Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • What are the differences between a Yari and a Pike fork?
  • mrmoofo

Looking at around 130 mm Yari or Pike … (or Fox)
    What are the differences between them … is it only the damper, or is the Pike worth the extra money …?

Or do Fox (or anyone else) have anything better?
    Thanks

P-Jay
    Free Member

They look similar but they’re quiet different.

Yari is a cut-price Lyrik – stiffer and heavier than a Pike. It uses a Motion Control Damper from the last gen RS forks.

For a 130mm fork the Pike is the chassis to have I’d say, Yari is pretty heavy duty for that much travel, I doubt you’d feel the benefit of the stiffness, but they’re very good value.

mrmoofo

Is it a real world difference that you would notice …
    Or would I have to be a apprentice Steve Peat to realise the difference ….
    It’s kind of looking like a Pike

johnnyboy666
    Free Member

Manitou Mattoc and Xfusion Sweep. I have to say the I find all the magazines very conflicting on the Pike and Yari. The Pike came out with it’s new charger damper and was hailed as a mighty game changer. Loads better than anything that went before. Then the Yari comes along with the old Motion control damper (which was not as good as the mission control damper which is way behind the charger damper apparently) and apparently it’s great and the pike is only marginally better?

Is it possible that the magazines talk a load of bollocks?

John

P-Jay
    Free Member

Is it a real world difference that you would notice …

There’s less than 200g in it weight wise. I’ve found the MoCo damper on my Yari to be excellent as it was on my 26″ Lyriks, but that said I’ve never owned a Charger damped fork.

Personally, I’d buy the Yari and spend the spare on a Lufftkappe – but I’m sure not everyone would agree.

Bagstard
    Free Member

I have a pike at 130mm on my hardtail and a yari with luftkappe at 160mm
    on my full suss and like them both. Ultimately I may buy a charger damper for the yari, but I haven’t felt the need so far.

mrmoofo

And what does the charge damper do ?

doncorleoni
    Free Member

Charger damper gives you an extra r so a little more gnarrr than gnar.

The New RockShox BoXXer – Charged And Ready

To be honest I prefer to stick with the old gen moco / open bath design. Easy to service and work on. Charge damper is a sealed bladder and if that goes pop (which is quite common) the fork has to go on holiday to sram.

mrmoofo

cool …. thanks for the advice …
    Anywhere have Yari 29 forks at a bargain price ?

benpinnick

Easy to service and work on. Charge damper is a sealed bladder and if that goes pop (which is quite common) the fork has to go on holiday to sram.

The bladder replacement is pretty easy to do and a full service kit contains one. No need to send away but I do agree the Moco is easier to work with.

Euro
    Free Member

What type of riding OP? X-Fusion Trace are really good. Have Pikes + Fox but prefer these for their consistent performance on all types of terrain. The performance may not be as sophisticated as rivals but the window is much bigger. Big windows let in more light and light is essential for growth maaaan!

mrmoofo

Riding is XC / Southdowns … but even after a 30 kg weight loss I am still around 105 kgs …
    So looking for something robust.

mikertroid
    Free Member

Have Pikes RC (140mm) and Yari RC (130mm). Yaris probably feel a touch stiffer but other than that I can’t tell them apart.

Lawmanmx
    Free Member

anyone know what air shaft i would need to convert my 130mm Yari to 140mm??? cheers, T

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

The topic ‘What are the differences between a Yari and a Pike fork?’ is closed to new replies.