• This topic has 18 replies, 14 voices, and was last updated 12 years ago by jhw.
Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)
  • What are the best 6" single crown forks for £500
  • jhw
    Free Member

Is there a consensus?

RobHilton
    Free Member

2nd hand ones? Poss with cash to spare – I had a set of mint condition Domains for £150.

Good job I like heavy bikes 🙂

warpcow
    Free Member

Do Wiggle still have those Marz. 44 RC3s on offer? If yes, they’re unbeatable.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    bonfield-jones
    Free Member

If I was a rich man, then I would purchase Fox 36’s. As I know you ride in the alps alot I would recomend a coil version for there feel when riding down big mountains. Get them from Mojo direct and chat with them and get the right spring and tuning etc etc. After you have used them get them regularly serviced.
    As I am not a rich man then I can reccomend rockshox lyriks. Purely because they seem to take a bit more of a beating and last longer than the 36. Sure they both feel different but as I have got through three sets of stanchions on 36’s and none on the lyriks this is what i reckon is best.
    I use coil u turn lyriks with a medium spring and weigh 72kg. i have used the softer spring. I have taken the floodgate out of the damper cartridge to improve the sensitivity. The rockshox seem easier to self service also.

michaelmcc
    Free Member

Second fox or rock shox lyrik would be my choice.

Hob-Nob
    Free Member

Second hand Fox 36 Van RC2.

If you are lucky, you might even sneak a 2011 fit one with the silly gold stanchions.

jhw
    Free Member

Nah has to be new – need warranty protection

The Marzocchis are hard to find – I’m thinking either Fox or Rock Shox?

RobHilton
    Free Member

need warranty protection

What for? If my £150 forks explode I’ll get some more 2nd hand ones and still be way below the RRP.

davidtaylforth
    Free Member

For what sort of riding?

If your doing LT xc mince lite then you’ll get away with one of these new breed of sub 4lb 150mm travel rock shox or fox forks.

If your riding downhills properly then you may need something bigger like rock shox lyriks or marzocchi 55’s or Fox 36’s

fivespot
    Free Member

Wiggle had Marz 55 RC3 Ti’s for £457 just over a week ago, 8 pairs left then, but at that price there won’t be many, if any left.

jhw
    Free Member

Quick question for a stupid

Is it possible to get an adapter so a 15mm hub will fit on a 20mm axle?

Doug
    Free Member

Depends what hub it is.

trickydisco
    Free Member

I use coil u turn lyriks with a medium spring and weigh 72kg. i have used the softer spring. I have taken the floodgate out of the damper cartridge to improve the sensitivity. The rockshox seem easier to self service also.

So you prefer the medium spring?

I ask because i’ve just bought a set of lyriks off crocodilian from here and i’m 70kg

forgotmename
    Free Member

I think you need 36;s on your bike, the front of yours looks tiny compared to mine at the mo, locked to each other in a shed in france! i got a set of2010 36s float fit rc2’s, i could put them on your bike for you on friday.?

Northwind

jhw – Member

Nah has to be new – need warranty protection

Not so much, not with a big coil fork that doesn’t have Fox written on the side anyway 😉

stevede
    Free Member

If you can find a set of the reduced 2010 marzocchi 55 rc3 ti’s then i’d personally go for them, Ed Oxley wrote them up well and i know that he puts his test products through there paces. Another big plus is the 3 year warranty with no service stipulations.

Pauly

Wait for the new coil, travel adjust bolt through Sektors for £409.99

jhw
    Free Member

thx, I’ll do that.

jhw
    Free Member

I think you need 36;s on your bike, the front of yours looks tiny compared to mine at the mo, locked to each other in a shed in france! i got a set of2010 36s float fit rc2’s, i could put them on your bike for you on friday.?

haha, nice!

Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)

The topic ‘What are the best 6" single crown forks for £500’ is closed to new replies.