Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)
  • What are the differences PIKE V Rev's and which one to buy
  • shredder
    Free Member

Have a set of Fox Float R's which im looking to change.

Looking for travel adjust up to 140 lowest possible weight so air with the 20mm axle.

So what are all the differences and what is different between the Pike and Rev's is it just weight as the travel looks the same. Forks going on a Orange 5.

Any advice would be great.

Cheers

racing_ralph
    Free Member

pikes are now coil only (after market) and revs are are air and 150mm (for 2010)

Robespierre
    Free Member

2009 Rev maxles were basically air pike lowers with rev uppers. 20010 rev races can be had for a great price but are 150mm, although they come with a spacer for internal travel adjustments. They are a new fork and should be half a pound lighter than an air pike, although as the last post says you can only get new coil pikes now. Suppose u turn revs will be available later in the year but I'd also bet the price will be around £600.

MountainMonkey
    Free Member

Yep as ROLF says, Pikes are coil whereas Revs are essentially the new air version of the Pikes.

My hubby has a pair of 2009 revs (so 140mm) on his Orange Five and rates them very highly, they're stiffer than my floats (20mm axle rather than 15mm) and the two air chambers allow you to tweak your pressures very accurately. I think he finds my floats slightly plusher though and his revs are set at 140mm travel.

MountainMonkey
    Free Member

Oh and the 2009 revs are very lighter (as light if not lighter than the floats)

takisawa2

Get Coil Pikes & M.T.F.U 🙂

Orangejohn
    Free Member

Have some coil Pike 454s (alloy steerer) on my Orange 5. Suit really well and are likely to need less maintenance than the air pikes I had before which broke.
    Revs lighter and pretty similar to the old air pikes (If you go down this route carry out lots of lower leg services as the oil can leak. If they run dry the stanchions mark/wear and are almost the price of a new fork to replace).
    Coil pike, heavy, less maintenance.
    Air rev, lighter more adjustable but need more loving care.

shredder
    Free Member

All good advice so need to either MTFU and get coil or have a look at Rev's

Cheers

snakebite
    Free Member

I have 2010 Rev dual air uturns, 150mm travel and super plush, substantially lighter than the dual air uturn Pikes I had before.

Give Craig a bell for best price (ref this site) at Swinnertons 08448 112299

brooess
    Free Member

FWIW I have Air Pikes on my Five and it rocks. Dead solid up front, stiff as, and the 2x air chambers mean you can tune how you like.

MrWoppit
    Free Member

So, if I were to fit 150mm air Revs but only wanted 140mm travel (Orange 5), would it be acceptable to keep them wound down to 140mm for every ride or would this have some detrimental effect in the long term?

snakebite
    Free Member

BE FINE, EXACTLY WHAT i'M DOING

charliemort

yeah it would be fine but reckon they would be perfect at 150mm on a Five

Surfr
    Free Member

If 2010 Pikes are coil only, what are all the Air and Dual Air models on this page?

http://www.sram.com/taxonomy/term/109/brand/rockshox/src/fam

james
    Free Member

"2009 revs are very lighter (as light if not lighter than the floats)"
    The 20mm (pike lowers) ones certainly aren't

A Fox 32 Float QR 140mm '09 was something like 1630g (RLC is heavier, QR15 is heavier)
    A RS Revelation QR 140mm '09 was 1750g ('06-'08 130mm ones were 1740g)
    Given the 20mm axle '09 revs used pike lowers they were a fair bit heavier than QR15 '09 32 Floats I should think

If you thought pikes were overweight, but desperatly wanted coil, you could try and get a Fox 32 Van QR15? They're about 2kg

charliemort

I've achanged from Pikes to Rev's (Pikes were Air U Turn which I never used on a 575) for a bit less weight and a bit more travel, tempted by good price

tbh on the trail performance wise I think they are comparable – Rev's feel at least as stiff and as plush as the Pikes, so I'd go for them

shredder
    Free Member

Thanks for all the advice decision made – new pair of 2010 Rev dual air u turns shall be mine.

Now to sell my floats.

Cheers
    Rich

charliemort

do you need U Turn? – it'll cost you a couple of hundred quid from what i can see

shredder
    Free Member

Yea want the u turn as otherwise I would just stick with my Floats. Find the 5 a bit noddy when climbing at 140 with the floats. So I think with the U turns being able to wind down to 120, and then up to 150 for everything else will be prefect.

I dont subscribe to the Fox knocking as looked at Talas with 15mm QR to replace the Floats. But I cany justify the price over the glowing reviews that the Rev's etc get.

As I say the noddy climbing is only my oppinion.

Cheers
    Rich

charliemort

okies – just that I never used U Turn when I had it – but different bike. Pricey if you're not going to use it but worth it if you are

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)

The topic ‘What are the differences PIKE V Rev's and which one to buy’ is closed to new replies.