Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • What are the benefits of aluminium brake pads over steel?
  • PJay
    Free Member

The quoted 50% weight saving seems rather pointless on something as tiny as brake pads (well, to me anyway) are there any meaningful benefits to an aluminium backing materail over steel for break pads? Some adverts suggest ‘better performance’ but in what way?

devs
    Free Member

When the pad material seperates and falls out, alu pads won’t score your rotors as badly!

thefallguy
    Free Member

if you want to be a true weight weenie then ‘every little helps’

thomthumb
    Free Member

specific heat capacity of aluminum is a lot lower than steel, the aluminium will dissapate heat better than steel but it is also more conductive.

gin is preventing me making any sense of this. I’m sure it’s all relative.

njee20
    Free Member

Who does alu pads now? Superstar seem to have stopped which was a shame, there was a noticable weight difference when you held both, and as they cost basically the same, and worked as well, if not better, there’s not really any reason not to use them!

zaskar
    Free Member

I think titanium backplate pads would be ideal but cost more.

Will Alu deform? are they fine for brakes? -tested before sold I guess.

Anybody know if it matters?

winstonsmith

when will we see carbon fibre backed pads? that’s what i’m waiting for

thefallguy
    Free Member

avid does an alu pad for juicys

njee20
    Free Member

Are you sure about that?

I know they do for Elixirs, some of the brakes come with them, I think the aftermarket ‘organic’ ones are alu backed, but they’re both steel on Juicys.

XTR M970s are ti backed, they cost £35 each or sommat!

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

The topic ‘What are the benefits of aluminium brake pads over steel?’ is closed to new replies.