Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 42 total)
  • What are THE best brakes for CX (non disc)
  • Houns

As above…I need something more powerful than my avid shorty 4’s

simply_oli_y
    Free Member

Why?

Onzadog
    Free Member

Do you mean for cx racing where mud clearance issues should be considered or for use on a cx style frame where mud isn’t an issue?

Houns

To use on my CX bike (that i wont be racing)so mud clearance not a huge issue

Sponging-Machine
    Free Member

I’ll buy the Avids if/when you change them.

Mini-Vs or Vs with a cable run converter should be far more powerful than regular cantis.

Houns

Sponging machine I’ll let you know when i do…Will check mini v’s out

Onzadog
    Free Member

If you want the best stopping power without mud being an issue then I’d say mini v-brakes. I run them on my Tricross. They set very close to the rim and leave a lot of lever throw but that does mean you get a lot of stopping power out of them. I’ve tried Avid style and Froglegg style cantis. I got more rim clearance but they felt wooden and took much more hand force to stop the bike.

My mini-vs were that standard tektro ones than came with them bike but I think Campag do some nice ones.

qwerty
    Free Member

mini V’s

mrmichaelwright
    Free Member

think i’ve still got the mini Vs that came on my tricross if you want them. I’m out of the country for the next week though

mrmichaelwright@hotmail.com

Houns

Cheers all, MrMW i’m going to my LBS later but if i come out empty handed i’ll drop you an email, thanks

qwerty
    Free Member

actually, just thought…

the proverbial rocking horse poo

[thread closed] M A G U R A [/thread closed]

Houns

Heh!

Onzadog
    Free Member

On a cross frame, you could use conventional magura calipers. It’s just finding the lever that’s a PITA plus you then need to look for another shifting solution.

I’ve since bought a Kinesis Tripster, some Hope remote reservoirs and some disc brakes for my next build.

Wasn’t someone on here trying for a hydraulic lever for drop bars? I think he was even trying to fir it in an STi unit.

DickBarton

You want some old-skool XT high profiles cantis – those things were the utter bomb…worked with normal road bike brake levers and just worked brilliantly…the low profile stuff might look nicer but they aren’t as powerful and you need fancy bits on the levers to get enough cable movement.

Mini V’s are gash in comparison to some high progile cantis – only real drawback to high profile cantis is the potential to catch your heels on them as they stick out from the frame…

mcmoonter
    Free Member

These retro XTRs are good but hard to find. I’ve got them on my commuter, they are great for a close clearance frame.

john_l
    Free Member

i’ve got some “full size” Tektro v-brakes & levers (road) if anyone’s interested. Very powerful & nice feeling but not particularly good mud clearance.

Those low profile Colorados are v good value.

andrewh
    Free Member

Qwerty is right with his rocking horse poo. If you find anywhere with Magura HS66s, complete or just levers, let me know!

clunker

firestarter
    Free Member

Mmm Paul ones 🙂

qwerty
    Free Member

If you find anywhere with Magura HS66s, complete or just levers, let me know!

NO NO NO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

#@*^%$£”! LET ME KNOW ^%$£*&’@#

Blazin-saddles
    Free Member

I’ve got TRP euro x mags but wouldn’t buy them again. Would probably go with the new Avid shorty ultimate if your pockets are deep enough, those brakes are awesome.

cynic-al
    Free Member

Long ride to the pool house Pete?

Rorschach
    Free Member

Avid shorty ultimates,not exactly cheap at £100 an end but they nearly work like real brakes (which is a major improvement on everything else available).Not making me any quicker tho!

bigdavevw
    Free Member

TRP Euro canti,s are good, BTW i,m selling my ones if your interested

clubber
    Free Member

Having tried out most of the cantis that are meant to be good, I can definitively say the my xt v brakes with travel adaptors sh!t all over them. Proper night and day.

Coleman
    Free Member

Yet another thread about how useless cx brakes are!
    Why do people buy these bikes when they must know by now what sort of brakes they have. If they were used for their intended purpose, ie racing, you would soon realise that slowing down is the least of your worries! If carefully set up most types will work fine.
    Sorry for the rant, but been racing today, so not feeling particularly philanthropic at the mo.

Edric64
    Free Member

Shorty 6s stopped me on the peaks,they work fine if you set the straddle cable close to the tyre I could still lock both wheels at the bottom of PenyGhent

Sponging-Machine
    Free Member

If they were used for their intended purpose, ie racing, you would soon realise that slowing down is the least of your worries

This is true. I’ve not had any need for more braking power during races (which is why I think discs won’t take off on high-end race bikes). The trouble is that I don’t have another grand to buy a road bike for training, and cantis are scary at 30mph.

mcmoonter
    Free Member

cynic-al – Member
    Long ride to the pool house Pete?

I’m off to buy my plane ticket for the Trans Am next week 8)

Steve-Austin
    Free Member

Who cares about best, when you can have pink
    pink

Houns

Why didn’t you post those earlier?! 😡

aka_Gilo
    Free Member

Pauls Touring cantis on my cx bike. The front squeels like a stuck pig, but they work well, almost (but not quite) v brake levels of stopping power.

Raouligan
    Free Member

Paul here with TRP Cross Holders fitted the shorter road style pads mean that the pads don’t foul fork blades or seat stays, and let me just have one size of pad in the house for both road and cross bike!

No squealing but I run ceramic rims which appear to be utter rubbish in the pouring rain but when any slight form of abrasion is around allow you to stop on a sixpence.

Would look at the Avid’s but the thought of running Avid brakes with Shimano levers makes me feel slightly groupset queasy, maybe i need a new Force gruppo before that will happen….

clubber
    Free Member

Why do people buy these bikes when they must know by now what sort of brakes they have. If they were used for their intended purpose, ie racing,

Because they’re so much more versatile than just limiting them to cx racing.

qwerty
    Free Member

people race ❓

Sanny
    Free Member

Tektro Cr 520s are the business. I’ve been through lots of brakes to the extent of thinking of getting a disc frame then tried these. Bloody marvelous. Terrific mud clearance and easy to set up. Plus they are cheaper than the alternatives. I wouldn’t bother with Pauls.I have a set of their V brakes- overengineered tosh that work worse than basic Deore.

Cheers

Sanny

Sanny
    Free Member

Oh and you have to watch your frame if you use v brakes. I tried them briefly on my Ritchey but when I saw the outward force the placed on the seatstays, I ditched them immediately.

clubber
    Free Member

The inference from that though is that v-brakes have a lot more power then if they’re really flexing the frame/fork that much. Then consider that people are claimg to have lock up power from their cantis which means that unless the v-brake rider is locking up all the time then there’s no more stress on the frame compared to cantis – simple physics innit 😉

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 42 total)

The topic ‘What are THE best brakes for CX (non disc)’ is closed to new replies.