• This topic has 45 replies, 33 voices, and was last updated 12 years ago by sb.
Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 46 total)
  • What are the flat pedals of choice atm?
  • si-wilson
    Free Member

Going to have a go back on flatties, so, which pedals to buy? would rather not spend £100+, so your thoughts please.

wwaswas

DMR Vaults seem popular but I’ve not tried them.

chakaping
    Free Member

Superstar Nano Techs or the alternative versions from HT/Carbon Cycles.

£30-£40, 450g-ish per pair, thin, wide, reliable.

wors

Superstar Nano Techs

+1

sadmadalan

+1 for the Superstar

neninja
    Free Member

Liked my MG1’s but the bushings didn’t last long.

Running some Twenty6 Prerunner I got on Ebay new for about £90 – light, thin, excellent grip and very pimp looking. After a years use they need a proper service and the US manufacturer is going to strip them, fit new bearings, seals, bushes replace anything that is worn and post them back to me for about £30.

rewski
    Free Member

I’m still on DMR V12’s and Easton Flatboys. Will probably get Vaults next, would love Podiums but can’t face the cost.

metalheart
    Free Member

Easton Flatboys.

stevede
    Free Member

Point one podiums are my pedals of choice but for most bang for your buck i’d recommend nanos without hesitation, had 2 sets on the go for a few years still on the original bearings with no play, low profile and plenty grippy enough with either my shimano am40’s or 5.10 freeriders. Not much between them and my Podiums to be honest, podiums are just even lower profile but definately not £100 better.
    If you do go for superstar nanos be aware that the anodising doesn’t last that long on the coloured ones, i paid an extra fiver for the chrome finish on my last set which has kept them looking nicer for much longer.

JefWachowchow
    Free Member

Another +1 for the Superstar Nano’s

chakaping
    Free Member

Wrecker’s link is to the ones I just got. Seem identical to SSC Nanos.

If you do go for superstar nanos be aware that the anodising doesn’t last that long on the coloured ones

Although it doesn’t look as bad when it does fade as the white ones do when the paint all chips off.

Black for me now though.

wilde86
    Free Member

i run sunline V1’s – theyre pretty good to be honest.

grippy and have lasted a while! no grumbles 🙂

honourablegeorge

stevede – Member

If you do go for superstar nanos be aware that the anodising doesn’t last that long on the coloured ones, i paid an extra fiver for the chrome finish on my last set which has kept them looking nicer for much longer.

However short lived the anodising is, compared to the white paint, it lastst forever…. don’t get the white ones.

I have the Vaults, prefer them to the superstars – lighter, bigger, grippier – with the CRC sale and a voucher they were only slightly more than Nanos when I bought them – debatable if they’re worth twice the price though.

The tart in me desperately wanted the Point Ones for Xmas. No luck though.

crashtestmonkey
    Free Member

superstar nano/carbon cycles/HT industries/nukeproof/Kona wah wah. Same pedal different label, paintjob and price.

I have the wah wahs on one bike. Actually prefer Easton Flatboys but they are twice the price and close to twice the weight, which is an issue for some.

juiced
    Free Member

v8, v12.

Northwind

Nanos are a good safe bet- not the best, not the lightest, not the strongest but good at the price and with no real vices.

If you’re thinking of a V12, don’t, Wellgo’s MG1 is better in every way, and cheaper. I like ’em but they’re a fair bit thicker than the Nanos and the cage isn’t massively strong.

fenlanddavid
    Free Member

Vaults, super grippy 🙂

geetee1972
    Free Member

I absolutely demolished a pair of Poduim Point Ones while in Verbier. They had been fine up to that point, but a few rock pedal interfaces and the bearings (there are three eeensy teensy ones at the end of the axle and one mutha hucka at the crank end)ended up turning to dust. And I’m really not exagerating there. I had to look up the tech documents before I believed there had ever been bearings in there rather than bushings.

I’ve also had the NukeProof Protons which are identical to the Superstar Maglites (while the Nukeproof Electrons are the same pedal as the Superstar Nanotechs). All these pedals share the same pin insert design. It’s quite good, but not perfect. The pins are quite thin and can easily rip out of the pedal body if you clout a rock. If this happens, you’ll strip the thread and won’t be able to replace them (and you can’t buy replacement cages).

THE best pedal I’ve ever ridden in terms of grip, durability, serviceability, and condidence inspiring design, are the Burgtecs, but you do pay for all that.

seosamh77
    Free Member

might sound like a daft question, but are lighter peddles more efficient?

geetee1972
    Free Member

Can’t say I’ve ever noticed the rotating weight effect, but given that pedals can weigh anything from 280g to 750g, you will definitely notice them if they add a pound to your bike.

juiced
    Free Member

i’d look at dmr vaults or superstars if i was buying, or i’d just get a pair of suitable wellgos.

seosamh77
    Free Member

geetee1972 – Member
    Can’t say I’ve ever noticed the rotating weight effect, but given that pedals can weigh anything from 280g to 750g, you will definitely notice them if they add a pound to your bike.

aye suppose you might. what the weight on a pair of v8’s, anyone know?

vondally
    Free Member

easton cullys

honourablegeorge

528 for the V8s

honourablegeorge

Aren’t Cullys and Flatboys the same heavy-as-hell pedal?

vondally
    Free Member

no cullysare lighter,gripper and possibly the best flat ever…………..

buttercup
    Free Member

I am still on AtomLab Trail kings. The newer PIMPs are pretty much the same, but wider, and with differently coated SS pins that aren’t as sharp as the kings.
    But, if you can get ahold of them.. more than worth it.
    Although, they are just a pin short of being the nanos.

honourablegeorge

vondally – Member
    no cullysare lighter,gripper and possibly the best flat ever………

They’re about 570g…. not much lighter.

andyl
    Free Member

my MG-1s came in a 380g for the pair! Use SPDs now but they are held up fine for 2 years of 14+ stone on them.

PJay
    Free Member

Yep SS Nanos here too. I’d probably prefer Straitlines but at £42 Vs £110 it’s no contest.

tamreltom
    Free Member

http://www.merlincycles.co.uk/Bike+Shop/MTB++Parts/Transmission++Gears/Pedals-+MTB/Flat+Pedals/VP+59+CNC+Sealed+Platform+Pedals_VP59.htm

Have owned black pair for the last couple of months. I use them on a weekly basis and am chuffed(with 5:10s)under 400 grammes for £49.00 if you use VIP10 code at checkout.

TheSwede
    Free Member

Only 5 pins per side!

jedi

i will deffo be getting a pair of dmr vaults next wehn my nukeproofs wear out. heard great long term reviews from my mates

GW
    Free Member

5 pins per side is perfect IMO, just not where VP decided to place them 😕

tamreltom
    Free Member

I did consider pins/placement issue before purchasing. I enjoy riding as fast as possible and “airtime” and ride at least twice a week; (In my tiny little mind I AM Brian Lopes!) I agree for a downhill pedal you would require more grip. As you can probably gather I am a fan of them. Ride faster and let gravity do its job.

stuartlangwilson
    Free Member

I’m amazed the industry has some of us parting with £100 for a pair of pedals, me included!

Top tip for pin hole wreckers. Drill and tap new holes if you need them!

p7rich
    Free Member

Vaults. Excellent.

p7rich
    Free Member

(dupe)

colournoise

Was a die hard V8 user until I tried Azonic Fusions.

Have since switched again to SS Nanos. Better in every way. Personally can’t see a better cost/function value anywhere at the minute.

slainte 8) rob

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 46 total)

The topic ‘What are the flat pedals of choice atm?’ is closed to new replies.