couple of times, once in the wet + once in the dry.
    Remember it being a bit grim in the wet, and it’s always windy on top of the Calf. The dale seems to hold onto water, so even in the dry there were patches of real gloop to ride through. The flow of the singletrack is excellent though.
    The Calf itself is a huge lump to climp up from Sedbergh, but once you’re over it the run down the dale beyond it great.
    Bit of roadwork at the head of the dale, then back onto singltrack to get back to Sedbergh again.
    Overall I’d recommend it, good beer in the Dalesman pub too (their seafood platter is pretty tasty too!)

ElShalimo

+1 Dalesman
    😀

sefton
    Free Member

well did them yesterday (around 25miles)! bloody tiring like you said Simon (that first climb/push from Sedbergh to the Calf 8O) another piece of the jigsaw though.

pennine
    Free Member

Big rounded hills but sumptious views
    After the initial descent into Bowderdale the ST does get quite pedally. Legs do feel tired at the end then you realise you’re only halfway round….
    Ridden it a few times but always waited for good conditions. There is also a lite version which drops off The Calf westwards down a long and very steep descent. Fast with aching arms and smoking brakes at the bottom. Just dump bike in river to cool off 😀

Pook

if you go to vimeo.com/chrismaloney there’s a couple of vids that’ll show you.

I love it up there

sefton
    Free Member

heres a few pics (courtesy to the bogtrotters facebook page) 😉

sefton
    Free Member

duftondodd
    Free Member

Local Hills for Local Riders!! There be dragons ! don’t go!!!!!!!

ton

i always loved riding the howgills.
    did a circumnavigation of the whole lot of em about 15 months ago on my leccy bike. even riding round them on th lanes is good fun, and ace views.

DaveyBoyWonder
    Free Member

Only done the ‘classic’ ride as above but its a proper big ride. Pub/shop halfway round in one of the villages was a life saver. Chips and beer…

Wouldn’t want to do it in anything but perfect weather though. We were lucky and had sun and dusty trails…

tomaso
    Free Member

The Calf is a classic and really makes you feel it in your err calves. The sheep do a wonderful job of keeping the Howgills perfectly manicured and it gives them a beautiful stipled verdent look that really picks out the rolling curves. Its a bit like the South Downs on steroids with some proper rocks.

Breasthigh Road is a washed out rock fest and a great blast down but a bit too loose for climbing for all but the most mountain goat like riders.

SimonR

Has to be one of my favourite places to ride in the UK …..

IMG_5119 by Simon_R, on Flickr

IMG_5134 by Simon_R, on Flickr

IMG_5140 by Simon_R, on Flickr

IMG_5165 by Simon_R, on Flickr

IMG_5170 by Simon_R, on Flickr

IMG_5172 by Simon_R, on Flickr

… and importantly

IMG_5108 by Simon_R, on Flickr

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)

The topic ‘what are the Howgills like to ride?’ is closed to new replies.