Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 80 total)
  • what are peoples motives?
  • mastiles_fanylion
    Free Member

Sad.

But people are grown-ups and can make their own decisions about whether they ride or drive on any given occasion.

miketually
    Free Member

But people are grown-ups and can make their own decisions about whether they ride or drive on any given occasion.

Quite.

But still sad.

trail_rat
    Free Member

jabba – no its trying to get to the dyce/inverurie roundabout and onto the road to the haudagain ! – your not the same chap that sits behind me with jabbathehut on his hardhat i hope….

cheers_drive

I used to cycle to work 2 miles each way and loved it, even in bad weather. It was so much easier to get motivated to go out for a ride when you've just had to cycle home in the wet and cold.
    I now spend an hour (30 miles) each way in the car which isn't healthy for my body or mind getting out of warm dry box to go cycling in the cold and wet is just not motivating.

miketually
    Free Member

A similar thinking is why I'd legalise cannabis.

But still sad.

And councils should provide the infrastructure to allow people to freely make the choice, rather than feeling it's unsafe to make one choice.

duckman

Tr, tell me you are not working for Haliburton……

Karinofnine

Big fat women pass me in their big fat four wheel drives taking their big fat kid to school. Then they drive to Starbucks and get a skinny latte, then drive to the gym and go on the exercise bike.

Discuss…

jabbathehut
    Free Member

I might be………but nope. Not me.

Did i read on here that you work for wetherford??

Im off to inspect one of their saudi rigs tomorrow.

D0NK

But given the impact on their health, their wallet, the environment(contentious issue) and alsorts of other things it is sad.
    (and i'd guess a hell of a lot of those sub 3mile journeys are sub 1mile easily walkable never mind bikeable)

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

3.2 miles form home to work

cycling:
    +fitness
    -wet
    -sweaty
    -dangerous

car:
    -weight gain 🙁
    +dry
    +reasnoble teperature (depending on whether i remember to switch the heater on/off before i left)
    +safer
    +I dont spend the rest of the day dosed up on painkillers because my knees given up.
    +can go to the gym after work to counteract part 1, in a nice place, thats not freezing cold and wet, where people arent trying to kill me, and is populated by a higher proportion of single women (if you'r in a steady relationship you get lazy, fact!)

Going to get a scooter at some point and save the engine from an early death.

Drac

Big fat women pass me in their big fat four wheel drives taking their big fat kid to school. Then they drive to Starbucks and get a skinny latte, then drive to the gym and go on the exercise bike.

Discuss…

You like stalking fat women.

D0NK

Keva
    Free Member

Why can't you go home for lunch if you drive in?

erm… because it takes ages to get through the traffic in a car !

uplink
    Free Member

I could drive if I wanted but I find walking and listening to some tunes is a far nicer way to start the day than getting stressed in a car. Same for the homeward trip, arrive home chilled out rather than raging..

You may want to look at dealing with your anger issues there

just a thought

aP
    Free Member

Maybe once a month I might drive in, its 5 miles and can take up to an hour and a half. However sometimes I need to take specific things in which don't travel well in a rucsac. Mostly I cycle in, it take less than 20 minutes, sometimes I get a bit wet – but not very often. I do once a month come in with a Bob-Yak bringing stuff for one of the local charidee shops and taking home groceries, and if I'm lucky I get caught up with some of the local bike shop boys on the way home and forced to go for a cheeky half with them which I definitely can't do in a car.
    It can get a bit stimulating at times though with some of the "interesting driving".

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

some of the commutes that people do I simply cannot understand. In Edinburgh one of the main roads to the west is clogged solid with cars for several miles every rush our – I can overtake several hundred cars in the course of a couple of miles. It can take an hour and usually at least half an hour to drive this couple of miles.

My life will always be organised so as to avoid that – sitting in cars going almost no where for a couple of hours a day? Nothing is worth that to me and I cannot understand why anyone would do it.

stuartlangwilson
    Free Member

Why do they drive to Dyce?

Easy. Overweight semi alcoholic oilfield trash ken fine that Stone Island jumpers are not very warm, and their beige Timberlands will be ruined in rain.

Fair point about the wind in NE scotland!

chopperT
    Free Member

Jesus 5th elephant, If you need to shower after riding 3miles you should seriously look at your fitness level, or prehaps back off a little, it's not a TT. Even changing clothes is probably unnessecary, I'm sure you can do without spds, lined shorts and whatever technical fabric jacket is required this month by the STW fashionistas for the 8 minutes it'll take.

DrP

This shower argument can be closed by the fact that if you shower at work, you DON'T shower at home, no? Therefore the 'extra' shower time can't really be counted!

I hate sitting in the car in traffic, hence cycling to work. I know that (whatever the weather) it'll always take me X minutes to cycle, therefore can closely time my day. If I were to drive, I'd have to leave at least 30 min before in order to account for possible delays.

I find now that any time spent in the car drives me mad! Unless it's after 8 in the eve, or I'm driving from town to town (i.e leaving my hometown) then riding is ALWAYS quicker, door to door.

DrP

5thElefant
    Free Member

Jesus 5th elephant

I quite like that. Better than Mr.

chopperT
    Free Member

🙂

aP
    Free Member

Is cycling to get to work (or college/ uni/ whatever) such a new concept to you guys?
    Some of us have been doing it since the mid 80s.
    It is quite amusing seeing a whole new set of excuses as to why people have to drive 2 or maybe 3 miles.

uplink
    Free Member

Is cycling to get to work (or college/ uni/ whatever) such a new concept to you guys?

Nope – I've never cycled to work

buzz-lightyear
    Free Member

This shower argument can be closed by the fact that if you shower at work, you DON'T shower at home, no

I don't usually shower in the morning – can't you smell?

