Viewing 36 posts - 1 through 36 (of 36 total)
  • What are the chances of selling an outdated bike?
  • 2008 S-Works carbon Enduro – pretty decent condition, X-Fusion Vengeance forks, KS Lev, Hope wheels etc, really nice bike, but…

26″ wheels, 1″ 1/8 steerer, QR rear axle etc.

This isn’t a stealth ad – it’s not for sale (yet), just wondering what my chances are.

thepodge
    Free Member

You’ll sell it but likely at nothing close to what you think it’s worth.

johnners
    Free Member

Any bike will sell at the right price. That price may make you just want to leave it in the garage though.

taxi25
    Free Member

As above.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

2 options
    Wait for somebody who thinks it’s worth what you do.
    Set a low price on ebay and let the market decide.

Bustaspoke
    Free Member

As someone who’s bikes are all 26′ & all run front mechs I’d just use it as a spare bike.
    If the price is cheap enough or someone’s looking for one it’ll sell,but lets face it it’s either obsolete or ‘niche’…

bentandbroken

My eBay searches for my son and wife are both based on 26″ in order to get a good bike on a budget

br
    Free Member

You’ll sell it but likely at nothing close to what you think it’s worth.

+1

If you’ve space, park it – might be useful one day.

crazy-legs

I long ago decided that the hassle of selling my MTB (26″ wheels, triple chainset on ISIS BB, 9sp…) was way more trouble and I’d get way less money than simply leaving it there and maybe riding it a couple of times a year.

Financially it’s worth sod all, practically it’s worth more to just keep it.

chakaping
    Free Member

I disagree with some of the responses here.

Perfect time to sell now, plenty of people looking for reasonably priced and well looked after 26″ bikes for summer.

£600 to £800 maybe?

cinnamon_girl

Better to split or sell complete, thoughts appreciated.

chakaping
    Free Member

I’ve been selling a lot of stuff lately and have found its easier to sell by splitting, and you get a bit more if the bits are nice.

But for lower end bikes you probably get more complete, as the parts are worth nothing.

jamj1974

Almost the same situation as me. I have a S-Works Enduro from 2007 with Lev, Pro 2 Evo on Flows, Bos Deville & VIP’R.

I’ve decided to keep mine for several reasons. Firstly, I have 8 years of great memories attached to it. Secondly, I am sure one of my 3 children could get some use out of it. Thirdly, it will make a great spare bike for me or one of my friends. I think all of these outweigh the low price it would achieve…

cinnamon_girl

Helpful replies, thanks. I guess it’s just a case of medium and large sized bikes/frames are more likely to shift compared to a small sized men’s one.

Moses

Having hurt my back being stupid, I will be looking for either a small FS frame or complete bike soon.

jambalaya
    Free Member

OP I am sure its still a great bike, personally I am only interested in 26 and none of my kit/bikes is worn out. If you break it up I could be interested in forks, bars, wheels for a new h/t build. Have a mate who I may be able to talk into buying whole thing (although he hasn’t ridden my BFe is the 4 months its been in his garage). All depends on price

FYI I gave away my 2006 Reign frame to an stw-er as no interest in anyone buying, he offered a few quid and paid fkr postage but I said “just build it and enjoy it”

mattyfez

Really depends.. I’m kinda in the market to buy a 26er frame, possibly fork combo, maybe even a full bike but I’m not that fussed about the hardware attached, so I’m not looking to pay extra for a fancy drive chain etc.
    I’m also 6’2 and most stuff on sale seems to be more a medium size.

monkeysfeet
    Free Member

Same situation for me. Got a brand new PACE RC325.5 which i have been building for ( years). Never used , allbrand new but we are moving house so it has to go. Would love to keep and use but our new place has limited storage.

kerley
    Free Member

You will always get more money if you split it (if all the parts are desirable/good brands etc,.)

Even good 26″ wheels still sell for not bad prices as a lot of us are still using 26″ so there is always some competition on the sale.

renton
    Free Member

Really REALLY wish I hadn’t sold my Turner 5 spot.

On the lookout for a nice example now.

26 isn’t dead.

julians
    Free Member

Same here. I have a 2005 specialized enduro expert thats worth not a lot. I just keep it as a spare bike for when my usual bike is broken

P-Jay
    Free Member

Sold my 26er reasonably quickly by splitting it – wheels sold in a day, forks in a week and frame in 2, even if that did mean posting it to Russia!

The non-wheel size specific stuff sold in 30 mins via the classifieds.

jam-bo

Anything will sell at the right price. Depends whether you need the money/space to justify another bike.

cookeaa

I have some 26″ bits to flog, I think I have been putting it off, lots of faffing with fleabay/classifieds and postage for not a lot of pay off…

I have low expectations at present… [scuttles off to price check on eBay]…

hora
    Free Member

Renton mi old mucka’. I’m here for you dude 😆 😀

JollyGreenGiant
    Free Member

Disagree, I’ve split my Anthem this week. It was a 2010 model,unfashionable XC bike ,straight steerer,QR front and rear,3 X 9.
    So far frame,forks and wheels have netted over £600. Still have the groupset and finishing kit to sell by which time I should get back about £750 which is what I paid for it 3 years ago.

