Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • What are prices and demand like for 2nd hand 26" wheel frames?
  • mtbtomo
    Free Member

Thinking about selling my mountain bike. Its a 26er full suss carbon and was about £3k new 2 years ago. I’ve only ridden it about 5 times this year but wondering if selling up and getting a new mtb next spring might inspire me.

But I don’t want to sell if I’m only going to get peanuts for it. I guess I could split off the components – XT chainset, Havoc carbon bars, Formula RX brakes etc etc and they’d be worth as much as they usually would, but I don’t want to do that if I’d be virtually giving away an frame for an “unfashionable” wheel size.

So its more of a general question than a “whats it worth”.

Anyone had any selling experience recently?

br
    Free Member

If the thought of the depreciation isn’t enough to inspire you to just ride it then, how about the thought of selling the next one you buy and then don’t rides’ depreciation?

mikewsmith
    Free Member

First rule…

Wheel it out the shop drop 50%
    Take 10% per year after that.

Then depends on the model if it’s something from a big brand they may have the same model new hanging round at a silly low price still.

YoKaiser
    Free Member

Whats the frame?

suburbanreuben
    Free Member

General opinion seems to be lose 50% as you walk out the LBS and 10% per year thereafter. Obviously, some bikes are more desirable than others. What frame is it, a well known brand or no-name Chinese?
    You’ll probably make more money by splitting it.

mtbtomo
    Free Member

As the kids get slightly older, I’ll probably need a mtb to go for proper rides with them but I was thinking something a bit more xc orientated.

I’m just spending all my time road riding at the moment.

Not that bothered about depreciation so much as getting even less just cos its now an old wheel size.

And I’d probably sell and then wait a while to see if I got any great desire back to go mtbing.

chakaping
    Free Member

I’ve sold a couple of 26in FS frames this year, and a full bike, so can hopefully give you some useful feedback rather than silly “rules”.

My experience is that 140mm+ frames still get reasonable money.

Shorter travel frames are very difficult to shift even at bargain prices unfortunately.

mtbtomo
    Free Member

Its a Lapierre Zesty 714.

I feel like I’ve had enough use out of it over the last couple of years but has 29″ and 27.5″ models affected the ease of selling 26″ stuff?

mtbtomo
    Free Member

Going to go have a look in the bike shop, see if anything shiny can spark some excitement, before I do anything rash!

soobalias
    Free Member

from what i see, 26″ has an effect on price, but so to will a 27.2mm seatpin or a straight steerer 1&1/8th headtube. The HT you can get round if you are selling a set of well suited, well serviced, great condition forks with the frame. The limited dropper options on 27.2 can be a deal breaker for some.

nikk
    Free Member

Loosing 50% just taking it out the shop is rubbish. More like 10 to 20%. Then 30 – 40% 1st year, then 10% a year after that.

fasthaggis

I’ve only ridden it about 5 times this year

I feel like I’ve had enough use out of it over the last couple of years

😯

Doesn’t read like another bike would change anything.

Keep it for going out with the family,it will last till the next wheel size revolution 😉

mikewsmith
    Free Member

remove it from the shop and the warranty is gone, it’s used and despite the fact it’s “only been ridden” 5 times it could have been hammered, never washed after a ride, bearings could be shot, forks/shock in need of a service. Thats a heap of cash to spend potentially with no come back.
    I’ve had 2 or 3 1 year old full bikes that were all less than 50% RRP.

mtbtomo
    Free Member

No, its been ridden 5 times this year, quite a bit more the year before and when I first got it.

Its not “how much for a barely ridden bike compared to new”, the question is “if I sell my 26″ used full suss, will I have to sell it for £2.50 to get rid of it?”

Oh and the bearings/pivots are all smooth, its all heli taped, forks serviced, lovely condition 😉 🙂

chakaping
    Free Member

You’ll probably get £500-£600 for the frame. Maybe more if you find the right buyer.

Not the best time of year to sell though.

suburbanreuben
    Free Member

Stick it on Ebay. You’ll soon find out it’s value.

continuity
    Free Member

Don’t despair OP, that’s basically exactly what I’m looking to buy. Well, if it were a large.

But the truth is yes – the second hand 26 market is split into a) people who haven’t realised their bike isn’t going to sell and still think their secondhand 26in frame is worth over £600, b) people who have realised this, and so have priced to sell and c) people who have stuck it on eBay not really knowing the difference.

An example of c) is a trek fuel ex 9.9 carbon i narrowly missed the other day for £250.

dobiejessmo
    Free Member

I would keep it your be lucky to get much for it these days.I sold an Trek EX8 2011 one in 2011 and lost a lot on it.Also got silly offers.MTB market is declining and you are always against the shops at this time of year when they knock of a lot of money of bikes.Saw the other day a 29er full suss in evans with a £1000 off 2014 model if you you were selling one of these secondhand you are going to take a big hit.You might be lucky and get what you want.

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)

The topic ‘What are prices and demand like for 2nd hand 26" wheel frames?’ is closed to new replies.