When I cycle to work I have to get up about 1 hour earlier to start work at the same time. Even earlier to take a bus.

Reluctant
    Free Member

I agree with TJ – i organise my life so as to avoid a long commute. I know it's not possible for everyone though. Property prices is a lot of the problem – people can't afford to live near work, so buy homes in commuter belts and drive in each day. We live in Bracknell (one hell of a town!), my mrs drives into London every day. She can do it, i cant, i ride 2.5 miles into town centre. I've got a crazy co-worker though. He lives closer to work than me, but still drives in, and pays £6 a day in the multistorey car park. Nuts!and the sort of short car journey that clogs the roads for people really going somewhere.

Yetiman
    Free Member

I spent years going in and out of Dyce (Kirkhill side) with no real problems but I was lucky to have a job with flexi-time so I worked around the busy periods when I had the car and cycled in every now and again. It was also nice to be able to head up to Kirkhill after work, ride for 90 minutes then cycle home to the centre of Aberdeen.
    Unfortunately a lot of people just don't understand the concept of cycling to work. For many the last time they will have cycled will have been the day before they passed their driving test.

trail_rat
    Free Member

yetiman just arranging my stuff/lockers so i can carry minimal kit and have a prework ride up kirkhill as we are just off the dyce carpark access road

Yetiman
    Free Member

tr – are you familiar with the trails on the other side of the road from Kirky? There's some okay stuff there for extending the ride time.

landcruiser
    Free Member

No doubt in an ideal world everyone reading this would Cycle to work,at least on the finer days.
    I have never worked anywhere (I work from home now) that had suitable changing/showering facilities, and it doesn't leave any flexibility…… unexpected late meeting, collect kids from friends, etc.

If your working environment encourages you riding in, then consider yourself fortunate.

fwb2006
    Free Member

uplink – Member

You may want to look at dealing with your anger issues there

just a thought

I agree, this is why I do not drive.

Marge
    Free Member

I would love to be able to cycle in to the office but that would be 3 hours each way at best & have no desire to move house as it suits the rest of the family perfectly (and I like it to apart the journey to work)

Next best thing is a motorbike which saves me 1 hour a day which allows me to see my kids in the morning & evening which would otherwise be impossible.

trio25
    Free Member

I hate commuting by car now, but it took a while and its habit. After a while in the car you look out and think how horrible it looks. When you are actually out in it it is never that bad!

Mat

'can understand if you lived 30 miles away or something and those 30 miles dont go near a station…… but to sit for an hour to move 3 miles cant be productive to your free time !'

Is this a don't call Mat a lazy bastard clause Terry?

I go in for 7.15 and leave at 16.30 before the Aberdeen traffic gets bad anyway

Mat

Ooooh and what if your feeling run down, do people operate a 'not fit enough to ride not fit enough to work policy'. I sometimes feel that riding in crap weather will guarantee the onset of a cold (when already feeling run down)

jimmy

TJ – Corstorphine by any chance? Took me an hour to get from Roseburn to the Gyle once. Once because I never did it again…

kimbers

im lucky i live 5 miles from work we have showers and lockers

bad weather has never stopped me from cycling, there are these things base layers, waterproofs, sealskins too
    its a 20-25min cycle vs a 40 min tube ride

i only ever tube it if im going to the pub later for a big one, which is quite rare

i save a grand a year get 45mins of exercise a day, dont pump out nasty toxic carcinogenic smog or sanity damaging noise pollution

i can listen to my ipod, in 5 years never been in an accident and know that regardless of what happens at work ill enjoy the commute

imho anyone who doesnt cycle a commute of less than 5 miles without a real reason is a lazy twunt

woffle
    Free Member

But I don't expect many people to ride 20 miles each way to work every day.

I do! Depending on the station I ride to it's between 6 and 30 miles+ each way and for the last six months or so I've done the 20 mile route each way, 4 or 5 days a week depending on whether I'm working from home at all.

Given the choice I'm sure when it's bucketing down I would be a lazy bugger and drive some of it but last year I sold my car so I don't have that option. In just over a year on my commute I've done over 5000+ miles, have lost a couple of stone and saved at least £2000 in petrol, running costs, parking and train tickets (I shortened the distance of my annual season ticket to make myself ride further) and not thinking about depreciation. And I get to spend some of this on shiny bike bits with a minimum of guilt as a result which is a bonus

toby1

Even at a middling pace I can still get door to door in about 4 minutes – but I'm a jammy git who lives and works on the same stretch of road. Not often you can do that though I appreciate.

I'll be buying a place sometime next year and am really hoping to get myself a decent bike commute as a result of the move would be good if I can convince the wife to keep cycling too as it keeps car running costs right down!

People are averse to cycling beacuse they think of it as more of a hassle than it actually is and because too many people buy cheap poorly spec'd bikes that suffer from faults on every ride.

langy
    Free Member

Ooooh and what if your feeling run down, do people operate a 'not fit enough to ride not fit enough to work policy'. I sometimes feel that riding in crap weather will guarantee the onset of a cold (when already feeling run down)

I find by riding in I am healthier = less illness; sitting on the train with some random next to you blowing their nose whilst another sneezes over you – that is a recipe for getting ill.

I don't even have a full driving license (although in the middle of changing that) so don't have the option; even if I did, bugger all parking near work and no way of making the drive to my work pleasant; a bunch of crappy busy roads whichever way I try to work it.

Only advantage to driving in I can see is putting the bike in the back and going to some decent trails for a good ride before going home!!

miketually
    Free Member

Healthy people are ill less frequently than unhealthy people.

I now have a mental image of sniffly people, with runny eyes, dosed up on Day Nurse operating a tonne of metal at 60mph.

Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 80 total)

The topic ‘what are peoples motives?’ is closed to new replies.