I think people still see the value of a good bike,regardless.

ctk
    Free Member

Split it, keep bits you might want at some point in the future, sell rest on ebay. Quality stuff in good nick always gets good money.

senorj

I’m in a similar position to the op. Unfortunately I have two!! 26″,1″1/8 steerer,nicely finished hardtails.
    i use one as a slop bike and the other is for best. Now the missus has put a spanner in the works ,she wants a “green bike with a basket” so one will have to go- no room in shed for them all! 🙁
    I’ll probably strip it for spares for the other one & sell the frame., if I was the op I’d split….btw I’m looking for a set of hope hubs…:-)

Northwind

Bike like that will have more value than some, I reckon. If it were a 26er XC bike, now those are worth ****-all. But there’s still a reasonable demand for harder use bikes and parts- stuff that people actually ride, and wear out, basically. Not worth what it was but still got some value.

I would probably pull out the seatpost though and sell separately.

I’m not too sure splitting would reap too many rewards – most people that see my bike, see it as a really nice bit of kit, however….

X-Fusion forks, as good as they are, don’t seem to have great residuals
    Hope Tech M4 brakes might sell I suppose
    KS Lev will sell
    Fox RP23 – under a ton
    Wheels, whilst strong and true and look good enough on the bike, maybe have just one battle scar too many to be appealing as a standalone sale.
    Groupset? – ageing XT/XTR 3×9 – not going to fetch a penny

In this case, I think the sum is greater than the value of the parts tbh

Onzadog
    Free Member

I’ve a medium 2005 6 pack with Fox 36 forks and 3×9 xtr drive with hope v2 brakes. I’ll be keeping it as I doubt anyone would offer four figures for it. Below that, it’s worth more to me as a spare.

kerley
    Free Member

In this case, I think the sum is greater than the value of the parts tbh

That depends on what the sum is and if you actually get the sum when you sell it.
    The problem you have is that a lot less people want the whole bike as it is than want the individual parts.

I have bought a few bikes in that past just to split and have never failed to make money but it is definitely more faff so if the difference was only £100 or so I would just sell complete. Put it on as a complete bike at the price you want (open to offers just to see) on eBay and you will soon find out.

chakaping
    Free Member

I think you’re right STR.

And I think there’s a more people who just want to buy a full bike, rather than build one up, at the lower end of the market.

nickgti
    Free Member

I’ve had my 2012 canyon up for sale for weeks, nothing but two stupid offers!

chipkorea
    Free Member

“Groupset? – ageing XT/XTR 3×9 – not going to fetch a penny”

In the last year I have bought brand new XT 3×9 parts – would have been delighted to buy second hand had good condition been available when I was looking. [With hindsight I should have put the money towards upgrading, but I had most of a v. nice groupset and thought “why not spend the extra getting it spot on”.

And you might be surprised – some old guy locally might be looking for 3×9 parts to build up a commuter bike to sell on.

I have just posted a f’ugly silver aluminium MTB stem – £11 incl postage someone paid for something that was deeply unfashionable 10 years ago, unbranded, ugly, 25.4mm bar-clamp.

Sold a 9 speed shimano tiagra long cage rear mech recently – who the **** wants to build a budget road bike with a triple chainset? Someone!!! Sold a Dura Ace 3×9 triple chainset as well – who rides Dura Ace witha triple? No-one yet it sold for £50!

£22 after ebay, paypal and postage costs for a very old XTR 9sp rear mech a month or two back. Got hardly anything for it but even managed to flog a 26″ 7 speed wheelset recently.

SRAM 3×7 grip shifters anyone? Got a few quid for them recently!

OP – a spare bike makes a lot of sense if you have the space and cashflow… if not then try to sell complete, if that fails split it and flog the lot in parts on ebay. Prioritise selling the big bits (frame, forks, wheels), then list the smaller bits collection only if they are very low value (not worth posting), and with postage if they are worth posting. I used to use ebay as a last resort with 99p start no reserve… now I use it as my first port of call – very cheeky asking prices, free P and P, with ‘buy it now or best offer’… see what offers come in, relist lower if it doesn’t sell, with a bit of patience you’ll be surprised, it’ll all go for reasonable money.

Caveat – I do buy quite a lot of old bike, cannabalise, re-build, sell bits on etc and I do make a point of selling EVERYTHING I can however little money I can realise… arguably a fair bit of what I sell is utterly unjustiable from a time / money rational assessment, but its a hobby that complements the riding bikes one!

julians
    Free Member

coincidentally , after I posted on this thread, a chap at work mentioned he wanted a proper full suss mountain bike for his 13 year old son, I told him about my old enduro ,and said he could borrow it for a few days, and if it fitted ok, and he liked the way it rode, he could buy it.

He loved it, and bought it for £350, spec was as follows:-

2005 specialized enduro expert
    Fox 36 rc2 FIT forks
    Fox dhx air 5
    2 x 9 speed shimano xt/slx drive train
    Light bike carbon wheels on hope pro ii hubs
    hayes stroker trail brakes
    superstar alu 780mm bars etc

I guess I could have got more by splitting it and selling bits separately, but that would have been a hassle.

Hopefully he’ll enjoy it, use it loads and ride it into the ground. He certainly seemed very impressed with it compared to his current bike, which was a £200 halfords special.

Viewing 36 posts - 1 through 36 (of 36 total)

The topic ‘What are the chances of selling an outdated bike?’ is closed to new replies.